OK, so give me a Bose lifestyle 35 equivalent!!!

Username: Dazhoop

Portsmouth, Hampshire England

Post Number: 1
I have read many, many posts and I get it - stay away from Bose.

But I have 2 problems ......

1) The wife - no more floor standing speakers, masses of speaker and power cabling, and several different units taking up space in the living room - minimalism is the way forward.

2) My career means that I move house, home, country and sometimes continent every few years.

However, all is not lost. I have traded off the loss of separates in the lounge against the green light to purchase 42" LCD HDTV, Xbox 360, and build that media centre I have been going on about and stream TV, MP3s and movies about the house wirelessly!

So, we still need sound and convenience in small minimalist package. And so the Bose Lifestyle 35 comes into play (I use this particular version as I don't need the U-Music storage space).Why:

a) Adaptiq - I never know what type of home I am going to move into next (and I don't get that much time to look around) and so something that learns about my environment struck me as useful

b) The sub can be "hidden" and the control unit is tiny and hides with the sub, thus keeping with the miniamlist theme.

c) The speakers are small (think minimalist, although I haven't mentioned to her that the rears are wired!)

d) Bose Link - The fact that (for a premium price) I can transmit around the home and garden without wires.

e) Sound quality seems quite good to my non-tuned ears that really haven't heard that many home theatre set-ups. TBH, once I have all these components I am not going to be upgrading for quite some time.

f) The dual voltage products mean some more of the world opens up to me and reduces the amount of money in buying conversion units.

But I read what I would consider mostly expert opinions on here, and Bose does seem a gimmicky overpriced option - so what else is there? Remember, separates are out. I need a product that sounds prety good, can be easily transported, is small and functional. Is there an equivalent product out there?

Throw me some ideas peeps, it would be greatly appreciated and if it saves some money too, that's good, although if I'm thinking of Bose I can say money isn't TOO much of an option, but again, for my under-trained ears I am not going to go mad.

Username: Dazhoop

Portsmouth, Hampshire England

Post Number: 2
Right, by the lack of response it seems there isn't anything to compete with the clever features provided by the Bose lifestyle series. However, I have noticed myself that Sony have made a totally wireless solution, but Yamaha have the Y800 (?) which is one speaker-does-(nearly)all, or perhaps those KEF Kit 100's? They don't have as many features, but they fit in with the small, transportable package and sound good. Still, perhaps Bose isn't so bad after all, eh?

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 97
"a) Adaptiq - I never know what type of home I am going to move into next (and I don't get that much time to look around) and so something that learns about my environment struck me as useful"

You might want a receiver with auto room eq. That way you can get good in room response no matter where you go.

"b) The sub can be "hidden" and the control unit is tiny and hides with the sub, thus keeping with the miniamlist theme."

Any sub can be hidden, that is nothing special.

"c) The speakers are small (think minimalist, although I haven't mentioned to her that the rears are wired!)"

How small do you need, would small bookshelf speakers work?

"d) Bose Link - The fact that (for a premium price) I can transmit around the home and garden without wires."

There are ways to go with different items, though I don't really see the reason for this. Plus you can get a receiver with multiroom functions.

"e) Sound quality seems quite good to my non-tuned ears that really haven't heard that many home theatre set-ups. TBH, once I have all these components I am not going to be upgrading for quite some time."

Well what ever you get you are mostlikely going to get better sound than bose and since you are looking to spend a decent amount of money you can get something much better.

"f) The dual voltage products mean some more of the world opens up to me and reduces the amount of money in buying conversion units. "

I have no idea about this part.

Bret
Unregistered guest
For VERY good small speakers, try:
http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html
This allow you to build your own speakers that destry the Bose ones and cost one tenth the price. The plans are extremly simple and the speakers do sound great. I believe that there is also instructions for a wireless version...but I could be mistaken....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us