Thoughts On Plasma Hanging Above a Fireplace

frank1203
Unregistered guest
I am in the process of buying a surround system system. With the way my family room is built, three different designers came out and felt the Plasma TV should be mounted above the fireplace. Everyone tells me that this is commonplace but I've never seen or heard of that until recently. I have been trying to get used to what it would be like and made a paper template. I wonder two things - would the heat from the fireplace hurt the TV and Center Channel? (its a wood burning "B-Vented" Fireplace) and secondly - I can't seem to get used to looking up higher than eye level. What are some of your opinions? Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 471
I know I wouldn't want it that high, but if that's where it fits best, I guess you may not have a lot of choices.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 80
Bad idea. I am sure it would look cool but it is inviting alot of heat and film that will destroy your screen. No matter how good a vented fireplace is(gas,wood), it will always put a film above it.

Username: Modul8tr

Post Number: 5
It's a bad idea.

IF you do it I'd mount it inside something. There's a company called Ambrosia Audio that sells interesting wall mounting systems for plasma screens.

But still, heat is a major problem I'd imagine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us