Rear surround speaker independence

Username: Ppetracca

California USA

Post Number: 1
My home was wired for surround sound in one room, and I'm finally setting it up. I installed the L & R front speakers a few years ago (Niles HD650) which have a 6-ohm nominal independence. Last week I purchased a Yamaha HTR-5890 surround receiver, NHT M-5 center channel speaker (6-ohms), and a JBL E150P subwoofer.

So, I'm not too clear on independence and if I can mix different speakers with different ohm ratings. I'm having trouble finding a large selection of rear surround ceiling speakers that are rated at 6-ohms. Do I have to purchase 6-ohm speakers or could I use 8-ohms?

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 49
You can use 8-ohm. The mismatch will be compensated when you use YPAO (or manual SPL measurement) to balance the channel loudnesses.

California USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks Nick. It's good to know that I'm not stuck with only buying 6-ohm speakers. If I used 8-ohm for the rear channel, should I still set my receiver to 6-ohms (since the center and sides are 6)? Could you (or anyone else) recommend some in-ceiling rear channel speakers for my setup? My budget is about $300 max. for the rear pair. Thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
The manual indicates that you should use the 4 ohm setting. In that case your front speakers must ne 4 ohms OR GREATER (8 ohms if running both A and B speakers simultaneously), and your center, surround and rear surround speakers must be 6 ohms OR GREATER.

I always am reluctant to recommend equipment. I will say I'm happy with the Infinity ERS 110II, which can be had from $110 to $150 each.

Unregistered guest
i bought a yamaha home theatre in a box yht 160s and i wasnt happy with the bass so i replaced it with a paradigm 12 inch powered subwoofer, now i have enough bass but the satelites are starting to distor i need some options for satelite speakers, i want somthing that can stand my torture.

California USA

Post Number: 3
Rick, I'm only running 5.1 surround. My center & front L&R are 6-ohm, and the surround pair *might* be 8-ohm (depends on what I get), so shouldn't I set the receiver to 6-ohm nominal independence because the majority of my speakers are 6-ohm?

About those infinity speakers, I found the new PAIR for $180 w/ shipping (no tax)... are you sure they are normally $110-150 each?

Thanks for your help!

California USA

Post Number: 4
Rick, I'm only running 5.1 surround. My center & front L&R are 6-ohm, and the surround pair *might* be 8-ohm (depends on what I get), so shouldn't I set the receiver to 6-ohm nominal independence because the majority of my speakers are 6-ohm?

About those infinity speakers, I found the new PAIR for $180 w/ shipping (no tax)... are you sure they are normally $110-150 each?

Thanks for your help!

California USA

Post Number: 5
...sorry 'bout the double

California USA

Post Number: 6
Well, now I'm trying to decide between the NHT iC4 and the Infinity ERS 110II. I'm still looking around at other in-ceiling speakers, so any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
I only know what I saw in the manual, but if in doubt it is generally safer to present an amp with a higher speakerimpedance, rather than a lower impedance, than it 'expects'. If I were in your position, I would set it to 4 ohms. Sounds like a good price on the Infinity's. I don't recall exactly what I paid, I just did a web search to refresh my memory prior to my post above. Sounds like you did a better job of web-searching.

California USA

Post Number: 7
Thanks Rick. Yeah, i found em new on ebay.. great price. My receiver can't be set to 4-ohm, only 6 & 8 ohm. If I do purchase the 8-ohm surrounds, I'll probably set the receiver to 8-ohm, then use the YPAO automatic adjustment which will hopefully correct the sound level gain/loss of the speakers caused by the independence differences.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us