Paradigm Speakers

JJ
I am considering buying the Paradigm studio 100, The Studio Center, 2 ADP's for the sides and studio 20's for the rear. (goal is 7.1 system)
Does anyone familiar with those speareks and can provide me with some feedback/info on their quality and performance?

Also, I am not sure if to go with the Denon 3803 or the Onkyo RX800....Any input?

chester phong
The studio 100's are great! The only problem I see is that those receivers you mentioned would not be powerful enough to drive those speakers.

You may want to look at the Denon 5803 or seperates. The 100's are great speakers and requires a lot of power to really shine.

JJ
Thanks Chester,
Any other recommendations on a good receiver? I've heard about the B&K 307. Any idea??? I am not sure if it can do 7.1.

po
Look at the Yamaha 5590 over the Onkyo. Or check out other Yamaha receivers. They are sonically better than Onkyo.

Try the B&K AVR505 if it's in your budget. Amazaing sound for theather and music.

Anonymous
I went to Tweeter today. The 3803 was at 945.00 that's because the next generation is on the way...3804? With the paradigm, I will give a try to the Marantz SR-7400 or the integra DTR-7.4 or the DTR-8.4 (all will be available by the end of November).

Hawk
As nice as that Paradigm system is, I cannot understand why you would want to get either of those receivers. The Paradigm Studio 100s are one of the truly great speakers out there (I think it won best of show at the recent CEDIA) and the receivers are typical Japanese mass market homogenized sound.

I have the Denon and the sound is dry and sterile--not a good match with the Paradigms, IMO. I have tried my Denon with Paradigms and I found the sound to be grainy and hard to listen to. The Onkyo is not as dry, but the sound is pretty lifeless and not much better than the Denon. Either receiver will only give you about 50 wpc when driving a seven channel system--not enough to let the Paradigm 100s really shine. (The June issue of Sound & Vision tested the Onkyo's bigger brother, the 900 and tested its power--at clipping it hit a mere 54 wpc when all channels were driven, a pretty typical result for these receivers).

I would strongly suggest you need to look into the Outlaw Audio separates. You can get the 950 pre/pro with a 7100 amp (a true 125 wpc x 7) for $1598 and I can guarantee it will sound better than either of those two receivers. A better match sound-wise, as well, as teh warmth of the Paradigms will be augmented by the crisp and clean sound of the Outlaw amp. Check them out at www.outlawaudio.com. You can order them and try them in your home for 30 days and still return them with no questions asked if you don't like them.

eric stephens
look at b & k as well as sunfire. both are high quality and really do have the wattage that they say they do. you'll notice that the sunfire ultimate receiver hits 200 watts at the 20 to 20 range. many receivers post the wattage that they can only hit on one peak. sunfire ultimate hits 200 all the time and probably over 1000 per channel on a peak. watts arent just volume, theyre sound quality as well. sunfire and b&k are very well made and have clear, clean sound that will make your 100's hit their potential. if you want fine equipment, shopping at big franchise stores like best buy has got to stop.

matthew dow
JJ- I have Studio 80 version 2s and ADPs, CC570 and PW 2200 on the way. Do NOT get any of those receivers you mentioned. You won't do the speakers justice. I drive mine with a NAD 762 - no problems thus far.

Jeff N
Unregistered guest
While the Outlaw amplifiers is worth buying, the 950 pre/pro on the other hand is an inferior product. According to a Sound and Vision review in 03, the 950 has more noise distortion in its 2 channels play back than a $500 Yamaha receiver. A friend of mine auditioned the Outlaw combo for 2 weeks and ended up returning it for an Pioneer Elite 45TX receiver. I use a Denon 3803 as a Pre/pro + a Marantz amp (5x150 wpc, Ultra THX certified, $699 at www.ac4l.com) This system replaced my older separate Carver components and I have been very sastified. As 'hawk' pointed out, you can always try them at home for 30 days. The most you would loose is the shipping cost

DenonAlready
Unregistered guest
Hi guys, I've been reading around trying to find the correct speakers for my reciever, unfortunatly I already purchased the Denon 3803, and I've been referred to paradigms for speakers, what model should i get for my home theater. ?

Anonymous

onkyo tx-ds989ver2
amazing

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 95
DenonAlready:

I think you have been getting some bad referrals. I also have the Denon 3803 (see my post above) and it is lifeless with Paradigm speakers. I actually think you need something with some sparkle. I went with Missions, but I would highly recommend either Monitor Audio Silvers or JMlabs Cobalt S speakers with the 3803. Missions are hard to find, but the other two are pretty widely available.

Username: Paidtogeek

Post Number: 1
howdy, first off good choice of speaker for the money, I have been installing Paradigm products for six years using everything from parasound to dennon, and have to say that the only receivers you should even consider if you even want to get anything close to what those speakers are capable of is first the B&k 507 and the rotel 1065 studio 100's have four drivers each, each driver essentially dividing the power, dennon etc, will just give up.
B&K 507 or 505 fantastic eq better in my opinion than Krell, (buy or borrow a real digital level meter radioshack units are very directional)awesome processing, future proof upgradeable eproms, and real current that will do it (watch your lights dim).

choice two the Rotel 1065, the rotel absolutely smokes all of the other receivers listed above minus b&k and sunfire, granted you will need to get a second amp for the back channels, think stages, this sweet sounding beast is the only one available under $1200 with an actuell hand wound transformer not a part off the shelf (think seperates) and processing that is as smooth as it should be. go take a look at one, the transformer itself is a donut that takes up half the chassis, oh yeah it weights some sixty odd pounds, you only find this type of build in seperates or the B&K. (be carefull with setup and actuelly read every page, 7.1 is actuely only 6.1)

perhaps also look at the B&K 505 as it has the 7.1 processing like the Rotel but only 5 channels. in so many occasions a really good 5.1 system can give you what you want if you aren't dealing with an odd room or a large space, rooms adjoining count if you can't block them off.

speaker wire AudioQuest cv4 is all you need (double runs to the front if you hace the coin) copperhead for analog and vsd2 for digital. getting better will cost way too much, want a dull sound try monstercable

Be warned changing the ac cord will make a noticable difference on a receiver, either the Richard Grey or the JPS work amazingly to tighten up the sound and give you the dynamics you are paying for. demo one ( i sell 30+ cords a month by doing double blind tests with my back turned to the client)

owner of full reference system past receiver dennon, present used DC1 and B&k amp, total $1500 with cables $2200

sorry to lecture but i hate seeing people get burned by salespeople marketing and profit margins.

good luck

Diego C
Unregistered guest
I have Paradigm 9 speakers (also Paradigms center and rear) and want to upgrade my 10 year old Technics receiver.
I'm looking for Denon Avr-2803 and want to know if they get the best of my speakers.
what other receiver would you recommend or is this my best choice?

Username: Mightyburner

Hi guys, I ready to upgrade and I love the Paradigm Studio 100's. My problem is I can't fit the the CC-470 into my entertainment unit (unless I buy a new one and the wife is not about to let that happen). I use my system equally for music (including a small but expanding SACD collection) and HT. I know I should match my fronts as close as possible with the center but that's just not an option yet. Any suggestions for a solid center channel (up to $700) that's not huge. Thanks!

Username: Conco

I am considering Paridgm Studio 100 speakers along with an Integra DTR 8.4 Receiver -110 watts @ 8 ohms. Is this receiver poweful enough to handle these speakers? Also my room size is only 11w * 28L * 8'h. Are these the speakers for this size a room?

