Surround Sound Question

Username: Yankeemaniac3

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a new Sony 5.1 surround sound system and it sounds great when movies and everything are playing, but when everything is turned off and just the receiver is on, you can hear a low hum coming from the speakers. Is this normal, or should I return it and get a better system?

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 66
Might be a simple ground-loop problem. Unplug the source devices from the receiver 1 at a time and see if the hum stops (volume down or receiver off when plugging/unplugging, and don't bother with opto-connected devices... opto connection will not contribute to a ground-loop). Also disconnect the cable from your TV or cable box as part of the investigation.

If you identify the source connection causing the hum, try reversing the power plug of the source unit in the wall socket (if it will let you, most these days are polarized). If this doesn't help you need to check the grounding of the wall plug, and may need an isolator like this in the audio path:
http://www.xitel.com/product_gli.htm

If the problem is associated with the cable, you need an isolator like this:
http://www.cencom94.com/gpage.html8.html
HTH!

Username: Meathome

I have read conflicting messages about the ability of the SONY DAV-DZ100 to handle audio in, say from a set top box, through the one and only SCART on the receiver. Does anyone have a definitive answer as to whether it can or can't before I unpack and set it up!

Username: Launsu

i have a surround sound problem:i have it hooked up and its great now i want to get the surround sound on cable tv also. we bought the wires(digital coax cable rca-to-rca)our tv doesnt have anything in back to hook anything too.where do we hook it into on the receiver and where do we hook the other end?

Silver Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 109
Lisa, you should have started a new thread for your question. You'd get more people to read it. In your case, you have a couple of options. One is to get a cable box. YOur cable box should have the digital coax output. If not, you would have to hook it up to your reciever via either a VCR or a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) that has a tuner.

Unregistered guest
I have a hdtv stb and a sony se591 reciever, i get analog sound through the reciever fine but i want the digital audio broadcast, my reciever lights up blue and has the 3/2 format displayed along with all surround effect but no output. i have tried both coaxial and optical connects. am i doing something wrong?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us