Need help for 1st theater system

Username: Bosco007

Post Number: 1
I want to install a home theater system in a room which is about 12x10. I have a budget of about $2000 give or take a couple hundred.

I want to get the yamaha rx-v2600 receiver because it upconverts to 1080i and it also has HDMI connections. As of yet, I do not know what speakers to buy along with this. I will probably be buying this stuff in about 3-4 months.

I was hoping you guys can give me some recommendations as I don't know where to start. If you think I could do well with another configuration please let me know and why.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 416
12x10 is very small. I wouldn't look at anything but bookshelves or possibly a good set of satellite speakers. Hell even 5 bookshelves and a subwoofer will take all the room.

Get a good sub though like an HSU STF-1 or STF-2

Silver Member

Post Number: 417
Unless you are not in US and you are talkin 12x10 Metric. Then it will be a whole different issue.

Rut Patel
Unregistered guest
Do I still need to buy a receiver then?

Also, I am going to be moving to a bigger place in about 6 months so will the sub still be good when/if I upgrade to better speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4214
If you don't buy a receiver, how are you going to drive the speakers?:-)
What receiver do you have now?
Is $2000 the budget for hte whole system or just the speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 92
The RX-V2600 is a real fine receiver. However, with a $2000 budget, it alone would eat up half of that. It will be really tough to get decent speakers (reflective of the receiver caliber) for $1000. A good sub alone is about $400.

Username: Cuylar

MN USA

Post Number: 4
just be careful to balance your system out. If you are looking for a theatre experience you can have a nice audio system for $2k but you don't want to sacrifice the TV either. You chose a nice reciever what do you want to use the system for? TV, Movies, Music, Gaming???

Silver Member

Post Number: 418
Raj you may wan to look at the receiver section of this forum and see the hoopla that a few people are raising about the Panasonic Xr-55. This is an all digital receiver for less than $250 and they swear by it. You can then spend more money on better speaker and subwoofer and carry it to your bigger place.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us