Username: Conco

Post Number: 2
I am considering Paridgm Studio 100 speakers along with an Integra DTR 8.4 Receiver -110 watts @ 8 ohms. Is this receiver poweful enough to handle these speakers? Also my room size is only 11w * 28L * 8'h. Are these the speakers for this size a room?

Username: Scc

any advice to pair B&W DM 300 with NAD T742 receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 401
Steve:

If you mean the B+W DM 303s, they are a wonderful match with the NAD 742 IMO. I love the 300 series from B+W much more than the more expensive 600s, as the sound to me sounds like much more expensive Paradigms--a super match with the sound of an NAD receiver. The 742, which is fading from dealer inventories, is one of the real bargains in audio. Combined, the 742 and the DM303 make a budget system which sounds much more expensive than it really is.

Good luck!

Username: Scc

Thanks Hawk.I also read some nice thing about HK AVR 230 receiver. what is your opinion on that matching with B&W 303s?
Lastly, do you have any recommendation on DVD to complete this budget system?

todd
Unregistered guest
I am going to buy some paradigm studio speakers. I am in the process of building a home theater room. The room is 30 ft long x 12 ft wide. The ceiling on one side is 11 ft and vaults to 9 ft on the other side. I have to suspend or mount the speakers I buy on the ceiling and walls. I was wondering if anyone new, if the Paradigm cc470 would work for front speakers as well. Another words I would buy 3 cc470's. Use one for a center channel and the other two as front speakers. The reason, is because studio 20's & 40's will hang down too low and block the image of my projector.

dmoss
Unregistered guest
I have heard that the Yamaha RX-v2400 is a perfect match with Studio 100's.

AWK
Unregistered guest
I am looking at purchasing a Yamaha RX-V2400 for a new reciever. It was recommended to me that i look at Paradigm speakers. I am looking for recommendations for what speakers to use for a 7.1 system.

Alan Peterson
Unregistered guest
I am purchasing Paradigm Studio 20s, 170 Surrounds, CC470 Center and the PDR 10 Sub. I was on the verge of purchasing a Denon 2803; however, after reading all these reviews I now hesitate. Could someone with specific experience with receiver recommendations call me at 949/212-2679 ASAP! I hope to make a purchase on Friday. I am leaning to an Integra receiver as my second choice... my budget is $500-$800.

Thank you!

Anonymous

Where can you buy the Reference Studio/100v.3s at a reasonable price? I saw on another site that someone bought a new pair (laminate) from an authorized dealer for $1600. Seems other dealers are trying to get $2200 for a pair.

I would prefer to buy via the Internet or telephone to avoid local sales tax (that would otherwise be mis-spent). I know will I get a fair price via internet/phone rather than the crappy retail price of a brick and mortar store.

Anonymous

Thankfully I live only a few miles from the Paradigm factory here in Canada! Pricing here is very good on their equipment. Studio 100 v3 can be had, before tax, for 2000 CAD. There is tax on top of that price, but Americans can get that back at the border. 2000 CAD equals about 1500 US. Studio 40's can be had for about 1200 CAD, or 900 US. If you live anywhere near the boarder, you're absolutely shooting yourself in the foot (and wallet) by not coming across the boarder to buy.

Username: U4ez2

El Cajon, Ca USA

I am considering the Paradigm Studio 100's,and I have the B&K Avr 507,I have the Velodyne DD-12 subwoofer,looking to get the Paradigm speakers and center,with some old JBL Mini towers for the rears which sound not bad.I currently have Klipsch Fortes, and Klipsch Center. Should I upgrade to the Paradigm,or some B&W speakers.I need some insight and help!

Username: U4ez2

El Cajon, Ca USA

What does anyone think of the B&W Nautilus 803's,I wrote the one above about the Paradigms

Dolfan in Az
Unregistered guest
Go with Rotel Recievers. They are probably the best for your price range to drive Paridigm speakers unless you have about $8000 to throw around and get a Macintosh reciever which may make the best recievers in the world. Rotel Gives you a very pure sound without sacrificing power. The only problem with Rotels are they heat up in a hurry so a System fan is always recommened w/ these recievers.

Username: Jpc

I am looking to by in ceiling speakers for my home in three different rooms. I am looking at the Paradigm AMS-150R speakers and am being quoted a price of $280 for the pair. I have been seaching the web for prices and have not been able to find them so my question is, is this a good price for these speakers? Is this a worth while speaker for home audio use?

Unregistered guest
I am considering buying a 6.1 system. I would appreciate if someone can recommend me the best system (value for money). Let me know the reciever too that goes with the system.The dimensions of the room is 24X13X10. Given a choice I would prefer small size speakers

Anonymous

I have a pair of paradigm 9se speakers i bought new 14 yrs. ago. I want to replace the (4)- 8" drivers (4 ohms).Any suggestions on what my options are as far as brands, cost and where to obtain them? thanks for your help !!

Username: Rodger

Post Number: 4
Don't repair. Replace! I have a pair of 9seMk2 with stands that have always been driven with a low power NAD 902. The sound sublime but I'm replacing them with a Reference 5.1 system. PM if you are interested.

Jim1001
Unregistered guest
I have had the studio 100's for 2 years now and I use Rotel 1070 integrated amp for music. It powers them very well, and the sound is fantastic. The Rotel was recommended to me by the owner in the store I bought the equipment from and I am ver happy with the sound.
I use a denon for playing movies, but I find it is insufficient for music.

Unregistered guest
Someone asked about Paradigm Monitor 5's, which I use with a Denon 2803 and a Toshiba DVD player. I have a small room, about 12ft x 14ft so there are no issues with getting things loud enough. I have always been partial to the Paradyms, bought the ADP 370's and the Paradigm sub, a 400 watt, 10", don't remember model number. Even in my slightly muddy room, everything is very clear and uncoloured. The Paradigms are slightly relaxed so, when I put in a pair of JBL Studio Monitor 4410's just to try them out, they fit in wiht the Monitors well, with just a bit more top end. I think the front porting in such a small room made the difference.

Unregistered guest
I have a monitor 7 front speakers,CC-370 center,ADP-370 surround and a PDR-12 sub.I've been looking for a receiver for a month and I don't know anything about receivers at all. i have a kenwood receiver and it sounds terrible. my budget is 800 to 1000 dollar.please help all of you. thanks a lot

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2150
Check out the Pioneer Elite line up...54TX and up.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Berny. A friend of mine told me that denon 3805 should do the job or the Rotel 1056 for Paradigm speakers.My question is which one would do the best job because they are both around the same price and the only thing is Denon has more features than the Rotel.

Bigclear
Unregistered guest
I have Paradigm speakers all around ( they are 8 years old but in great shape ) and I'm in the middle of replacing an older yamaha receiver for a new 5.1 unit. I'm looking for some advice!After much reading,I'm considering the Marantz (5300/5400/6400??), or any NAD. Is Denon and Marantz the same in quality, if so are there Denon models in the 700-800 range.
Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2158
Kesava,
I have no particular experience in that particular Rotel product, however, Rotels, have had a reputation for having one of the better power supplies and overall build quality in the market and I would choose it over Denon's features.

Bigclear,
I would dare say that Denon and Marantz are in the same arena(in the higher end models), others will disagree. I like the sound of Marantz over Denon, Denon however seems like a perfect match for Paradigms. The Denon 2105 should be in the price range you want.

Bigclear
Unregistered guest
Berny,
Thanks for the advice.
Does the Denon match up better than the Marantz with the Paradigms ?
I've read alot about the NAD 742. Any thoughts compared to the Denon or Marantz.

