Growling Sub Woofer

Bronze Member
Username: Griffin_andrews

Post Number: 47
All,
Greetings. I've had my system set up for a couple weeks now and everything seemed to be moving along quite smoothly. Last night while sitting around the HT room (nothing on the system), my subwoofer let out a low growling sound for a short moment. Later in the evening my son reported the same thing happening.

I have the sub plugged into a separate power source from my other components. Should the sub be left on when the system is not operating / or should it put turned on and off accordingly? is this what made the thing growl?

As always, your insights are quite welcome!

GA

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 460
What kind of sub is it? Doesn't it automatically shut down when there is no input?

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 97
There can be a number of things that will cause it. One thing you can easily do is to make sure the connection is tight.

The last time I heard a powered subwoofer growled...the cause was the capacitors leaking. Normally a subwoofer should not make any noises, even for the type that doesn't auto-shut-off.

In your case since it's new...my guess is your connection is loose.

Bronze Member
Username: Griffin_andrews

Post Number: 48
Hank,
Thanks. I'll have a look at it when I get home this evening. It is a VERY inexpensive powered subwoofer that I purchased simply as a starter unit. Once I can reload financially from my initial HT / Basement remodel, I'll probably be looking to upgrade the sub. Until that time, I'll check the connections.

GA

* since it does not have an "auto shutoff" that Stof mentioned, should I just go ahead and power it down whenever I'm not using the system?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us