Digital Optical Cable Setup

Username: Pedroelopez

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone! I've tried searching this site for a specific question I have, but wasn't able to find the answer I was looking for. I am in the process of upgrading to HDTV early next year, but in the meanwhile, I'm starting to set up my surround sound system. I will eventually upgrade my current Comcast system to HDTV, and when I do, I'm going to utilize the Digital Optical output from the HD box to my surround sound unit.

My question is, for those of you who especially know and have experienced Comcast, will the Digital Optical cable be the only cable that I need to listen to ALL of the channels provided by Comcast, or will I also need the regular RCA cables to listen to channels not compatible with the digital cable?

I want to make sure that I have all of the cables that I need and not buy too many or too few.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 454
No you can use Comcast's DVI for both digital and non-digital channels. Remember that they are designed to work directly into your TV which only has 2 speakers.

Post Number: 2
Stof,

I thought the DVI cable only carried video signals. For video, I am going to utilize the DVI connection. My main concern is the audio only.

Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 456
Sorry their boxes also have optical audio output. What I meant was that you don't need to use the RCA for the non-high def channel. However if you really want to setup a nice system you want to run your audio through a receiver and get it in 5.1. You don't want to run audio to your TV.

Post Number: 3
Stof,

Yes, that's exactly what I was planning to do. I have a Sony dream system which has the optical input, so I will use that directly from the cable box. I just wanted to make sure that all of the channels coming through the box can be heard through this connection so that I won't have to purchase any additional cables.

Thanks for your assistance...

Ronin
Unregistered guest
Yes, all you will need is the optical cable. The comcast box will convert any audio signal into digital so you will not need to run additional RCAs.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Ronin! Now it's just a matter of getting a nice tv which I'm planning to get in March. I'm investigating various 50" like the HLR5067 Sammy or the KDFE50A10 Sony... any recommendations?

Silver Member

Post Number: 461
Stay away from Sony these days. They just can't seem to get their act together on HDTV's and others manufactureres are kicking their butt around with lower prices.

Post Number: 5
Yeah, I was leaning towards the Sammy. Any news on that one? I've heard two different sides and don't know who to trust.

Post Number: 6
What does everyone think about the Toshiba 52HM95?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us