Username: Luigy33

I must add my two cents to this conversation. I bought my 100v3 speakers about 6 months ago and they were paired with a Marantz 8200 receiver that made the sound... Well... good, but it was not giving me with music what I was looking for. After a couple of months with that set up I decided to add an external amp using the Marantz' pre-amp section. I only used the amp, which was an old ADCOM 555II for the R&L front channels, the purpose was music listening, needless to say the sound improved radically but it was still too dry and none-envolving. 2 months ago I decided to go back in time and had the crazy idea to give up on newer gadgets like DLPII, DTS-ES, etc and bought myself a 4 year old Marantz 18ex receiver. I made the best decision ever, the Paradigms and the Marantz are making beautifull music together like I never heard before, and movies just kick A.. in a way I never though possible, add to the mix my new Paradigm 570 center channel speaker and the SVS sub that makes SACD and dvd-audio send chills down my spine. The Denon 2900 dvd player is no slouch either.

The moral of the story?... forget about the new pretty looking receivers (Companies need to sell new stuff) with new gadgets and get a good sounding receiver or seperates and enjoy good sound. people get caught up in the format wars and forget the most important ingredient of all, Quality sound. If you can not afford a higher end price receiver or seperates don't get the Paradigm 100v3, you will be spending more money on speakers for sound quality you will never be able to achive.

Bigclear
Unregistered guest
Luis,
I was looking at an older Marantz, but everywhere I look, people seem so hung up on Video Component Switching and how you should have it; I was concerned that the older models wouldn't serve me as well.( for future HDTV aspirations, perhaps )Some reviews mentioned ways to get around this concern or said it wasn't a big deal....I'm not too sure.

SD
Unregistered guest
Looking at purchasing the Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 570, Servo 15. Is it best to go with the ADP for rears or the Studio 20 or 40?

Any idea what a good price is for this package?

Will the Marantz SR8500 drive these speakers?

Username: Luigy33

BigClear, If you need component switching the older models like the marantz 17ex has three of them but I have not used them, I had less than spectacular results doing this with the Marantz 8200, It may have been a cable related issue but Now I always use direct connections with my tv. Sound-wise you would have to spend a lot of money to match the 17ex's sound but again it has no DTS-ES, dolby II, etc and these features are very important to many people. I found out that using these features every once in a while were not worth sacrificing audio quality, and since I could not put up the money for a new maga receiver I went with an older top of the line unit. Anyways good luck and enjoy your hobby.

cired
Unregistered guest
I have the Paradigm Studio 100's and powering them are 2 200wpc Marantz ma-700 mono blocks. My preamp is the Marantz AV-9000. The blocks seem to power these speakers quite well. Anything less I might start to frown. These blocks are discontinued but if you can find some used I recommend them.

Unregistered guest
I am looking at the Paradigm Studio 60's and the B & W DM603 S3 for a stereo system. We don't really use it for home theater. We already have a Anthem MCA 2 amp and a Hafler 110 pre-amp. We had Boston Accoustic floor speakers that have died recently. Which one would you recommend? Will I have to buy a subwoofer? We listen to alot of different music but mostly rock and roll.

Username: Idealconcepts

Sacramento, CALI USA

I have Paradigm Monitor 9's, the cc370, with a Velodyne CHT 12, and should be getting Monitor 7 for the rears in a month or so. I run them with a Rotel RMB 1075 (120x5) and a Rotel PreAmp RSP-1066. When I purchased the Rotel Preamp and Amp the sales person mentioned this combo is more than I really need for the speakers I have and could actually just use one of Rotel's complete receivers instead of the separates but he said its up to me since it was my money. The combo sounds really good both when watching movies and listening to music, and I am happy with the decision even though it cost me more that I was planning on, but now I have the option to use the amp to power higher end speakers (Paradigm Studios) if I decide to upgrade them. The Rotel Preamp I have doesn't have tons of options like Yamaha or others, but do you really need that many, do you really use more than 3,4, or even 5 different sound fields. I would recommend getting the Rotel Preamp and Amp, I'm not sure what the newer models are, to run your Studios. Or at least go with the Rotel Receivers, with either choice I don't think you will be disappointed. Match your equipment -- i.e. if you have a Porsche you don't want to put Costco Kirkland Tires on it, and remember it's your money so try different combinations and make the decision that makes you happy and satisfies you not anyone else.

fatjb
Unregistered guest
Kesava,

I am using Yamaha RX-V1500 with my Paradigm Monitor 5 front speakers, CC-370 center, ADP-370 surround and a PDR-12 sub. Sounds great. I love it. I may upgrade to Monitor 9 in another 6 months, as my living room is big.

Unregistered guest
Someone help me please.......... I need to update my home theater system and I have a budget of $4000.00 for a new AV receiver and speakers. I like the Denon, Yamaha and/or the Pioneer receivers . And speakers from either Miller & Kreisel, Paradigm Monitor Series or from any other reputable speaker manufacture.

Han
Unregistered guest
I have narrowed my selection down to a set of Paradigm AMS 300 (front speakers) and AMS 150R (rear) with a PS-1000 for my media room. Where would be the best place I can get them for the best price? I would much prefer to buy it locally, however I would not mind ordering on-line. Home is Portland Oregon.

Thanks in advance.
Han

Philav
Unregistered guest
Hi guys!
I have a Yamaha rx-v795. I might have an opportunity to buy Paradigm Studio/80's (2003 model? Does it exist?). Will my receiver be okay to drive them? (I do live in an appartment, so I never play music or movies too loud) Do you see any problem with this match? Are they simply too big for an appartment?

stuman
Unregistered guest
Hans I think ther is a paradigm dealer in lake oswego. they have it's website do a google search or goto official paradigm website

Unregistered guest
i am installing the Paradigm SA 35 and SA 25 speakers in my home. the people put the rear speaker cable in the ceiling. i will be putting a SA 35 for the rear and the SA 25 speakers for the surrounds. what is the best way to install in the ceiling?

thanks,
Kyle

Anonymous

I disagree with hawk .I have a 3805 denon with the monitor 7's and they are full of life. Maybe there's alot of difference in the 3803 and 3805 I DON'T KNOW.

ag
Unregistered guest
jj- i currently have the studio 100. studio center, studio 40 for sides (choosing this over the adp, because they are sonically better when playing surround musics- sacd's and dvd audio's) and studio 20 for rear. I currently have the denon 5800 (170 watts/channel) and wouldn't even think of trading them for any separates. They sound great on both movies and music, whether stereo or multi-channel. I've had the yamaha z series receiver before and they sound good with movies but not with music. my friend has a 7.1 omkyo receiver and he's not too happy with it.

Unregistered guest
hello kyle,

i too am interested in the SA35 for the main/fronts and SA15R for the rears and the 4 other "ambient" listening locations....what have your experiences been with the SA series from Paradigm? where did you get a good deal on them?

regafds,
terry

Anonymous

Kyle I was told you shouldnt put in wall (sa35,25) speakers in the ceiling. Check out the sa15r for in ceiling. Also if anyone has any thoughts, I want to do a 7.1 setup but I want to use a single stereo speaker for the rear center. Can I pair the SA35 fronts SA15r surrounds cc470 with an paradigm sm60r? How about thoughts on the PE 54 0r 56 tx??

