Size and brand of sub ???

I have a Fluance 5-speaker system running off a Yamaha RX-730 receiver. All in all, the front towers deliver pretty good base, but I would like to add a subwoofer. My question is, do I need to go big because my fronts do deliver a fair amount of base (as opposed to front 'mini' or satellite speakers?) I was considering the Energy s8.2 (8 inch) sub. Any comments appreciated. Thanks!

Ron

Anonymous
the Sony SAWM40 is the best sub for the money, (check reviews at Audioreview.com. I have two of them and would not consider any other-read the reviews. I am also considering buying the fluance hts for our upstair playroom do you like yours? PS you can buy the Sony subs on Ebay for around 135.00

I am very pleased with the Fluance HT system, other than having everyone say "who the hell is Fluance?". Great sound, quality construction and great price. So what is with the Sony SAWM40 sub? Is it ok for music and HT? The price seems right, but I get a little scared by anything that says Sony.

Ron

Anonymous
the Sony SAWM40 subwoofer has the ability to go as low as 20 mhz where most subs go to only 30-35. True enough Sony is not ranked up there on my must buy brand for most products, however I have two of these subs and they are great and I still havent spent 1/2 what a comparable sub would cost. Check out the reviews at these links

http://www.audioreview.com/Subwoofers/Sony+SA-WM40/PRD_124407_2741crx.aspx

http://www.cheaphometheater.com/sony-sawm40.htm

Anonymous
Wanted to say the Energy s8.2 sub is very nice! good choice.

Ron Brierley
Hi,
I've placed the order for the Sony sawm40 sub, now comes the age-old question - should I hook it up speaker -level (ie: with speaker wire from the amp) or run it line level (RCA's to the sub???)

Thanks,

Ron

Anonymous
If your receiver has sub pre amp out use line level, on the Sony you dont need Y-connector just plug in to the red input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us