For Audio: Is HDMI output better or Optical for DVD player.

Shakes.
Unregistered guest
Hello All,
Tried to look up this info on internet, couldn't find much info.
I have Panasonic DVD-S77 up-converting DVD Player, which has HDMI output as well as Optical. I have Denon 3806 receiver which has both inputs as well. I have Vienna acoustics speakers.

I know for Video, HDMI output is best, so I use that to go to my Sony HDTV.
But I wanted to know, for Audio(from DVD player to Receiver), which output will give best sound quality? I need to finalize one.
Thanks in advance,
Shekhar.

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 201
depends on cable quality... some people think that you lose quality when you convert to an optical signal.

Shakes
Unregistered guest
Sorry, your posting doesn't help me yet. :-) May be i need to do more research along those lines.
Anyone has any experience in those outputs?
-Shakes.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 565
"some people think that you lose quality when you convert to an optical signal."

How do you loose quality in a digital signal?

Unregistered guest
I may be wrong here, but I believe HDMI only carries video signal. If this is the case, then the optical connection would probably give you lots better sound, since HDMI would be giving you none...

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 206
HDMI carries both signals. It can carry your full 5.1 audio without changing data type. There are some quirks with it because of HDCP. If you are looking for an answer that will say whether one will sound cleaner or warmer then you are splitting hairs. You won't hear the difference unless you have bad connectors.

I am not saying that I agree with the thought but I have read that converting to another medium can have small errors. Not noticable in my opinion. I can see that it is adding another 2 steps in the process by converting it to a light transmission and back to an electrical one.

EITHER WAY.....

Use what you want. I found that in my case I could get done with 1 wire what used to take 4. (YPrPb and optical)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us