Username: Selljesse

For anyone looking to buy Paradigm Studio products don't think you can get away with a cheap receiver, or source...you'll just be wasting your time and money. If like music and want to have that home theatre experiece, your best bet is obviously seperates. But for those of you(like me) who simply can't afford a megabuck processor and all the power required for your system, you're left with a receiver. Coupled with that receiver, you'll NEED a seperate power amp to drive the mains. I'd suggest this if you are considering the 60's or 100's as they are extremely power hungry. For a while, I was naiive and thought I could use a Yamaha AX-570 with a surround processor and get by--Not a chance! I didn't believe the guy who sold me my speakers who told me my amp wouldn't be able to push them as i've played various speakers on this setup for years without problem. So I had to obviously upgrade once I heard what they sounded like. So I bought the NAD T752, which is an 80W X5 receiver (90W X 2 in 2 channel mode). I also bought into the idea of "high current, dual rail power supply" and thought this could actually be the solution to my 100's power needs. Not a chance! Though the sound was decent and more refined than the Yamaha, as well as much more capable of driving the 100's, it simply lacked that extra power needed to really make these speakers shine. The woofers would barely vibrate with the volume jacked to its full capacity and the bass and impact was simply not what I had expected. So I asked my local stereo dealer for advice. Their advice was that I needed extra power. They cautioned me against using a receiver since I'd probably cook the amp (or my speakers..whichever's first...remember you'll most likely fry speakers due to a lack of power rather than having too much power), Plus they told me that the best they'd ever heard the 100's was when paired with a Bryston 14B. That's a 500 watt amp! I just goes to show how power hungry these speakers are, as well as what they can handle. I obviously couldn't afford a $6000 amp, so my second option they suggested was the Anthem MCA 20. Needless to say I decided to purchase this amp as it offered 225 WPC, plus it was only $1200 CAD. This amp was the solution to all my problems! I now get the sound that I was seeking in the first place. Another reason I decided on the Anthem is because the 100's were designed using the Anthem series. Why would I buy a Rotel, Denon or Marantz power amp, if Paradigm designs their speakers around this amp? The answer's quite clear. The end result is that these speakers need power.... After all, would you put a Honda Civic engine in a Crown Victoria and expect it to perform?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 218
lol...

I beg to differ on Rotel, as they are very high performance products. You are getting very great performance for a song. Some of their amps can output tremendous amounts of power, you failed to mention that.

I use rotel on magnepans, which are even more power hungry than the studio-100's with great success. I listen to everything from jazz, classical, well recorded pop (sarah brightman, sade, james taylor) to club / house (kylie minogue, cher, verve remixed) and it will handle it all with ease.

I should have rephrased what I had originally written about the Rotel, Denon, and Marants power amps. All those amps, especially the Rotel are very good amps...I apologize for my writing...it was a little wordy. I do not deny that the Rotel is capable of pushing my Studio 100 v.2 speakers....What I meant to say is that the Paradigms are probably best suited with an Anthem configuration because these are the electronics that Paradigm has designed their speakers around. Both Anthem and Paradigm are the same company. To get into the serious high end, Anthem has now introduced its statement version of their pre-existing series. The component-matching game with any speaker configuration can give anybody a headache as to determine what will give the 'best' results...It's very subjective. My advice for anybody wanting to upgrade power for their Paradigm setup would be to go with Anthem since as already mentioned, it was used to design the Paradigms, and secondly it offers very good value for its price.

paul poirier
Unregistered guest
Would a Harmon Kardon 235 be suffient to power paradigm theater 110's?

Username: Diamante

Hi! Has Anyone compared the Paradigm SpeakerSA25-SA35 speakers vs Polk LC265i-LC65i Speakers?

Unregistered guest
Wow...great info here! I've read through pretty good...I'm thinking of buying the SA-35s for fronts, and the SA-15Rs for rears/sides (7.1 setup) with a Servo 15 sub, and either a CC-470 or 570 center. My question is this...reading about amps, would the B&K 507 or Rotel 1065 be too much amp for these speakers? (minus the sub, of course).

Also, being a Paradigm owner already, for those of you owning any of the gear I've mentioned above...am I way overkill? I have a room that is roughly 2400 cubic feet.

Thank you.

Sam

Post Number: 3
I like what you're thinking! That sounds like you'll have a very nicely balanced setup once it's all together. As for the SA-35/15 in walls I do believe your choice to go with either the B&K or Rotel is wise...However, you are using a reference line in-wall speaker configuration so I cannot stress how crucial it is to match your speakers with a great amp...Don't worry about overkill....underkill will make you hate your setup. If the studio in walls are anything like their studio speakers, you will need a minimum of the Rotel or B&K to truly appreciate their sound. Another reason to go with more power is that the in walls are not ported like a regular speaker so the cone drivers tend to be a little stiffer. The room you mentioned is basically a 15 x 15 room (BxWxH)That's exactly the size I'm using... Since you probably want to do do it right, and you're doing a permanent install, I'd go for the larger receiver.....your money's well invested in the long run. Another option to consider is the NAD T773 which boasts an honest 110 watts to each of it's 7 channels. It runs around 1800$. It's a 60 pound monster and it's sound is amazing. One day I was at my local stereo dealer and I saw a Rotel 1065 sitting on the shelf. I asked about it and he said it was for a customer. He told me that it was for a customer who traded in his NAD and wanted a Rotel after hearing how good it sounded and also for it's impressive looks. Needless to say, the customer returned the Rotel and wanted his NAD back after listening to it for a couple days. He was using paradigm studio's and he said he liked the sound of NAD better. I don't want to discurage you from buying a Rotel, I've heard that NAD sounds great with Paradigms....Anyway, hope this is of use to you...just remember to that a good amp is key if you want those speakers to truly shine ....any of those receivers are good go for the extra power.

Post Number: 4
Ricardo, you're kidding right? You're comparing apples with oranges. The Polk LC265i is an in-wall version of its LS/9 monitor speaker which goes for appoximately 1000$. The Paradigm SA-35 is an in wall version of the Studio 100's wich goes for approximately $2500. All I have to say for Polk is crap. I wouldn't even consider Polk an audiophile brand. The problem with Polk owners is that they've never heard anything better than Polk so they think they've heard it all. Polk speakers are mass produced and their components are made all over the U.S by other companies. They are the type of speakers you see at Future Shop (by the way employees can get half price discounts on Polk which just goes to show what they're really worth) Paradigm on the other makes all their components in the same factory. They don't contract out to save a few bucks, and they're a Canadian company. Paradigm will be your best bet hands down, and if you're still unsure go audition both brands side by side. Nuff said.

Jesse Sell, Thank you for taking the time to respond...I'm building a home theater in my basement..22'by 13'. So I went to 2 local retail stores. One offered Polk And the other Paradigm..So I really appreciate your oppinion..I'm not to familiar with speakers...or theater equipment...I Already buoght the Sharp XVZ-2000 Projector and the Vutec 110" Screen. They also recomended the Denon 3805 Receiver. What do you think about Denon 2910 Progresive scan DVD Player VS 1910 DVD Player? The price is almost half. Thank You for your help......Ricardo

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 37
Both are good DVD players, Honestly given the fact you are going with an HD projector you will most likely not be able to tell the difference in the progressive scan output of either.

Basicly what you are getting extra in the 2910 is HDCD decoding, some sound managment fields, Individual channel adjustability and cut boost circuits within the DVD player itself.

Most of these functions will be duplicated by the Receiver since you will be using optical audio patch an as such are really not needed.

If you were going to be running to a seperate DSD and then sub feeding to power amps or mono blocks i could see the usage of this.

Visualy the video processing and output sections of the 2 units are identical.

Given the fact that you are Planning on using a 3805 or higher series receiver i would put that extra cash towards something else and go with the 1910.

