Home Theatre HELP!

Username: Superfly133a

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,

I've always wanted to have a home theatre at home. I'm pretty new to this game I need some advice. I'm looking into building a basic dedicated room for a home theatre, I'm on a limited budget and and always wanted a dedicatet HT.

I just bought a new house, it is being constructed. I really can't dedicate a full basement to a home theatre or split the basement (it would look really odd) Needless to say I was dissapointed. I realized though since I don't use the Garage to park my car I could possibly take half of my Garage and convert it into a home theatre. Now here are my questions, keep in mind my final room will not be that big, tiny actually, approx. 10' wide by 12' long:

1.- What size plasma screen is reccommended for this size room

2.- What kind of soundproofing would I need to put into the walls.

3.- I have 5 speaker Cerwin Vega speakers as well as a subwoofer (i'm very happy with the sound) connected to a non digital Technics amp. Can I replace the amp with a digital one and still use my speakers. Or am I better off buying a home theatre in a box? Any recommends?

4.- I'd like a really nice cozy movie experience. I will be laying down a subfloor is carpet or laminate floor best to put over the subfloor.

5.- Is it worth grtting those sound panels to place in the room, if so how many?

Thanks in advance for reading and I look forward to hearing.. I mean reading what you have to say.

Thanks Again,
John

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 12
1) I would really need a dollar figure for a budget to steer you in the right direction and recommend the most cost effetive hardware solution.

2)Standard insulation would work, but a false wall or rigid insulation would work better.

3) You should be able to use your existing speakers if you are on a budget. A new 5.1 or better AV receiver would probably be recommended.

4) Whatever you prefer. Laminate flooring is not as reflective as some would have you believe but you will need furniture and other devices to help get the best sound out of your system.

5)bass traps and absorbative panels can be very beneficial but I would wait to place them until you have the final speaker selection and placement worked out.
I would at least address the primary reflection points.

6) Don't forget about cables, wiring, lighting control, remote control and signal managment. A dedicated circuit would also be great with some form of surge suppression system also included.

7) Do not discount other technologies like front projection. A very cost effective solution, inch for inch.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help Wescott,

I've been looking into front projectors also and they are much more cost effective but I'm concerned because I'm dedicating such a small place (10x12) That I won't get the clarity,

I'm trying to keep my budget small for this project seeing that I have a bunch of other costs in building my house.

Do you recommend Home Theatre in a Box for the space I'm using and if yes which one. I can use my existing speakers in my basement.

Thanks Again

Bronze Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 20
I have always been of the opinion that the lions share of your budget should go to your speakers.

Long after the display and audio receiver have come and gone, your speakers will still be a big part of your system for many years to come.

So, lets say you spend US$500 for an audio receiver, I would suggest US$2000-$2500 on speakers. This 4 or 5:1 ratio seems to hold water no mater what your overall budget is.

Post Number: 3
I agree that the money should be spent on the speakers. Along with the subwoofer I bought these speakers for approx. $1500 seven years ago and I'm very happy with the sound. Any advice on which receivers would be a good buy and also what's the best type of cables.

Also do you think that a 50" plasma or a front projection would be too large for a room that small (10' x 12').

Thanks

Bronze Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 22
John,

I will probably get a lot of grief for saying this but the quality of receivers has increased so drastically over the last few years, it really comes down to features, lack of distortion, and power.

Video is all heading toward HDMI for now so a receiver with switching for HDMI would be a plus but not mandatory. Bass managment is a must for 5.1 or greater systems. Lip sync features can be a life saver too.

I am reluctant to recommend a receiver by name but Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Outlaw, Harman Kardon, Rotel, etc. all make some nice equipment and have enough products to choose from to meet your needs for now and into the future.

As far as screen size, 50" would be a good size if you are sitting 8 feet or so from the screen no matter what technology you choose. Just be prepared to move to primarily dvd's and HD programming because SD is not going to look as good as one would hope when stretched to these sizes.

Cables are cables as long as you are comparing apples to apples. Good connectors and the right cables for the right application is far more important. I use www.bluejeancables.com because they are high quality, no nonsense, cables. I have bought one of just about everything they sell and have been very pleased with the quality\cost ratio and the service.

Unregistered guest
have a durabrand home theater can not figure out how to get sound from the tv to the home theater only have out jacks on the dvd

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 488
John if sound is at all important to you even in watching movies, I would stay away from the HTIB. I think with a little patience and looking around you can put together a really good system in pieces that won't break the bank. You can even get the brands that Westcott mentions at good prices.

Post Number: 4
The sound is definately important to me, just as much as the picture. I have Cerwin Vega speakers I purchased about 6 years ago & I'm very happy with them I also have a sub woofer I'm happy with.

I was just thinking about the HTIB because everything is in a compact package. If I'm willing to spend $500 on a HTIB I guess I should just invest in a receiver.

I'm also reading alot about HDMI receivers are those worth getting? and if they are any suggestions on a Model/Brand?

Bronze Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 30
With your limited budget, it may be difficult to get an HDMI receiver under $1000. I have not looked lately but I do not think anyone makes one in your price range. But, look around. I may be wrong.

It really depends on which video source you buy and what it has for digital connections. I would strongly suggest getting one with HDMI.

Most people will tell you there is little difference between DVI and HDMI but the later is cabable of delivering 10 bit resolution, where DVI can only deliver 8 bit.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the info Wescott, unfortunately my budget is limited. I do plan on upgrading later on in the future. My original plan was to upgrade my speakers as well but what I'm reading in these forums I would rather use my existing speakers and save up for an upgrade.

Can anyone recommend a Digital Receiver? A specific brand & model? For $500 or under.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us