Home Theater Setup Question(s)

Shovelhead
Unregistered guest
I need some serious help in hooking up my entertainment center from scratch. I have received a Seura (www.seura.com) TV as a gift from my wife. The monitor that is used is a Sharp Aquos LC-45GD6U. The company removes the speakers prior to putting a frame and a mirror in front and around the monitor.

Quick rundown of my scenario; The monitor has a built-in HD-tuner and I have digital cable. Does that mean it's a plug & play situation, or do I need something additional from my cable company to receive the signal in HD? There is talk of additional antena's to receive local channels in HD I don't understand what that is all about.

Again since the monitor does not have any speakers I will need an outside source for my audio. To make the situation more difficult I have speakers in my ceiling for central stereo. Am I better off getting (a) surround sound in a box (ie. Bose, Harman/Kardon, Sony, etc...) or (b) a separate components for the whole system?

From my understanding the boxed systems are not very expandable so I would most likely have to get a separate receiver for the ceiling speakers anyways. But, if I go with separate receiver I will have an option to add a speaker selector to an auxiliary input so I could choose between the surround sound speakers as well as control any of the ceiling speakers independent of each other?

Another problem is space... The components need to be pretty compact as they will be going into an antique piece of furniture and altering the piece is completely out of the question. I'm not looking into something huge, but something more compact with just enough of inputs to make the system work with the ceiling speakers.

The only thing that I need this system to do is to be able to run my surround sound and ceiling speakers (not @ the same time) and view DVD's and regular TV shows in HD (when available). The system will not be expanded any more than that.

Can anyone recommend what I should look for?

Thanks for any and all help in advance and please excuse my ignorance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us