YOS
Unregistered guest
hi,
I am looking at the Paradigm Studio 60's and the B & W DM603 S3 for a stereo system. We don't really use it for home theater. We already have a Anthem MCA 2 amp and a Hafler 110 pre-amp. We had Boston Accoustic floor speakers that have died recently. Which one would you recommend? Will I have to buy a subwoofer? We listen to alot of different music but mostly rock and roll.

Post Number: 5
Usually giving advice on what speaker brand to go with is very subjective, and often differs from one listener to another. Based on the fact that most of your listening will be done in stereo and that you mostly listen to rock, I would recommend the Studio 60's. The B & W's are a very good speaker, and are very good in their own domain, that being classical or intrumental type music. They will sound very open and give the listener a wide soundstage. However, I had the opportunity to compare the B & W DM603 S3 vs. the Paradigm Monitor 11's. In all my sound tests, I voted for the Monitor 11's in all respects. Since I listen to mostly rock and roll also, I found them to be much more 'alive' and dynamic, as well as image a tad better. When playing classical music though, the B & W's seemed to come to life a little better than the Paradigms. That being said, the Paradigms will probably be your best bet. Also remember the fact that I compared the B & W's against Paradigm's monitor line, which are a step lower than the studio line--the studio line being a much more refined model of the monitors. Your Paradigms will fit right at home with your Hafler and Anthem system. As for a Subwoofer...that is your choice. You may want that extra bass, but most audiophiles will tell you that subs are mostly used in Home Theatre setups and not in stereo atmospheres. This being because most audiophiles want the best integration possible, with no 'added' sound. Though with proper setup, a sub can be properly integrated. I'd suggest listening to the 60's first and then deciding for yourself whether or not you want the extra bass. The 60's can go quite low. I own the 100's v.2 and I do not find they require a sub. Instead you might want to consider purchasing the 100's for a little extra money and save yourself the money of buying the sub. The seismic sub runs around $2000 CAD, and the servo around $2500. In any case, audition them in your house first and then decide.

YOS
Unregistered guest
Jesse, Thank you very much on your advice. It was very helpfull to me. do you know what is the price for the Paradigm 60's in Canada? (If possible in USd)
Many thanks,
YOS

Unregistered guest
Hi... do you have an opinion on the Paradigim Cinema 110 speakers that just came out? What sub would you recommend for a mid size home theater?
Thanks!
Jerry

Post Number: 6
YOS, the Paradigm 60's list for $1900 CAD which converts to roughly $1542 USd (June 28). I'm not sure what your local dealers are offering, but I think the paradigms go for 1900$ US since they're made in Canada. Anyway, if you're still interested let me know, I may have be able to help you out.

Hi! I will be buying the SA-25's $300.00(usd) and SA-35's $630.00(usd)speakers soon from a local dealer. Is that the going price??? Also, I was thinking the SA-35 for center speaker and the other 6 speakers SA-25. Total $2430.00(usd) Is that a good idea to save some $?. Or, should I spend the money and get front 3 speakers SA-35? and 4 SA-25 side and back. $3090.00 (usd). Thank much for the help.

Unregistered guest
I have been a pradigm fan for a while i decided that i was going to build a home theater system using paradigm speakers but i am not willing to go over 100wats of power i guess that i will have to look for a nother option as i dont want the exorbitant power and price. what would be a recomended speaker for the power range i am considering

Post Number: 7
First off, more power does not always mean that you'll have a huge difference in volume loudness. Actually an increase of 4dB actually requires something like double the power. What you will hear is a definet difference in the quality of sound, as you will notice sounds that weren't there before, openess...the soundstage will dramatically open up, and smoother sound all around. Yes, it does get costly. In your situation considering the fact that you're already a fan of Paradigm and don't want the huge price tag attached, I would recommend the monitor series. Depending on many variables, you could have a satisfactory setup. You can choose from any combination. If you enjoy listening to music first and foremost, and hometheatre second, I would suggest going with the the Monitor 11's or 90P's as mains. The cool thing witht the 90P's is that they have a built in amp/subwoofer. Your receiver basically drives the tweeter and the midrange, while the three 8" bass drivers are driven by a built in 175 watt amp. This will take alot of the stress off the receiver. Also, the 90's have a low frequency input so you will not need a seperate sub kickin around taking up more room in your house. The 90's bass is well integrated with the rest of speakers' sound and sounds better than most subs out there (So far you've elminated two problems..extra money for a seperate amp to power your system and the cost of buying a sub) As for the rest of the system, I'd recommend the CC-370 as a centre ADP-370's for rears. Depending on space, you may want to go with the monitor 11's and a seperate sub somewhere else. But by the time you factor the price of both together, you're better off with the 90P's. There's also, the performance series. This series again is also a value for the money line. If you're tight on cash and your preference for sound is strictly surround for watching movies, then this line may also be a good choice. Like I said earlier, there are too many variables and options to consider in this discussion to address everything, but I hope this helps get you started.

Unregistered guest
This thread has been very informative but wish I would have read it several months ago, having just recently finished a custom home and installed Paradigm SA-35s for fronts and a pair of CS-150s for the rear channels. I am using a Yamaha RX-V2500 to drive the speakers and am a little disappointed in what I'm hearing overall. The SA-35s are mounted in a very stiff, double-sheetrocked structural (exterior) wall. The room is approximately 18 x 18 with high, vaulted ceilings. The whole setup feels a little flat. The sound is clear but it just doesn't have the punch I was hoping for. For example, Steve Hackett on classical guitar sounds great; Yes, Pink Floyd, and the like make me feel like I wasted my money. I'm considering a subwoofer but my gut tells me the Yamaha isn't living up to it's "power crazy" reputation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unregistered guest
I am very interested in buying a new pair or very slightly used pair of Paradigm Studio Reference 100 v.2. I haven't auditioned the newer v.3's but read enough about flatness and diminished bass response in the v.3 speakers to steer towards the older model. I would appreciate any leads in this regard.

Post Number: 8
check ebay, mine aren't going anywhere

Username: Skysummit

I have read some advice as to which receivers to purchase (and not purchase) for use with Paradigm speakers. Unfortunately I can not use this advice because I already own a receiver and am now shopping for my theater room speakers. Are any of the Paradigm speakers good for my receiver? Will it be powerful enough to drive them?
Onkyo TX-NR901 Home Theater/Digital Network Receiver-110 watts per channel x 7
Any advice appreciated!

Post Number: 9
Mike, sounds to me like your room is probably presenting the problem with the sound you're hearing, not necessarily the receiver. First off, the size of the room plays a big role in sound. The 18 x 18 room you're describing is quite large, compounded with the fact you mentioned a cathedral ceiling. Larger rooms can sometimes make the sound you're hearing very treble-y and high pitched. If you had regular boxed speakers, I'd say to try repositioning them in order to try find the 'sweetspot'. However, you do not have that option. Another factor that affects sound is the combination of hard and soft surfaces in your room. Hard surfaces are considered things like tables, hardwood or ceramic floors. These objects, especially the flooring can make the sound seem bright at times. Soft objects are things like couches, and carpets. These tend to tone down brightness a little. With the right combination of hard and soft surfaces, you may find the sound having a good balance of what you like. The real necessity I believe would be to invest in a subwoofer. I can't remember where I read this particular review by a paradigm owner, but they had a large room such as yourself with high ceilings. They had the exact same problem, so they mentioned they invested in a servo-15 and tryed that. It apparently solved their problem and in fact this particular person ended up eventually purchasing a second subwoofer to really improve their sound. If I were you, I'd try the same method. I'd go to a dealer and ask if you could audition a sub for a weekend, just to see if this will actually fix the problem you're having. This way you can experiment with the sub placement and see where it would best integrate with your furniture and sound its best. You're already committed to your purchase by buying in-walls, and the amp you mentioned sounds good. You need to do something! cause there's no turning back now .I couldn't imagine the amp being the problem unless of course it doesn't play loud enough for your tastes. In all, I'd suggest auditioning the following subs...PW2200, seismic 12, or the servo 15

bcndiver
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased a Yamaha RXV-2500 and matched it up to a pair of Studio 100s v3, CC-570 center and ADP-370 surrounds. I was dissapointed with the amount of power I could get out of my receiver. The Yamaha claims to be able to deliver 130W x 7 channels, so I thought that it might work okay with the power-hungry Paradigms. What I see is that I generally need to turn up the volume on my receiver to at least -27db before I hear much sound coming out of my speakers. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Sid_confused
Unregistered guest
hi i was wondering whether anyone has experience with the paradigm cinema 110 system.

