Help needed with surround sound to DVR HDTV

Username: Mawissa

Post Number: 1
hi,
I have sony surround sound system with HDTV TV set and digital cable from cable company. How do I hookup these components so that my TV is hooked up to the surround sound. Thank you. I can only figure out how to do it for my DVD player.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 39
It will help if you can post your equipment models. In the meantime, I'll make some wild guesses. If my assumptions are wrong, then please ingnore.
- if cable is connected directly to the TV (no cable box), then you are looking for the audio out jack(s) on the TV. Preferrably, you will find an optical jack, or "RCA jack" labeled digital or SPDIF. At the very least, you need to find analog (red and white, usually) RCA jacks. You need to find a matching input jack on your surround system.

Get the proper cable: fiberoptic, RCA audio pair or RCA digital (RCA video cable is fine for digital audio).

Connect the TV output to the matching input on the surround system. Select that input on the suuround system, and you should be in business. If not, check the sound setup menu on the TV to make sure the output you are using is enabled.

If you end up using the stereo analog (red, white) connection, you will not have true surround sound (but many surround systems have the ability to 'simulate' surround from stereo inputs). May not be a great loss... my cable company does not transmit surround sound with any channels except the HDTV channels if you have the HD service. YMMV.

If you DO have a cable box, then you connect the audio out (optic, digital RCA or stereo RCA) to the coresponding input on the surround system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us