Volume is not loud! on Sony DDW-870

Username: Ohboy

Post Number: 1
I just recently bought a Sony HT-DDW870 and hooked it up at home. It sure sounded loud at the store but I have noticed that when I play music through my dvd player it is loud but if I leave the volume where it is on music and try to play a dvd, it is not even half the volume. MY room is 14x20 and I have to have the vloume to the max to hear it and that is not real loud. Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong? How do I set it up for peak performance?

Reinhart
Unregistered guest
Read the instruction manual for setting levels on each of the channels. You must set each of the channel levels for your particular configuration, including your room acoustics.

Also, how is your DVD player connected to your receiver? Is it done digitally through coax or optical or are you using a set of stereo cables and providing the audio feed via analogue?

Also, movie soundtracks, particularly those that are designed to have surround sound, are highly dynamic, with some parts being soft (like ambience noise) and others being loud (like explosions). So part of your problem could be due to this simple fact.

But, I'm more convinced that you need to fine tune your amplifier settings. - Reinhart

Post Number: 3
I have read the instruction manual but it does not really help me. Not enough info, as for hooking up the dvd player I have noticed that if I use the dvd player remote I can turn the volume on the dvd player up or down. It seems that my receiver volume only goes as high as the dvd volume can. I hooked it up as the book said..audio to audio video to video..

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 52
Is your DVD player hooked up using the analogue or digital connections? To clarify, are you using only one cable to hook up the DVD player's audio feed to the receiver or are you using two or more?

Check for this, too.

On the back panel of the DVD player, there should be a digital output. It may be labeled "DIGITAL OUT" or similar and would look like an RCA jack for coaxial or some plastic jack for TOSLink or both.

Check the rear of the receiver for the same kind of connectors, except they would be labeled "DIGITAL IN" or "DVD/LD IN."

Connect the digital output of the DVD player to the DVD/LD input of the receiver. Also be sure the receiver is set for "auto format decode" or "A.F.D." The function button for this should be on the front of the receiver.

Are the components connected and set up this way?

You will also have to set the DVD player's digital output option if this has not been done yet. What DVD player do you have? - Reinhart

Post Number: 4
Thanks for replying and trying to help. This is how I have it hooked up. I have a digital output on the DVD hooked up to the digital input on the receiver, as well as a left audio and a right audio hook up. My A.F.D. was set to prologic II. How do i set up the DVD players digital output. It is a electrohome EH8181A.
Thanks for all your help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
First, disconnect the analogue feed of the DVD player to the receiver. You don't need it. The audio output can be used on the television, however, if you want to watch a DVD without using the receiver to provide the sound. Then, try again.

If that doesn't work to get the DVD player in giving your receiver a digital feed in Dolby Digital 5.1 with DVDs having 5.1 soundtracks, you will have to go into the player's setup menu.

There should be a key on the remote control that will take you to the player's setup menu. Typically, the key is labeled "SETUP" or something similar.

Basically, you have to go into the player's output settings and set the digital output to put out the raw stream instead of converting it into PCM.

The instructions that came with your DVD player should be able to elaborate how to do this as each model of player have different ways to go about doing this.

The option in question may be labeled as "DIGITAL OUT," "SP/DIF OUT," and etcetera. The labeling of settings can be anything like "D-PCM," "LPCM," "Bitstream," "Raw," "Dolby Digital," "PCM Only," and etcetera. It should be set to "RAW," "BITSTREAM," "STREAM," and etc. Some players also have a seperate option on allowing DTS output or not, and this should be set to ON if your receiver supports it (and it does).

Try it and check back. And, don't worry about damaging your DVD player or receiver. Changing these settings shouldn't cause any harm to your equipment. - Reinhart

Post Number: 7
Thanks for all of your help. It has lots of volume now and sounds really good. I truly appreciate all of your help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
You're welcome.

I'm glad I was of assistance. Have fun with your system! - Reinhart

I despise kip
Unregistered guest
OMFG What a dork

Retard
Unregistered guest
Lost My Manual For HT-DDW870 Could Someone Help Me Out Thnx

Gold Member