Rob Kiel
Unregistered guest
Here is a list of the equipment I have;
Monitor-- Sharp Aquos LC-45GD6U
Receiver-- Yamaha RX-V757
DVDPlayer-- LG LDA-511
Speakers-- JBL SCS300.7
Powercenter-- Monster HTS 3600

I will be using a cable card, so there is no need for Hi-Def box from the cable company...
The coax cable line enters into the monitor after it passes through the power center.
I am running HDMI cable between the monitor and the DVD player. I am running an optical cable between the monitor & the receiver as well as between the CD player & the receiver.
Do I need to run a component cable from the monitor to the receiver???
There is no directions anywhere on how to make connections when using a cable card. Please help me...

Rob Kiel
Unregistered guest
Oh yeah... How about component cable between the receiver & the DVD player?

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 47
You'll want a video connection of some sort from the receiver to the monitor, just to see the on-screen display of the receiver. But, component is overkill for this. Composite or S-video is fine.

No reason I can see to connect component from the DVD to receiver, if it is already going direct to the monitor via HDMI.

So, DVD audio will go to monitor via HDMI, then to receiver via TOSLink optical, so no audio connection needed between the DVD and receiver... should work fine, assuming both the DVD player and TV support 5.1 audio via HDMI (seems obvious that they should, but not all do. I am not familiar with your models).
Good luck, and enjoy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
I'll amend my middle paragraph slightly...If you would want to see the Yamaha OSD superimposed over the DVD video... then you would want a video connection between the DVD and receiver. You might want this to adjust audio delay.
So, in that case you would probably want component both from the DVD to receiver and from receiver to monitor. So, I guess I just completely contradicted myself....

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 453
Rob are you sure about that JBL set? They are small and they sound not much better than a computer speaker set.

Rob Kiel
Unregistered guest
I really appreciate your input Rick. I would like to do this right because I more or less have only one shot to do this... All the wires are (will be) concealed from view. I don't want to break up sheetrock again to run cables later on. I don't mind going a little overkill now, but be more prepared for the future...
Thanks again...

Stof, I am sorry to inform you, but the deed has been done... The speakers I could always change in the future, yet the size of them was what attracted me to them in the first place. I did listen to them @ the local store and the sound was pretty decent and satisfying for what I am trying to accomplish... BTW, are you sure you're not referring to the JBL 180's? They did sound very thin, hollow & empty compared to the 300's...
Stof, what would you suggest for very small size yet still a good sounding speaker system?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 457
I recently put together a 2 speaker system in my bedroom recycling an older Rotel amp and BA Subwoofer and buying a used Rotel CD player. Because I didn't want big speakers (even bookshelves were out of the question) and also wanted a nice fit and finish at a good price, I gave these guys a shot:

http://www.aperionaudio.com/products/product-detail.aspx?id=126&catId=5&catName= Aperion+Speakers

Ended up getting A-stock for $85 each. They are really impressive given their size. Now this will cost you more for a set of 7 than the JBL, but you get so much more.

I considered that specific JBL set for my HT, because it was an attractive one shot package, and it sounds good at a smaller setting, but in a room of any size they are going to struggle. When I did more research I realized that practically nothing is recorded in 7.1 and even 85% of what you do watch is not even 5.1 yet. Your back speakers are going to do little work and the side speakers even less. Some exception being the LOTR series or Matrix or recently I heard probably the best recorded concert in 5.1: The Eagles Farewell tour from Melbourne.

However if the deed is done, I hope it works for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
I guess if it is a matter of tearing out walls... I would add a 5.1 audio connection (optical or coax) from the DVD to the receiver. That way if you are dissatisfied with your planned audio route (DVD via HDMI to TV via optical to receiver) you have an alternative available. $20 is cheap insurance compared to drywall work.

Rob Kiel
Unregistered guest
Thanks again guys...
FYI, I ended up running component & optical cables instead of the HDMI. I tried a couple of different HDMI cables and I couldn't get audio or video. Not sure what the problem is. I thought of leaving the HDMI cable inside the wall, but I just couldn't stomach sealing a $150.00 cable and possibly not even using it in the future.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us