Cooling my HD DVR cable box!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Chrisinyork

Post Number: 41
Hi everyone,

I have an HD DVR cable box that seems to be getting too hot. The heat seems to be degrading the video quality quite a bit after a few months of use. I've gone through a couple cable boxes already.

The cable box is in an enclosed entertainment unit. The back is completely open, but in front is a glass door. The shelf it is on is pushed back a little, so there should be some air circulating in there. Before I took the back off, it was very hot. It's cooler now, but I guess not cool enough. When I touch the top of the box with my hand, it is what I'd consider "warmer than it should be".

I tried mounting a cooling fan to the back of my entertainment unit that blew air over the top of the cable box. That worked great, but the fan was just way too loud.

I'd like to get some suggestions for truly silent fans that will help solve my problem. Or... are there any other solutions available (other than taking the cable box out of the entertainment unit)?

Thanks!

Chris

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 17
Cable boxes do tend to run very hot. The addition of components such as hard drives, which is the case here since your box is a DVR, only exacerbates this problem since the drive will be a source of heat and is also highly sensitive to overheating.

I'm sorry to say this as you've indicated a desire to keep the unit in its place, but the only surefire way to ensure that your cable box is getting the ventilation it needs is to operate it outside the entertainment unit. You will just have to find a way to make it work in this fashion and learn to get used to it.

An enclosed space is, more or less, an oven.

BTW, when using a fan, use it as an exhaust fan, pulling air from inside the cabinet and blowing it out. This prevents excess dust accumulation inside your cabinet.

The only problem with fans are that, yes, they do generate noise. Unfortunately, the noise is not only from the motor, but also from the air being pulled in and blown out. - Reinhart

Username: Gecko10

New Mexico

Post Number: 5
I am planning on getting a Comcast DVR within the next month and am trying to think/plan it out.

I have an exhaust fan in the top-back of my entertainment center that is switched on/off through the AV Receiver. But, even though its rated at around 30 Dbs it is still noisy and noticeable when the volume levels are low or off.

My plan is to get a Comcast, Motorola 6412, Phase III DVR which has an internal cooling fan and try it in the entertainment center. Hopefully, with the internal fan in the 6412, P III and my other fan running when other HT equipment is used it will not cause problems with the 6412. If it does, then "Plan B" is to move the DVR to the top of the entertainment center where there is about a 6" recess covered by by molding, with about 2' of clearance from the ceiling.

Username: Gecko10

New Mexico

Post Number: 6
Sorry, I meant to add that Plan B may not work either if the 6412 can't detect the remote in this location. I guess I'll just have to try it, if I have to resort to Plan B.

Any way to edit a post??

Anonymous

Don't know if my DCT 6412 is defective but the unit is VERY noisy. It has an annoying hum that sounds like your standing next to high voltage power lines. Can still hear it over the TV stereo speakers at regular volume.

It is on top of the TV (after all they call them set top boxes right?) and I will try and put it inside a stereo cabinet. If not it's going back and I'll live without a DVR.

Not worried about it being too hot. If it fries the cable company will replace it since I'm only renting it. Maybe if this happens to enough of them they will be engineer them better. Many PC manufacturers have solved this problem with PCs that have signigicantly more electonics and numerous fans.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us