Sony STR-DB1080 setup problem - distortion

Username: Peteuk

Post Number: 1
Hi,

Firstly, apologies if this is the wrong section of the forum - it seemed the most appropriate.

I recently bought a second-hand Sony STR-DB1080 receiver and am having a problem with it - basically when the amp is first switched on everything is fine but then the sound from all speakers (5.1) starts to distort after the amp has been running a little while (how long this takes varies, anything from 10 mins to 2 hours before it starts).

This happens no matter what the source (radio, digital TV (analogue inputs) or DVD (digital coax)) but only when using the surround processing i.e. if I switch it to 'analogue direct' then the distortion immediately stops (but then you only get 2 channel sound from analogue sources).The distortion occurs no matter what surround processing is used (DD, DTS, DTS-ES, DD-EX, Sony's Digital Cinema Sound, Prologic, Prologic II etc).

I've searched this forum but haven't been able to find anything useful so thought I might see if anyone could help.

I have the receiver set up with pre-outs going to my Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 surround system that came with my Dell PC (the sub has an amp in it which powers the speakers. http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/acc/ada995/ if you need to any info) All speakers are 8 ohm so I've set the impedance selector on the back of the amp to 8 ohm, although I've also tried 4 ohm, which has no effect on the problem. I've also tried wiring the speakers directly to the normal speaker-outs rather than the pre-outs, which worked fine but produced the same distortion. The distortion is even produced when headphones are connected, although as above it stops when using 'analogue direct.'

I've tried moving the system to a different room, in case there was interference from something else, but the same thing still happens.

I've tried changing pretty much all of the amp settings that seemed appropriate and have reset the amp settings and the surround field settings, but nothing helped.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 196
How much air circulation room do you have around the top and sides of the receiver. How warm does it get?

Username: Peteuk

Post Number: 2
On the sides it's got about an inch (but no vents on the side anyway) the top has about a foot of free air above it and the bottom has about an inch.

I've also had it running in a different room with nothing anywhere near it and the same effect occurs. I'd guess it is heat related given that it takes time to occur (warm up time?) but I've no ideas beyond that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us