Subwoofer Options

Username: Msa6

Post Number: 2
New to home theater. Plasma going into living room of newly built house. Decided to go low key (we're not big on this stuff), and will use an "extra" pair of B&W 301s for fronts, and will pick up the LCR3 center. Right now we'll be w/o rears...nowhere to mount on the wall, and the wood ceiling is too pretty to put speakers in (at least right now).

What about a sub? I think there's supposed to be some wisdom in matching the fronts with the center (I love my 301s), but should I also be focused on matching these three speakers with the B&W ASW 300 sub, or will I "care" if the sub is from another company? The room is fairly large and very oddly shaped.

And...if I can go anywhere, what are some recommendations for something under $350 (happy to buy something decent used, though it has to look good because it will be visible in the LR)?

Thanks much.

jamie guitard
Unregistered guest
subs don't need to be timber matched.. any brand will work with your current speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5981
No need to care if your subs are from a different company. Checkout Velodyne or HSU.

Bronze Member
Username: N8d1

Baltimore

Post Number: 13
The Mirage S12 is very nice for $400 shipped (I know, a bit out of your range though).

Username: Bbaskin

South of Houston, Texas

The H100 is very good budget sub for about $250, but the svs pb10 is great and will beat anything under $500 @ $430

Username: Projectors

Kula ,maui , Hawaii Usa

hey man i can tell you if you are going with them spk.. then if i was you i would get a good sub.. remamber. subwoofer is 20% of your sound and center channel is 80% of your sound so make sure you get the best sub and center you can.. so for subwoofer go with SVS. i have this sub and what counts with a sub is the low's Frequency Response: +/- 3dB to 20hz anechoic (4-5Hz deeper in-room response typical) go to this web site it is a review on the svs brand of sub take my word for it you will never buy another sub from no one else.. and also they have subwoofers from $400-$1400. they have box and tube subs. i have there box it weight 120 pounds. sub i think they are the best.. good luck and always buy SVS... first web site is the sub i have. then the review is 2nd..

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-isd2.cfm

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/SVSPB12Plus2p1.php

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-plus2.cfm

Username: Bbaskin

South of Houston, Texas

Post Number: 4
You will also want to timber match your LRC.

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 87
I definately agree that a quality sub should be used with such a nice speaker selection.

Considering a sub is a speaker and an amplifier (usually), your budget should at least reflect that. I would suggest spending closer to $1,500 or more with the 301's.

If you do realign your budget, try a servo controlled sub with position feedback and enclosed or with a passive radiator setup. Low distortion and no porting related issues.

I listened to the Martin Logan Depth subwoofer at the local Tweeter store and was extremely impressed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us