5.1 Speaker layout for L shaped seating

Username: Col_b

Post Number: 1
I have been given a pacific 5.1 system - the only problem I have is seting up the speakers due to my L shaped seating setup.What is the best position for the speakers to get the best sound from my system.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6281

Not enough information, colin. Tell us more about the room and the seating arrangement.

Username: Col_b

Post Number: 2
Thank you Jan for responding. My room is approx 5Mtr x 3Mtr. My TV is in one corner of the room and the seating area is in the opposite corner. Due to the room layout ( windows, doors, fireplace etc ) I am unable to position the TV against a flat wall, the L shaped seating consists of 2 sofas at right angles to each other. I have speaker stands and wall brackets and am unsure which would be best. I have been told that my 2 front speakers should be placed either side of the TV at ear level but am unsure where to place the surround speakers due to the L shaped seating, Any advice greatfully received. Hope this is enough info to help you help me, Thanks in advance, Colin.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6302

You will have to experiment with the rear speaker placement. Use the stands to try placement as far back in the room as possible with a minimum of about 6-8' of separation between the two speakers. After you've determined where the speakers will work best, you can choose between stands or brackets. Normally getting the speakers up and at least 2' above from ear level is the best choice for a speaker that is close to your seating position. In a set up such as this, dipole speakers will often work better that a conventional monopole design to diffuse the sound throughout the room and have less "here's where the speaker goes" sound.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us