Having Problem with Zone 2 on receiver

Username: Den327

Post Number: 2
I prewired and installed 8 pairs of speakers throughout my home with russound volume controls in each room.All feeds from volume controls were home runned to an audio cabinet.I have a Yamaha RX-V1500 Receiver hooked up and am using the zone 2 output into a russound 8-channel speaker selector and then out to the volume controls then speakers.All volume controls are impedance matching and are set at 1X.The selector is also impedance matching set at 7-8 pairs.My problem was that whenever zone 2 audio was turned on at the receiver the receiver would shutdown.Sometime an hour after-sometimes five hours later.I thought that an amp was needed so I bought a Audiosource amp300 300W amplifier and hooked it up using the zone 2 preamp output on the receiver.Now the receiver stays on,but the amp is now shutting down.I switched out the Yamaha receiver with exact model and still have the same problem.This project is killing me.Any Suggestions Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 77
I don't like or use any kinds of switching and volume controllers so I don't really know much about your russound devices...but from your description it's obvious that either your russound spkr selector and/or and volume controller is causing the problem.

You keep mentioning that the russound are impedance matching...but usually they are not automatching. You still need to know the impedance for your receiver, each of your speakers then dial the correct setting on your russound. This can be a nightmare if your speakers are not the same and have different impedances.

First off, once you adjust the receiver and the russound volume to some setting that do not cause clipping, make sure you set the RX-V1500 zone 2 volume to fixed. That might help. But I think the problem lies with your russound impedance settings...I'd call their tech support. They might be of some help. By the way on your volume control, 1X usually means no impedance matching at all.

Post Number: 3
I had the volume controls throughout the house set at 1X.That should be correct.I was using the speaker selector which is impedance matching also.It has a knob on the back.You set it for how many pairs of speakers you have hooked up and I had it set at 7-8

Post Number: 4
I had the volume controls throughout the house set at 1X.That should be correct.I was using the speaker selector which is impedance matching also.It has a knob on the back.You set it for how many pairs of speakers you have hooked up and I had it set at 7-8

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 79
I have no way of knowing whether your selection of 7-8 is correct. If your receiver impedance is 8 ohm (default for RXV1500) but your speaker impedance is 4 ohm, you would need to set the setting to twice the amount of actual speakers...Vice versa, receiver 4 ohm, spkr 8 ohm, then you need to set it to half of actual number. You need to check your manual and follow the instructions very carefully. Of course you need to know your speakers' impedance.

Also, how do you know 1X setting is correct? Maybe so if your spkr selector setting is correct but if not, you might want to let the impedance matching feature of the volume controller to help you out (2X or 3x, etc. ---read your manual and call russound for help)
I wish you luck. In the meantime you may not want to operate your receiver and amp...their lifespans will be significantly shortened.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6300

I think you might be driving the Yamaha crazy with an impedance matching speaker selector/distribution panel and impedance matching volume controls. Normally you will only be required to adjust the impedance at one point. Doing it in both locations is essentially placing the two autoformers in parallel and halving the impedance load instead of maintaining the safe level of impedance your amp wants to work into. Did someone suggest you do impedance matching in both locations?

It is a possibility that the panel is not "impedance matching" but merely uses a load resistor selected by the knob on the back. This combined with load matching vc's could also be a problem. Did someone suggest this is the panel to use with these vc's?

If one or the other of the panel or vc's have the ability to bypass the autoformers for impedance matching, I would disble that function and see if that doesn't help the situation. If you have a choice of disabling both, I would let the distribution panel be the "normal" and the vc's be the impedance matching devices.

If this doesn't solve the problem, you will need to supply us with links to the panel and vc's before we can go any further down that path.

I assume you did a thorough check of the wiring for continuity and correct polarity before you attached any wires. Yes?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6301

Sorry, in the above, it should be the AudioSource and not the Yamaha that you are driving crazy. Right?

Post Number: 5
The volume controls are set at 1X which should be bypassed.Those were purchased first.I then went looking for the selector and Russound only makes the selector with impedance matching.Thats why both volume controls and selector is impedance matching.Polarity is correct all around and and all speakers are working.I could not get a direct link.You will find the Pro8HP selector and the ALTx2D Volume control specs at
www.russound.com Thanks Much

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6304

How are you operating the system when it shuts down? Since the vc's are no longer impedance matching, are you using them to turn off areas or are you switching the speakers off at the selector? Is it possible the vc's are loading the system down by being turned down while you are trying to get volume in another area? Just how loud are you playing when the amp shuts down? How many speakers are playing at any one time when it shuts down?

Have you considered switching the arrangement to use the vc's as the impedance matching devices and the speaker selector as a straight switch?

Post Number: 6
The last time it happened I had 6 selector buttons pushed in and volume controls at less than halfway up.I have not tried to switch the selector and use the volume controls with impedance matching.So I would set the selector at 1 pair to bypass and what would I set the VCs at?Thanks

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6307

Dennis, the instructions with the vc's give directions on how to determine the correct setting for the vc's to be used as impedance matching. Since you haven't even told us what type of speakers you are using, I'd rather you read the instruction maunal than make me guess.

Post Number: 7
OK,Yesterday I metered wires from amp to volume controls and from volume controls to speakers.All wires tested to be fine.While I had the vc's out of the wall I set them all at 8X and set the selector to 1pair.All seemed to work ok but I guess I will have to wait it out and see.Ill let you know.All speakers were 8 ohms.Thanks Again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us