A brief education is required

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 16
I would appreciate a brief education in the relationship between the components in a home theater.

I have selected a sony front projector and a 92 inch carada screen, 7.1 paradigm monitor speakers, 12 gauge speaker cables, belden 1694A coax and canare connectors.

Now I need to select an AV receiver, DVD player/ recorder and universal remote (for starters).

My confusion relates to the requirements of a dvd player/recorder when combined with a receiver.

Simply put, if I buy a good receiver (Denon 3806 for example) do I need to buy a DVD player loaded with features, or will the signal processing in the receiver be redundant.

Does this make any sense? A little help with the jargon so I can continue research would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 180
Simply put...
"Garbage in, garbage out." - Period.

The DVD player is doing the processing for the video.

Unregistered guest
i would recommend buying a denon dvd player as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 37
Here is a link that I think will help you select a DVD player.

Denon has always led the pack but they are starting to get some competition. Oppo Digital and Panasonic come to mind.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

As a side note. Many of us run the video out of our DVD Players directly to the display device. Just prevents the possibility of video degredation by taking one more component out of the loop.

Hope this link helps.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 529
While taking a receiver out of the loop of the video connection can have some merits, it is hard to believe that Denon would put inferior technology into its high end receivers that would degrade its video. After all they do make some of the better DVD players in the market. Why would they interfere with signal pass through?

Now granted video switching feature is simply a convinience and not a necessity and upscaling is not necessary in case of a good DVD sending signals to a TV (projection), but I doubt you will see much difference in either bypassing or going through the receiver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Uhhh,

Thanks for the link - I think. It reaffirmed my suspicion of just how much I don't know.

I guess I have more research to do.

Could you suggest a model of DVD player to match the Denon 3806 in my system?

Silver Member

Post Number: 530
Go with the Denon 2200 or 2900 series ( I think the latest in the 2910) or the 3910 if you can afford it.

Bronze Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 39
If money were no object, I would go with one that has the DenonLink. I think that is the 3910 but double check, there may be new models that also have it.

The cable costs saved may even justify the price, depending what interconnects you acquire.

Having SACD and DVD Audio capabilities would be an added plus.

What connection(s) does your display have?

If it has DVI and I wanted to save some coin, I would be very tempted to get the latest Oppo Digital unit. It makes the Denon 5900 look a litte overpriced.

Happy Holidays!

P.S. I have not heard the audio capabilities of the Oppo, so take my comments in reference to the video side only.

Bronze Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 40
Stof,

Old habits die hard and in some instances, you may save on cable runs, depending on the number of sources, number of display devices, what inputs and outputs you have available, and whether or not you are going to need to buy a switch box or not because of the items listed above.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
My research has led me to a precipice.

Much of my concern has been to get HDMI compatible equipment because my sony projector supports it.(it also supports s-video)

But - the projector is about 25 feet from the AV receiver.

From what I have been reading, I may be unsatisfied with the signal transmission over this distance using HDMI.

Considering I have spent considerable money and effort sourcing good component cables, should I even bother with HDMI?

If HDMI isn't a factor, I believe there are some good deals on AV receivers out there. Denon 3805 for example.

Note : The DVD player will be beside the AV receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 544
"From what I have been reading, I may be unsatisfied with the signal transmission over this distance using HDMI."

What have you been reading? How do you loose digital signals?

I think you should definitly go with HDMI if you have the resources ($)

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us