Ghost FM radio from rear surrounds

david f
Unregistered guest
I am now receiving ghost FM signals in my rear surrounds. It happens only when listing to 6.1 music or watching a movie. Does not happen when receiver is set on 7 channel stereo.Has anybody experienced this? Anybody know what to do about it?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 363
Check your speaker connections very carefully at both ends. If it is touching metal somewhere other than the connections it might pickup radio signals.

Frank Gerard
Unregistered guest
I remember Reagan had this issue when Air Force one would fly over houses. People would pick up weird radio signals, or their garage doors would open up.

Stof's suggested "metal touching acting as an antenna issue" is not a possibility just as Reagan is no longer a possibility, unless someone is flying his plane over your house david.

If you are using remote speakers you need to make sure you have them on a good frequency goof ball, if you are messn around quit that. Don't mess around too much, or you'll get your system all messed up. Learn and listen, also listen and learn. Never forget that. Ok, break!

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 367
"Stof's suggested "metal touching acting as an antenna issue" is not a possibility"

Curiously Frank why do you think this is not a possibility?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6149

Does the station remain a constant FM frequency? In other words, is it always the same channel or does it change with your receiver's tuner output? If it is always the same channel, you are picking up stray RF from some source.

Stray RF fields are typically very location dependent. Moving the speaker wires a few inches will often solve the problem. If you have access to the wires in the attic or under the house, I would look for any place where the wires run close to an electrical race of wires and make that my starting point for moving wires.

First, I would temporarily connect the surround speaker wires to the front channel speaker outputs and vice versa and check for bleed through on the surrounds or the front speakers.

If the phantom tuner stays in the surround speakers, the problem is after the receiver's outputs and is probably wire related and you can begin searching down the problem.

If the phantom tuner moves to the front speakers, the problem is in the receiver or wiring in front of the receiver.

To check wiring in front of the receiver disconnect each interconnect cable and any video cables in the system, one at a time, until the phantom signal disappears. If the cables check OK, the problem just about has to be in the receiver.

If the station changes with the tuner in your receiver, you have bleed through from the tuner to the front end of your HT receiver. This would need a technician's attention to repair.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6162

Here are some alternatives should you determine the noise is being picked up by the speaker cables:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/bulletproofing systeminterf.php

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6163

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/quadshieldcabl es.php
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us