i'm thinking of either the paradigm cinema for 799$ or the Bose (yes, i know ... Bose. It's just cheap) acoustimass 10 for 799$ originally $999. I bought the acoustimass 6 recently for 699$ and wasnt happy with the bass. also does anyone know if the acoustimass 10 is any better than the 6?

Thanks
Sid

Sid_confused
Unregistered guest
hi i was wondering whether anyone has experience with the paradigm cinema 110 system.

i'm thinking of either the paradigm cinema for 799$ or the Bose (yes, i know ... Bose. It's just cheap) acoustimass 10 for 799$ originally $999. I bought the acoustimass 6 recently for 699$ and wasnt happy with the bass. also does anyone know if the acoustimass 10 is any better than the 6?

Thanks
Sid

Mike Deleo
Unregistered guest
Jesse, thanks so much for your help. The room is in fact big and high with large picture windows, hardwood floors and a large tile-faced fireplace. The search for a subwoofer has begun and I'll post the results once I find one and give it a try.

bcndiver, did you run the automatic setup (ypao) on your RX-V2500? Sounds like a pretty obvious question but it did make a noticeable difference in my case. Interestingly, the setup mistakenly categorized my fronts (the SA-35s) as "small" speakers (maybe another symptom of Jesse's "large room/hard surfaces" thinking?) but the receiver allows you to change that. You probably already know this but you have access to the pre-amp outputs on that receiver so you could use another amp, though that seems a bit crazy to do considering the specs claim, as you stated, 130 x 7. Good luck and please post your findings.

bcndiver
Unregistered guest
Mike, Thanks, but I tried that and my system actually sounded worse. It also mistankenly said that my Studio 100s were wired backwards. I have since tried connecting the pre-amp outputs to a Rotel RMB-1095. There was an obvious difference in sound quality and power, but I still had to get the volume up to about the same setting before hearing much. By the way, -27db on the RXV-2500 is equivalent to a 12 o'clock position.

Unregistered guest
Hi JJ, I have a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v3.0 with a NAD C372 (150 wpc). The Paradigm speakers need a lot of power, at least 100 wpc for the Studio 20 to get that stage sound and clean mid/bass. What about matching a good pre-amp with some NAD C272 amps.
http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_amplifiers/C272_framset.htm

Good listening !

Username: Turnkey

Roseville, CA United States

Post Number: 6
OK, after reading all the way down this thread I have come to the conclusion that I don't know crap about speakers.....sigh. OK, I have a med size room, 14X17 and am limited on floor space for speakers. For this and other reasons (read spouse) I need to stick with small speakers. I sold my Bose 7.1 AM system on eBay to some sucker that didn't know any better. (read me 1 year ago). Due to a lack of discretionary funds I ordered 2 Paradigm C110's for the front, 1 CC110 for the center, 2 C90's for the rear, and 2 Cinema ADP's for the sides. I know this is a new series from paradigm but the system I listened to sounded great, much better than the Bose. I have 2 questions...1. The areas for the rear and side speakers, I understand the ADP dipoles need a wall fairly close to reflect off of as the two out of phase drivers project to the sides. True? or False?. And 2. What is the best RECIEVER to use with this setup, I currently have a Sony STR DE697 rated at 7X90 (sic) and a Cambridge Soundworks 200 Watt Sub. I realize that this is probably not the best Receiver for the intended speakers but am not sure what to look at. As most of my time will be spent listening to XM sat radio or Cd's and watching Hi-Def TV I don't need or can I afford a $5,000 system. Any suggestions.

Jesse

Gold Member

Post Number: 3629
What is your budget for a receiver?

Post Number: 10
Berny...it's going to be in the $500 - $700 range. After re-modeling the house and with retirement 6 months away I need to cut back :-)

Jesse

Gold Member

Post Number: 3630
I'm thinking with your Paradigms...I owuld couple it with a Pioneer receiver, preferably the Elite line starting from the 52TX onto the 54TX.

You can get these units for the budget you specified, just shop around.

There is also the Harman Kardon AVR 335. Although some listeners think that they don't pair well with Paradigms, I think that's just a personal preference.

Why don't you pay the guys at Paradyme Audio a visit. They should carry the line of products that you are probably going to be able to use. They are located at 2030 Douglas Blvd in Roseville, they've been around for quite some time. But they are still around and offer superb service.

There's also a place called AuioFX in Howe Ave and one on East Bidwell at Folsom. I think these guys are new and I have not experienced their service first hand so I cannot speak for their reputation:-)

Have fun on your search!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Berny, it's funny you should mention Paradyme on Douglas, that's where I bought the speakers from, and got a very good deal. I wasn't thinking along the lines of a new receiver at the time but I will go back and give them a look. I work in Folsom and have seen the AudioFix store, although I have not gone in.
What do you think of using the ADP' for all four of the back speakers?, according to Paradigm's web side they do recommend them for that purpose. I was thinking the 90's with the MD-60 mount would stick out a bit to far for side units. The ADP's mount flush to the wall and would look much better. But I am not sure as to the advisability of using dipoles for all of the surround speakers.....and suggestions/comments?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3632
I am not too keen on dipoles, but I really don't hate them. I'm still on regular bookshelf speakers for the back and the rear surrounds. I listen to SACDs and DVD-As and I prefer the sound of the bookshelf, but for the movies, the dipoles sound great.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Berny, after reserching online I have decided to heed your suggestion and have bid on a Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi w/iLink tech on eBay. It looks like the bidding is going to stay under $700 so I will try for it. I realize its been replaced by the 56TXi but it is much better than the 52TX. In any case both are miles ahead of my Sony STR. Thanks for all the help.
Jesse

Gold Member

Post Number: 3672
No problem. Good luck on your bidding.

Username: Socal

San Diego, CA US

Newbie here.
Before lurking I bought a Pioneer Receiver Model VSX-105TX it says 120watts x 7 @8 ohms.
Which Paradigm speakers would this be able to power and deliver decent sound?
Seems most people complain about not enough power to do the speakers justice.
I have a room about 12x12 and I listen to mostly Rock CDs but would like to take advantage of it's surround features when I play DVDs. (80%Music/20%DVD)
Money is an object as I live in an area that is a little rough and can't afford to take a big hit if they grew legs and walked.
Older models would be acceptable as well.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Unregistered guest
Very informative posts!
I'm just wondering if the Pioneer VSX-9900S Receiver would have enough power for these Paradigm 100's.
any advice would be appreciated..
thanks

Username: Titodelavega

Puerto Rico

Hummm....just when i thought i had it all figured out.
I allready ordered Paradigm monitor 11's which I plan to run with a Rotel Rx-1052 (100wpc)Yet to be bought.
This is a very simplistic stereo setup , but now I wonder...
Are the Paradigm monitors as power hungry as the studio series???
Will I need more power???
It's a shame I can't listen to what I want 'cause not the same dealers.

