Speakers for Marantz

Username: Seventh

Post Number: 2
To all experts out there:

Need some advise.. can anybody suggest what is the best speaker match for Marantz sr4500.. I'm more to music then movies... Currently I have Bose AM6 ( Series 1) + Marantz 4500... doesn't sound well..

Thanks in advance..

Username: Caldera

Post Number: 8
Hey, I just got a Marantz SR4600. I am using Mission speakers. Actually, the Missions came first, and were so good that it provided an incentive to upgrade. Or more precisely, the fact that my 25 year old class A amp was falling apart, provided the initial incentive.
At any rate, the Missions are remarkably good speakers that sounded great with my old amp. With the Marantz, there is a touch of harshness with the string sections on some classical recordings - this is evidently due to the Marantz. Otherwise, the sound is flawless. The Missions are so accurate that they show any flaws in the source. However, the Marantz, now three weeks old, seems to be mellowing out. Also, I use it with a high-end CD player through an analog input with the pure direct setting, which provides a bit warmer sound with better stereo imaging.
Amazon has the Missions on sale at half off. Most of what they have left is in gray, although some of the more expensive floor models are still available in cherry, which is very attractive.
I first bought the M32i, but also got the M31i and M30i. They are all excellent.
If you are aiming for home theater, use the M30i for surrounds. As you may have discovered by now, not a whole lotta sound comes out of the surround speakers, anyway.
Frankly, the M32i are the best of the three, and the more expensive, at a whopping $175 a pair, shipping included!!! But if you want to be conservative, get the M31i, at $120 a pair - they are nearly as good, and actually have a sweeter sound, for some reason.
But if you have the money, the M34i and M35i look like they would be worth the extra cost. Bigger speaker cabinets generally provide a more open sound, though the M32i sound open enough for me. They also provide more bass. The Mission specs on the M32i and M31i are accurate, if not conservative on the bass, which is powerful and tight. I get more than you would believe with my SR4600. But it is always nice to have more bass, which the more expensive models promise; and you don't need stands.
As to the M30i, they are remarkably good. But after using them for several days, going back to the M32i was a big improvement.
In addition to classical, the Missions are great for jazz, pop and movies, with a crystal clear sound, plenty of bass and treble, and lots of bite to the brass.
I strongly recommend you biwire the M32i, although you may want to wait a week or so until they are broken in. Then you will be able to hear the difference clearly. There is much more detail and depth to the stereo imaging, in addition to stronger bass and clearer treble.
I don't know the Bose speakers you are referring to, but my general impression is that Bose uses the very cheapest components to maximize its profits, after paying 50 percent commissions to sellers. What specifically is the problem with the Bose sound, if I might ask?
At any rate, the Missions will be such an enormous improvement that it will blow your mind. The Marantz is a fine piece of electronics, with more detail and wider frequency response than my old amp. It is capable of great sound with suitable speakers.
Good luck!

Username: Seventh

Post Number: 3
Hi Cal,

Thanks for the advise.. Awesome dude.!!
Now I have to do some shopping.. I did ask a few friends of mine.. well that's what they suggested to me.. Marantz + mission = great combination.
As for BOSE.. they're @#!*@.. with the pri$$e I paid.. I don't get to hear the full range.. Eventhough I'm quite new in this HT things, I can tell that they are more to highrange sound.. no mid, no low range.. though they do have power sub (accoustimass module bass) The setup- all the connection have to go thru the bass module.. Bottom line.. they are sucks..I need to get a new set of speakers dude..
Nway.. thanks a million for your expert advise..

Another question - do your surround back produce high vocal sound when you play a movie?

Bronze Member
Username: Caldera

Post Number: 17
You have unusually discerning friends if they have heard of Mission. Now the question is whether they have heard Mission. I like them.
As to the last question, I am not an expert on home theater. Frankly, I think the concept is overrated. I have not heard vocals coming out of the back speakers. The Marantz, at least, seems to use them mainly for ambient sound. I would get some good main speakers, perhaps Mission M32i or M31i, and try your Bose speakers for side and surround - that's what they were designed for, not fronts. If that doesn't do it for you, you might get the M30i for side and surrounds.
Frankly, I have my stuff set up for plain stereo at the moment, though I am going to rearrange it again for home theater. I took a set of M32i and M31i and bi-wired, with the M32i woofer only and the M31i tweeter only. The point was to avoid the sound within the cabinet from the woofer getting to the tweeter. So now the tweeter is in a separate cabinet. The result is extraordinary. Very very clear, detailed sound. And I can always go back to using them as separate speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us