1st Time Setting Up Home Theater - Need Help!

Username: Jhilleary

Post Number: 1
Ok - Newbie here...here's the setup I will be hooking up this week:

Panasonic PT-47WX53 47" Rear Proj. HDTV Monitor
Onkyo HT-S680 6.1 HTiB (HT-R430 Receiver w/ Monster XP Speaker Cable)
Panasonic DVDS35 Prog. Scan DVD Player
Pioneer Explorer HDTV Cable Box

My main question is which cables should I use for each Component to get the best quality? The best I can tell it would be DVI for cable box to TV, component for DVD, and coaxial for audio?

Any advice on hooking this sucker up would be much appreciated. Here's a pic of the receiver:

Upload

Username: Cuylar

MN USA

Post Number: 1
Ok, here's the start. Your video inputs are going to be going to the TV and your audio inputs will be going to the reciever.

Bottom line is that you need to decide what you are going to use the system most for. Are you going to watch TV or DVDs more often? Your HDTV had the ability for surround sound and your DVD player has that ability too. Personally I'd say that your DVD surround sound is more important.

So for starters hook up your speakers to the right plugs in the back.

Hook up the DVI to the cable box to the TV.

Use the red and white audio plug on the cable box and connect to the tv section on your reciever.

Connect the componet video to the dvd player.

Use an optical or digital coax cable to connect the audio to the reciever do the dvd player.

obviously you can connect any other componets to your system in their appropriate places.

now when using this setup you will change the input on the tv and the reciever for whatever you choose to watch.

Post Number: 2
What about S-Video vs. Component Video? Is S-Video better? Is there a way to have the DVD on S-Video and TV on component? Is this the best I can do? Thanks for the input...

MN USA

Post Number: 3
You now have a 47" HDTV.

From this point on you gotta look at TV a LOT differently. here's my rule of thumb. I know that there will be others that will disagree with me here but this is my OPINION.

conectors by tv size:

1"-24" Composite (YELLOW)
25"-36" S-Video (If not HiDef)
37"-42" Componet
43"+ DVI/HDMI

To be exact you will always get a better picture with a digital cable but we are working on a budget here.

Dont forget to check out sites like http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp for a lower price on cables. I have an amazing system. I compromized very little on much of it. HOWEVER I cannot see a difference between the cables that I got at 1/50th the cost as compared to my monster cables.

What I am saying is that you should always use the highest quality cable type available for your system on each componet.

Keep this in mind... when choosing a cable think of the content being transferred over it.

for example look at digital and analog:
Digital: 01001000100010111001000010001001001010
Analog: /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Digital just relys on the correct information getting there. Analog relys on the acuracy of the wave as it gets there. You need the best cable possible when transferring analog data.

I hope that helps.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your help Cuylar! I think I'll go with DVI for cable box to TV Video, optical audio for DVD to receiver, and component for DVD video to TV. Sound right? Should I run anything else through the receiver besides DVD audio and the speakers? Can I also get digital audio from the TV with coax by using the optical audio and the coax audio at the same time? Thanks again...

MN USA

Post Number: 9
Yikes! Tough question. Try it and see if it works is all I can say. Some recievers allow your to assign digital audio inputs to specific modes. (ie. TV, DVD, Tape, etc.) Worst case scenario you can return the cable if there is no luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us