Help request for you audiophiles

Anonymous

I have a budget of $500 to $900 for speakers and will buy the receiver, dvd later. I will use the speakers about 50/50 between movies & music. I have pre-wired the corners, sides, back and ceiling of this room with quality 12 gauge speaker wire. I've looked at the Infinity TSS 750 and the HKTS 14 but everytime I research online I become more confused. Help with brands, whether I need floor speakers as part of the package and any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Quartzdesign

Post Number: 20
To help you out. Most people will be asking you about the dimensions of your room. This will play a factor in speaker choices. Also, what type of system are you going for? - 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1

Anonymous

Thanks Steve. Room is 25' X 30'. I'm flexible on the type of system.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 149
It is going to be difficult to get speakers in that price range that fill that large a room. It looks like you're looking at mass-market speakers. I think a widely available speaker that will be superior to the ones you mention are the Athena floor standing speakers (I can't remember the model number, AFS-2 maybe?). They are available at Best Buy and are very good for the price. Athena also makes a good sat/sub system, but it will probably not play large enough for your room.

Hope this helps.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 527
Anon:

That is a big room, and I assume you want a full 5.1 system for your budget, so I would suggest a set of PSBs. Think about the Image 4Ts (towers) for the mains, an Image 8C center, and a pair of Image 2Bs for the surrounds. I priced this set out from Saturday Audio for about $900 (www.saturdayaudio.com). You could match these with an NAD receiver which will give you an awesome sounding system, far better than the speaker systems you mentioned in your first post.

Anonymous

I'll check it out Hawk, consider me a grateful Texan for your help.

Unregistered guest
Dude, if you are SERIOUS about doing this right, and you appear to be so far, then without a doubt, you want Bose all the way. The new 601 would be an excellent choice for your front speakers. About $500/pr. Center channel the VCS-10. About $180. For the rear, almost any quality, reasonably priced bookshelf speaker will be more than adequate. However, I recommend the Bose 201. About $225/pr. If you go this route, you will have a room blessed with totally accurate sound reproduction, no matter where the listner is positioned. When Bose says "Stereo Everywhere", you can take that literally. Do not be swayed away by the space saving size. This system is worth twice every penny paid, believe me. I am listening to Dave Matthews concert in Central Park (100% High Def) cranked and just jamming, while I sit here and type this, using Bose 501 series V (smaller than the 601), VCS-10 and Infinity RS-12 powered subwoofer (used from a repair shop $200). I am speaking from experience. You will never have to buy another speaker again.

Mark Connelly
Unregistered guest
P.S. My living room is about 25'x25' with 12' cathedral ceiling.

Unregistered guest
Ecoustic People,

I just got stuck with a set of Bose 501, Series VI's. The cabinets and exterior grills are fine. The right 10" woofer vibrates badly on every bass cord. How does one open the cabinet to inspect the foam surrounds? And do you think that new surrounds would solve the problem? Feel free to email any helpful suggestions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us