Post Number: 10
The monitor line is not as power hungry as the studio series. You'll be fine with the Rotel. I've owned the 11's in the past and I was using a Yamaha integrated amp (100 wpc) to push them. No problems whatsoever...if the Yamaha can push them, then the Rotel with definetly do them justice.

Username: Jmirenda

Room 15x20. no side walls. no bipolars.

Just bought a Denon 3806 with 120watts

Really like the studios 20s.

Questions:
Thinking of using atoms in the rear cause of space constraints. Any other suggestions?

Will the cc-370 work or do I have go with 470?

Also, I appreciate any thoughts on the PRD-10 subwoofer. Want a small, mid-priced sub, that will provide good bass. Doesn't have to shake the house. I know there are probably better subs. Will it disappoint in this config? Is it a good match for the 20s, 370/470?

Thanks in advance.

Bob12842
Unregistered guest
General speaker question - I am building a new house and the AV subcontractor wants to put in 5 ceiling speakers for the main theatre room. He said that there would be no discernible difference between the ceiling speakers and the floor speakers. I'm a bit hesitant because I've always heard that at least for the front speakers and the center channel, they should be positioned at ear level pointed at the primary user. Have ceiling speakers advanced to the point where their sound is comparable to a floor speaker? I don't mind if they're a little less powerful (I probably couldn't even tell the difference) but if I want to rock the house with Top Gun or Jurassic Park, I want to able to ROCK the house!

Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
well let's assume your contractor is a nice guy, so let's get to the point, he's full of B.S. First of all, in-walls, especially in ceiling speakers, are nowhere near as good as stand alone speakers. Second, of all....surround sound is not designed to be mixed for in ceiling speakers, and rightfully so...the sound must come from in front, center and in the back. I have a feeling that you're gonna get a very ambient, unfocused sound. If you're going to go any route, i'd suggest in-wall speakers, that way they're positioned properly and the sound cues while watching a movie will be realistic. Leave the carpentry expertise to the contractor, this person has no clue when it comes to sound. You're the boss, tell him to put them in the wall.

Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 9
I just bought a pair of Paradigm Monitor 11 speakers last weekend. I've been waiting for the right moment to upgrade to 7.1.
I have a Pioneer VSX-1014TX receiver and a Pioneer DV-45A DVD-Audio/SACD player. I use a JBL 5.1 HT speaker set-up and have moved the front left and right speakers to the 6th and 7th channels to make way for the Monitor 11s in the front. I'm using Ultralink Excelsior 2.4 bi-amp wired speaker cabhle for the Paradigms.
I can't tell you how happy I am with my purchase (CDN$1225/pair) and to the person wondering if the Pioneer VSX-1015TX would match these speakers and the person wondering if the Monitor series are power hungry; The 1014TX I own is 110Wx7 and the Paradigm speakers sound brilliant, they also sound great when I turn up to 0dB as well. For DVD-Audio and SACD I'm blown away, which was the main reason I purchased the DV-45 recently.
The Monitor 11 speakers are very, very efficient on power and I'd be almost scared to hook them up to a more powerful receiver. Wonderful for crisp, clean audio and definitely a great addition to watching a DTS:ES discreet DVD. I watched Gladiator the other night and had to keep the volume down at around -15dB it was such a stunning presence.
I used to keep my receiver on DTS' Neo:6 processing setting when listening to music, now I turn it to the stereo DIRECT setting so that I'm matching the source as closely as possible.
I love multi-channel recordings when they're done properly (NIN - Downward Spiral, Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales, REM - Out Of Time) but when I put in a CD I'm appreciating 2 channel audio like I never thought I would again. the imaging on these speakers is incredible. Sometimes I check my receiver setting to make sure it's not on Neo:6 as I can swear some of my rear surrounds are on, but they're not.
If you're considering the Studio line but don't quite fancy the price, take a listen to the Monitor 11 speakers - they'll have you scrambling to get home and hook them up!
:-)

Unregistered guest
I absolutely love the Paradigm Studio 100 speakers. I am looking at two different receivers for a good match. One is the Yamaha RXV-4600 and the other is the Rotel RSX-1067. I'd appreciate your comments in helping me make the right decision here. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I absolutely love the Paradigm Studio 100 speakers. I am looking at two different receivers for a good match. One is the Yamaha RXV-4600 and the other is the Rotel RSX-1067. I'd appreciate your comments in helping me make the right decision here. Thanks.

Username: Dizastical

I need help picking a reciever for this set up .

Paradigm:
Monitor 7 fronts
CC 370 center
ADP 370 rears

SVS:
2039PCI sub

I built the room in my basement just for theater use . It is 13' wide x 17' long . All enclosed except for a door inthe far right front side wall of the room . I will be using this system for %75 movies and %25 music listening . I have almost decided on the Harman Kardon AVR 635 . I am just wondering how that reciver will match up to the Paradigms ? I am interested in the reciver because of its feturesand power output , but also because I can get it through an accomodations program for $610 ! I want to stay in the $600-$750 pricerange . Any help would be great !

Dave

Unregistered guest
I have an Onkyo integrated amp( twelve y.o.), a Kenwood analog tuner (twenty y.o.), and a pair of Paradigm speakers (dark brown/reddish wood finish)Speakers were bought about same time as amp, were at a closing sale at a Mountain View, CA stereo store. They are approx. 20"tallx10"widex13"deep.
The tuner is old but perfect, sounds so much better than many newer diital units. The amp has either 60 or 70 watts/channel, is perfect. The Paradigm speakers, driven by this amp run exceptionally cleanly- and will run cleanly right up to the amplifiers limit, with no apparent clipping or strain noises. Amazing matchup, and I didn't even try to get such a well matched group. Speakers rated at 6 ohms. I think they are model # 3se or something close to that.--about a 7 inch woofer (translucent polypro. cones) with what looks like a 1" to 1-1/2" black dome tweeter.There's a small (1 to 2 inch reflex port on the back of speakers.
This system has been stored longer than it was used. I used it approx. 4 years in CA, in grad school. Never pushed it too hard, as I lived on Stanford campus and had to stay quiet. Now has been stored in a quiet home in NC; never used there. Anyone want this hot little stereo? Mike McCutcheon

D2
Unregistered guest
The most informative email string on paradigm speakers on the www ! I am desperately seeking advice on receivers and need help from the enlightened.

I have 2 x Monitor 11s (fronts), CC370, 4 x ADP 170s (side and rear surrounds)and a PDR 10. My room size is 10 x 20 x 9 (B X L X H)and I listen to music and watch movies in equal measure.

I have currently narrowed down the search to Harmon Kardon AVR635, Denon AV3805 and NAD T773. Unfortunately I could not compare them at the same store or even on the type/brand of speakers and that doesn't do me any good =(

The NAD T773 is stretching my budget a bit and I just may go with the T763 and keep one of my rear surrounds still packed in the box. Any opinions?

Also between the HK 635 and Denon 3805 which ones would be best suited for quality sound and power. I really dont care much for looks so thats a non issue. Please help !!!! (Jesse/Steven u folks listening???

Thanks
DD

D2
Unregistered guest
The most informative email string on paradigm speakers on the www ! I am desperately seeking advice on receivers and need help from the enlightened.

