Help! Panasonic, Pioneer Philips? Newbie I don't know jack!!

Username: Debster

Post Number: 1
I would appreciate any advice that you can give! I don't know anything about home theater systems and just found out that we have points (THAT ARE EXPIRING IN ONE WEEK)from our credit card to get free stuff. We are trying to choose a home theater system but are pretty ignorant when it comes to electronics. Here are our choices: Panasonic SCHT 930, Philips HTS 3400, Pioneer HTZ 740DV, or Pioneer HTP-3600. We currently have a big fat old 36" tv and a decent Panasonic DVD player. We would like to someday upgrade to a flat screen. STUPID QUESTIONS THAT WE HAVE: Can our dvd play cd's? Do these systems have receivers? Should we get a system with a dvd and trash our 4 year old dvd player? OPTIONS THAT WE HAVE: There are a few separate pieces that we could buy with our points like a Pioneer 12 disc player and a couple different bose speaker sets. Is that a better option? Expensive to buy other pieces? WHAT WE WANT: We want a good reliable system to watch movies and play CD's with decent sound for the average family that will last us a little while. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP YOU HAVE!!

Username: Debster

Post Number: 2
Okay- If you could just tell me which one you would buy? the panasonic, the philips, or one of the pioneer's.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1791
Definitely not Philips, cheap junk.

Anonymous

I just got TiVo and want to run it through my pioneer suround sound with dvd player---I have yellow and white cables what is the red for? This system is run on a regular cable. Any help?

Anonymous

I just got TiVo and want to run it through my pioneer suround sound with dvd player---I have yellow and white cables what is the red for? This system is run on a regular cable. Any help?

Username: Irisfailsafe

BogotaColombia

Post Number: 2
Hello Debra. I just bought a Yamaha YHT 165/160 for the US. I think its amazing and not very expensive $300-400. About your questions, yes DVD players can play cd's. You might want to get a new dvd that can play data dvd's (they can hold about 2000 songs) jpeg photo discs, mp3 and much more.
And you can buy those separate pieces but you will still need a surround sound receiver so in the end it will be more expensive, plus you have to match speakers to the receiver and so on...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us