Coaxial or Optical input - which is best?

CarlyNorris
Unregistered guest
THought I'd start a new thread. I have read much in magazines in differences of opinion in the merits of a coaxial digital output and a optical digital output. I currently use a fine quality Monster coaxial for my digital output, but two of my friends have optical ones and they say that optical is better sound quality. However, in a magazine I recently read, it said that coaxial is better when chanelling sound through the subwoofer - i.e. better bass, although maybe I have picked them up wrong. Can anyone share their views and/or tell me which is better - optical or coaxial? I mean, should there be an overwhelming majority on optical, I might just rush out and buy one...

Alan Grant
Unregistered guest
I use an QED optical output for my home cinema set-up. Coincidentally, I used to use a Monster co-axial cable for my digital output. I would say that optical is better, but there was certainly nothing wrong with my old Monster cable. In terms of better bass, I wouldn't say that my Monster co-axial cable was better through the sub-woofer. Infact, overall, optical produces at least as good sound through the s.w. as my old Monster did. I think the reason why optical is better is because it uses light rather than 'metallic' contact. Maybe I'm wrong there, but this is perhaps based on the same principle as a laser reading a DVD?!?!?

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 207
The digital audio signal that's typically carried on either a coaxial or optical cable is too low in overall bandwidth to truly be a strain to these transmission methods, IMO.

Using a high quality cable for either method of connection will help to ensure good transmission (although it might be overkill).

For coaxial connections, use a 75 ohm terminated cable. RG-6 shielded coax would be excellent for this purpose.

For optical connections, use a fiber optic cable with its strands composed of glass silica as opposed to plastic. This is the difference that ought to matter between a high quality optical cable and a low end cable: gimmicks like gold-plated ends are just that. Glass silica has less opacity with higher wavelength light than polymer strands, so a glass-based carrier will provide plenty of headroom for your fiber optic signal.

Of course, the best way to determine which is best for you is to try them both and decide for yourself. - Reinhart

Username: Santeini

IPOH, PERAK MALAYSIA

Post Number: 1
I have tried both the cables,the optical one seems to produce more sound with less dynamic and the cox seems to be more refined and the bass is better too.But some of my friends prefer the optical cos they can hear the sound from the surround speaker rather than get the feel of the surround,using the cox.Finaly it is best that you try both cables in your set up using the same dvd source over and over,for about 1 hr.This could give you the solution.

digital_audio_person
Unregistered guest
There is no difference in sound quality between optical or coax digital audio.
Optical cables in consumer equipment is called POF, for Plastic Optical Fiber. Data grade glass fiber is not needed, and offers no benefit unless you are trying for a 200 foot length.
If you want to spend money on cables, that is fine. Get one that has a nice fitting connector on the end, and I like very flexible cables. But don't sit around for hours trying to hear a difference between coax and optical, unless you are looking for an excuse not to take out the trash.

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 183
Optical cannot fall prey to EMI either. For a longer run... use optical.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us