Anyone have the Denon 3806?

Username: Ns158

New Haven , Ct Usa

Post Number: 8
Just curious if anyone has the Denon 3806 yet. I am almost ready to upgrade my receiver and was just about set on the 3805 but after researching the 3806 I think I may go for that one. Aside from the HDMI what other major differances between the two. Right now I don't have a TV w/ HDMI on it but plan to upgrade to a DLP or Plasma in the future. Is HDMI that much better than Componet? Any opinon's would be apperciated, good or bad. I have also been lookin at the Yamaha 2600. I have never owned a yamaha so I'm not too sure about them. I have owned Denon in the past and love the sound they produce.

ltevans
Unregistered guest
S.O.S/ Need help decideing on an AV receiver. Its between Denon's new 3806 or the 5803 which I can still get. My theater is 11' X 22' and fully insulated, tight as a drumb. I know the 5803 is more powerful but will I really notice the difference between the two. I know the 3806 has HDMI & updated features but I'm looking for best sound quality. 5803 will cost about $700 more, worth it?

ltevans
Unregistered guest
PS looking for a response from someone who has actually heard both units

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 162
I'd say, for the both of you, just get the AVR-3805. It's a very fine receiver and, IMO, HDMI apparently has some bugs that need to be addressed, including issues involving its capability to hold picture and sound signals simultaneously and reliably.

You can also try to wait until the AVR-3806 comes out, which may allow a price drop for the AVR-3805.

Ask if you can audition potential receivers not only in the showroom, but also if you can purchase a receiver and bring it back if you don't like it.

In the case of the AVR-3806/AVR-3805 versus the AVR-5803: you should consider the 5803 only if you really need the extra amplifier power. More power would be necessary if you have a big room and are driving larger loudspeakers. Otherwise, the AVR-5803 would be overkill, in which case you should save money and go with the 3805 or 3806. The 5803 is a MASSIVE receiver compared to the 3805 and 3806 (although prices on it would be great considering that it's discontinued and retailers will no doubt be clearing any remaining stock of this model)!

Just be sure that you buy a new Denon component from an authorized Denon dealer to validate your warranty coverage for your investment.

Detailed information:

AVR-3805
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR3805_review01.php

AVR-5803
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR5803p1.html

- Reinhart

Username: Dgtlmn

Augusta, Ga. U.S.

Post Number: 1
In regards to those inquiring about the Denon 3806 I have heard both the 3805 and 3806 and the thing that kept bugging me was the lack of a setup microphone which I would eventually have to purchase, and the HDMI switching which I do have connections for on my Sony Grand Wega LCD.The ability to channel all my video through this one connection is to say the least very convient, as i have the Playstaion 2, Dreamcast, XBOX,etc.
And as far as sound there is a very clear difference between the two and more control with the 3806.However, let me make this very clear i could LIVE WITH BOTH OF THEM EASILY!!!There is a difference in picture quality between HDMI and component i didn't believe until i saw it with my own eyes.
My dilema was i felt that i would be settling for technology that was a little dated that's why i went for the 3806.I don't need the XM sattelite but my thoughts could change down the road. And that auto setup makes it so easy to set it up for anywhere you and your friends will sit while watching movies is simply grand. And everything sounds better with this Machine even my MInidiscs!! Anyway hope this helps someone outhere if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Unregistered guest
I have a 3806 and can't get the hdmi switching to work. My sony television has a dvi input so I'm using a hdmi to dvi conversion cable. I'm able to play my hdmi dvd to my television but when I hook up the dvd through my receiver I get very lousy picture. any thoughts

Shekhar.
Unregistered guest
I agree with Leroy. There is sound difference between 3805 and 3806. 3806 sounded better to me.. But again, they both are very good receiveres..
HDMI is DEFINITELY better quality than component.. But my Sony LCD rear has 2 HDMI inputs already, so this is "nice to have" feature. As per Denon site, 3806 is 120 W/channel, and 3805 is 110. I liked to have more power.. 06 is also XM radio capable if u care to get it in future.. Hope this helps?

Grumpy D
Unregistered guest
JmarLatt. i can't get HDMI output from the 3806 either. I have RGB input, but not HDMI out. Not imppressed as this was a selling point for me to get this biytch of an Amp. Has many good features. The remote is excellent. And has a nice UI. Just making this effing HDMI output work and i will be happy

dbaile
Unregistered guest
I just bought the DENON 3806 (also because of the HDMI switching) and haven't set it up yet. Now someone told me today that if my DVI equipped monitor is not HDCP (copy protection) compatible, I may get no picture through the HDMI out. Could that be?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us