I have 2 x Monitor 11s (fronts), CC370, 4 x ADP 170s (side and rear surrounds)and a PDR 10. My room size is 10 x 20 x 9 (B X L X H)and I listen to music and watch movies in equal measure.

I have currently narrowed down the search to Harmon Kardon AVR635, Denon AV3805 and NAD T773. Unfortunately I could not compare them at the same store or even on the type/brand of speakers and that doesn't do me any good =(

The NAD T773 is stretching my budget a bit and I just may go with the T763 and keep one of my rear surrounds still packed in the box. Any opinions?

Also between the HK 635 and Denon 3805 which ones would be best suited for quality sound and power. I have read a lot about the HK 635 actually have more continuous power to 7 channels than the Denon 3805. Does it also translate into better sound too or does the Denon do better there? I really dont care much for looks so thats a non issue. Please help !!!!

Jesse/Steven u folks listening???

Thanks
D2

dcor
Unregistered guest
This is indeed a very informative forum. I recently bought a Harman Kardon AVR335 receiver (for cheap - CAD$599) hooked up to 3 yr old JBL / Polk surrounds. I am eyeing a friend's Paradigm Monitor 9s which he planning to sell to me for $500. He bought them in 2001 and he thinks they are v2. Now I am wondering which Paradigm center channel I should buy to match the Monitor 9's. My best guess is the CC370 but I am wondering if the different CC370 versions may not be timbre matched to the Monitor 9 v.2? Any suggestion in this area would be appreciated. I looked at the website and I cannot find any good information on what year different Paradigm Monitor models were released, and which is the recommended combination.
Thanks,

Unregistered guest
Wow, what a great message board. As with many other people, I don't know half of what I thought I did.

I have a simple question (I think). Will the Yamaha RX-V2600 be enough to power 3 Paradigm SA 30's (left/center/right), 2 SA 15R (side) and 2 SA 10R (back surround)? This setup is mostly for movies. I have never owned speakers bad-a enough to need a separate amp.

Also, will I need a sub for this set-up?

Thanks to all for the posts, thes have been great.

-AH

dcor
Unregistered guest
I deciced to go with Studio 20's over Monitor 9's after auditioning them at a local audio store. Wow what a noticeable difference there was, and I did not even have to listen too hard to notice the difference! Downside is that I already ordered the cc370 which is not timbre matched to the studio 20's. Since I will run the 20's on stereo for music and use 5.1 for home theater, I am hoping this will not be sonically very different. Too bad there is not alot of response to this forum now...

Karlanthony
Unregistered guest
I have a denon 5803 rcvr, Thiel 2.3 for front speakers and Thiel 1.5 for rears. i'm using a Paradigm 450CC.
Any suggestions on how to maximize this system. i use it for approx 75% HT and 25% Music. The Thiel's are great but i don't think I'm getting all they have.

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 22
I just added a CC-370 to match up with the Monitor 11 speakers I bought in October - I'm thrilled!!!
My SACD and DVD-Audio collection sound absolutly sweet and the movies, well they're awesome too but I can't wait for HD-DVD with 24-bit lossless 5.1 sound. That's going to rock!

KennyB217
Unregistered guest
I have owned Denon and Onkyo recievers, and they are both excelent. About one sounding better than the other I strongly disagree. They both sound the same. I bought a Denon because it sounded like Onkyo, but had more of what I wanted. I have a 2801, quite a bit older, but same stuff. There is only so much you can get out of a reciever amp period. If you want the best amp, go seperate, not all in one. My Denon is hooked to an Adcom 5300 which is connected to 2 Paradigm monitor 9s. The Adcom is definately more acurate hence me buying it. The Denon is fantastic for receiver sound, but I was looking for something more than that. About the studio 100s needing this huge amplifier to drive them is total bull. They are 91 db sensitive. My monitors are 93. Only 2 db difference. Should have no problems driving them with a Denon 3803. My Adcom is 80 watts per channel, and it drives my speakers very well. If you want better sound quality, there are definately more places to squeeze out alittle more than just your receiver. Look at your wires, players, and placement of speakers. Great amplifiers are only the beginning of great sound. Let your ears be the guide to what you buy, not the people in this useless forum thread. Experiment, you'll learn more that way instead of listening to people who think more money means it sounds better.

jamie guitard
Unregistered guest
i have stuio 20's for mains cc470 center seismic10 sub adp 470 surrounds and studio 20's surround back's all running off a yamaha 5790 7.1 a/v reciever. is this a good combo???

jamie guitard
Unregistered guest
forgot to mention, the room is 750 sq feet using 12x17 for theater.

Anonymous

I'm buying a 5.1 Paradigm system with Studio 100's, CC-570 center ,a pair of ADP-470's and a Seismic 12 sub.

I plan on powering the system with a Denon 4806 which has a torodial power amps and an output of 140 watts per channel.

I just can't imagine that I will have problems whatsoever not only powering this system, but also getting clean, ufettered sound.

If you think I'm wrong, I sure would like to know why because I need to return the 4806 today!

Thanks!

Thomas

Username: Eecons

I am also looking at Paradigm ...

I have an Altantic Tech P2000/A2000 ($1095 www.legacyaudiovideo.com - WHAT A STEAL, that is for both units!!!).
I'm looking at
Front: Monitor 11
Rear: ADP-370
Center: CC-470
Sub: don't remember the model, it was big, around $700 (also Paradigm).

Is all this a good match (besides my missing sub #)? The P2000/A2000 is 120wattx7.

Thanks,
Danny

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 817
I don't see why it wouldn't be.

just watch those monitor 11's in a small room. You want them in a large room to perform their best.

They also are not my choice of speakers in the monitor line, so if any biases come out, I apologise in advance.

Username: Gdeng1

I'm planning to get a Yamaha RX-V2600 Receiver which has the Up-Conversion to HDMI function I need to output to the plasma TV. My friend told me to take a look at the paradigm speakers for my home theater setup. I'm completely dumb about selecting speakers and subwoofer. Here is my questions.

1. Is it possible to have a decent 5.1 setup with $1000 budget.
2. Is paradigm speakers a good match up with the Yamaha receiver I selected.
3. If $1000 isn't enough, how much should I spend on the speakers and subwoofer to have a decent result.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 104
Jack the size of the room matters with speakers. I see your buying a reciever that list for $1300. I think you need to step up on your speaker purchase. Paradigm mini monitors $375 pair CC 370 center $375 ADP 170 for rears $375. Sub OutLaw Audio LFM-1 $579. I also am not a fan of Yamaha recievers, Denon newest model AVR-2807 list for $1100 has the HDMI up conversion.

Username: Gdeng1

Casey, thanks for your recommendation. I'm planning to put the speakers in my family room which is 19 X 14 with a sloped roof. Will your recommended set fit the room? I have no preference of receivers 'cause I know nothing about it. The only reason I want the Yamaha is because of its up-conversion feature. I know AVR-2807 have the same feature, but I don't think it's available on the market yet. BTW, what's the difference between those two models. I found RX-V2600 on cnet.com for about $900. Knowing my room size, if you don't think your previous recommendation will fit, please recommend me a another set.

Thanks
Jack

Username: Rgs455

Also looking at Paradigm speakers: Studio 40's, Studio 20's, and a 470 center. Will my Denon 3806 be enough or can you recommend a better combo? Also, what is your take on M&K speakers?

Thanks!

Bob

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 844
I would not reccomend powering anything above the studio 20's with a reciever.

Art Kyle may be able to advise you better than myself. He actually owns both the studio 20's and 40's
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us