HTIB cabling hell, please help

Username: Newarcher

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1
I bought a SONY HT-6900DP and received it last night. It comes with a receiver and with a DVD player. Their instructions SUCK. I could sit and write about how to accomplish nuclear fission and end up with a more understandable instructions. The 6900 comes with a separate receiver and DVD shuffler.

My question is how to hook it up and what cables I need for this.

As I understand it from the instructions, I need to do the following:

DVD to Receiver:
AUDIO--digital coaxial output from dvd to the DVD in coaxial input on the receiver (using the digital coaxial cable).
VIDEO--component output from the DVD player to the component video input (DVD) (using the RGB cable).

TIVO to Receiver:
[NOTE: my TIVO doesn't appear to have component connections, instead it has red, white, and yellow for each of the two satellite connections along with a single yellow connector]
AUDIO--Digital optical output from the TIVO to the digital optical video in. It is called video in despite being audio...confusing (using the digital optical cable).
VIDEO--It looks like I have to use a standard yellow video cord from the TIVO to the video 2 input on the receiver, correct? The receiver doesn't accept svideo and the tivo doesn't have component hook ups, I don't think.

From the receiver to the TV (video):
My TV only has a yellow and two red and two white (composite). So I will have to go from the monitor video out on the receiver to the video input on the tv using the yellow cable. No choices there.

From the TV to the receiver (audio):
I will just use a red and white cable to hook my red and white audio output from the tv to the video 2 audio in, correct? This should let me hear simulated surround sound through the receiver by selecting video 2.

This is all very aggrivating and SONY should be ashamed at how they wrote those instructions. Now that I wrote this down, it seems a little clearer but I want to make sure that I am not hitting any pitfalls as in Dolby won't work or needing 6 remotes to control all of this, etc.

Thanks from a newbie to these boards.
New

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 55
Sounds to me you've got everything correctly. You might want to see whether you will get video from the HTIB via DVD. Some HTIB do not convert component video (from DVD) to composite video.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us