Can i get tv through my receiver without a vcr?

tlg
Unregistered guest
hi. just recently bought sony Sony HT-DDW660 5.1. got it all hooked up and working, but the only way i can get sound through the speakers is with a vcr. don't want the vcr. don't need it, don't have room for it in my tv stand, and it's old and makes a ton of noise! initially tried hooking tv's outs to receiver's vcr in's but that didn't work. (i think the tv will only send audio to one set of rca's at a time i have to manually switch to av1 for dvd and av2 for vcr.) tv has rca outs, and i use an antenna for reception (connects just like cable). receiver has vcr rca in's, and also has an "optical digital" in.

so, can i buy something that will connect the tv's rca's to the receiver (vcr rca in's or opticial digital in) so that i can get sound through the system without a vcr?

i tried doing a search here but wasn't able to find the answer and only got more confused. :-)

thanks!

tlg
Unregistered guest
wanted to add that my dvd has:
Audio outputs: 1 stereo analog (left/right), 1 monaural RCA subwoofer output, 1 digital-audio (coaxial); & Video outputs: 3 (composite-, component-, and S-video) - don't know if that helps. have the dvd coax hooked to receiver coax, dvd video out to tv video in, dvd rca component outs to receiver rca in's for dvd.

plumeria2
Unregistered guest
What you are trying to do is pretty basic - connect your TV sound to your receiver, and everything sounds like it works separately so clearly either your are wiring wrong on not pressing the right buttons.

Your initial posting is kind of confusing, 'cos right in the middle you introduce a dvd in to the picture. DVD should connect to the receiver via the the digital connection. Your TV (unless it has a digital tuner) should connect via your standard RCA jacks to your receiver.

I have no idea why you are saying that your TV will only send audio to one set of RCAs - your TV only shuld be sending audio through one set - thet ste that goes straight in to the receiver.

> can i buy something that will connect the tv's rca's to the receiver
>
yes - RCA to RCA jacks - about $6-$10 in Target/ Walmart etc

Look at the big diagrams in the front of your receiver's manual - they should show what to do with very close to your setup.

good luck

peter
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us