Best HTIB for HDTV + XBox?

Username: Lawdog

Post Number: 1
I have a Samsung HLR5067 (DLP) which I love, an XBox (soon to be an Xbox 360), and a Cablevision HD Box with the following I/O ports: a) 1 HDMI port;
b) 1 optical audio out;
c) 1 component (PrPby/V)out;
d) 1 digital audio out (non optical);
e) 1 analog audio out;
f) 1 composite out

So, I have 2 questions:

1) I am about to buy an HTIB, and have been looking at a Sammy HTP50 (figure compatibility is better), or a Sammy HT-HDP40, and have also liked the looks of the Onkyo HT-S770 (though this looks big and clunky) and a Sony DAVFX80. Recommendations?

2) This is not really a totally separate question, but, with respect to the above, what kind of Inputs and Outputs should I be looking for in a Home Theater system for maximum video and audio performance with my Xbox 360, TV, and DVD player (which may end up being the XBox 360 --- and yes, I know it's not the top of the line DVD player out there, but I don't need perfection)? It would seem to me (and I am a *super noobie* with this stuff, that the ideal would be to have 2 HDMI ports in the home theater system, one to receive the HDMI signal from the cable box, and the other to send the HDMI signal to the TV? Are there ones out there like this? Or is that not necessary? Is is just as good to have HDMI go straight to the TV (for the best picture), and then just have the optical audio go into the Home Theater (and if that's the case, then am I right that I should have a HTIB with at least two optical audio in ports, so I can have the top audio from the cable signal, and the best possible audio coming out of the XBox 360 into the home theater system as well? ***Finally, doing some reading on this excellent forum, it appears to me that perhaps using coaxial digital cable from either the Cable or Xbox *would be just as good* as using digital optical cable? Is there any real noticeable difference?

THANK YOU very much for your help and insight -- it's very appreciated in advance!!

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1144
In that grouping, consider Onkyo. You can get multiple HDMI inputs on receivers but those receivers tend to be on the expensive side at the current time. Think about your current equipment and that you feel you reasonably might purchase in the near future.

The MOFO has spoken.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us