Assistance needed in equipment planning

Username: Neverbme

Post Number: 1
Hello,
I am new to the board as of today. I plan on building a media room in my new home. i will be finishing the basement and i have designated a 12x13 room to do so.

Here is what I plan on using so far. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated as this will be the first time constructing a room specifically for this.

Yamaha receiver RX-V1600 or RX-V2600
Yamaha DVD player S1500
Velodyne Subwoofer DLS-3500
Surround Speakers (NEED HELP)
Left/Right channel speakers (NEED HELP)
Center channel speakers (NEED HELP)
Infocus Projector SP7205/7210
Da-Lite Projector Screen 90-100" diagnal

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 155
Having just gone through this myself, here's the advice I can offer:

1) If you haven't bought things yet, don't limit yourself to any one brand of anything.

2) If you can get away with it with the spouse, floorstanding front speakers will give you more of the movie theater effect than on-wall/in-wall speakers. There are MANY options depending on your budget and needs. You will want to timbre-match your center speaker to your front L/R at least, and it's ideal if you can do that with your surrounds as well, especially if you intend to listen to any multi-channel audio (DVD-A or SACD).

3) I would say to bump your screen size up a little bit to 100-120" but that will be a bit much in a 12x13 room.

4) Wire/cable everything before the drywall goes up. If you can't do that, or suspect you might have to change things around, consider using PVC conduit behind walls, under floors, or above ceilings (if ceilings are to be drywalled, ignore for drop ceilings) to make it easier to pass wires/cables through later.

Good luck with everything. For pics of my finished project, go here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/164771.html

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 54
For a Yamaha RXV-1600 or 2600 you should be planning on 2 additional speakers in front (Presence R/L) and 2 additional surround speakers in back (10 total speakers) to take advantage of its 7.1 capability. I have a RXV-1500 and I love it. The RXV-2600 is even better.

Not sure if your S1500 is a up-convert DVD. You should get one that will upconvert DVD video to 1080p.

You might want to compare your Velodyne sub to one of the Hsu subs...I read nothing but good about the Hsu subs and price is very reasonable.

Paul98
Unregistered guest
I would not get a dvd player that upconverts to 1080p, or heck I wouldn't get on that upconverts at all. Your projector should have a good converter in it. Though if you really want you can test out some upconvert dvd players with it. And for that sub, I don't know much about that model Velodyne, but yeah HSU is very good for the money, and so is SVS. Though if you are building your own room, you might want to custom build your own.

What sort of budget do you have for the speakers? If I were you I would go and listen to speakers in your area and find some ones that you like. I know I personally like definitive, and polks LSi line, plus quite a few more. But it really depends on your budget, and how you like your speakers to sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us