Yamaha RX-V1500 vs. RX-V2500. Is it worth the extra money?

Bronze Member
Username: Tonis

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 11
I'm trying to decide which Yamaha receiver to get. For now I will be running a 5.1, maybe 6.1 setup. My room measures around 35'x15', cathedral ceilings. I'm trying to figure out the main differences between the V1500 & V2500, aside from the extra 10 watts with the V2500. Is the V2500 worth the extra $100-$150? Will 10 extra watts make much of a difference? Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2502
I think it's worth it the upgrade. The dont think the extra power will make a big difference, but the 2500 has some nice upgrades. I think the new GUI onscreen menu program is worth an extra $150 all by itself. It is 'by far' the best and most interactive and userfriendly user interface on the market.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 29
Tony,
I bought the RXV1500 but not for the price, it was the wait in my case. I regretted not getting the 2500...it's the "not having the better one" syndrome alone is worth the extra money.

The 2500 has the GUI interface as Paul stated. Also, the 2500 allows you to save 5 YPAO settings versus the 1500 only one. The 2500 also has a few extra DSP modes (even though I feel the 1500 already has too many...confuse the heck out of me :-)). What's $150 spreading over 10 years?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 322
Why don't you also take a look at the Yamaha RX-V657 pure digital receiver? It has been getting good reviews.

Bronze Member
Username: Tonis

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 13
Thanks everybody for all the information. I wasn't aware that the V2500 had a GUI, where as the V1500 didn't. I've heard that these particular units are fairly complex in understanding how to use them while taking advantage of all their features. I'm sure the GUI is well worth the extra $$$. I'll check out the V657 as well. Thanks again!

Bronze Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 93
relying on YPAO for accurate adjustments is like asking a hooker for tax advice.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 47
Eric, can you show where you get the data to back up your statement regarding YPAO? I sense pure emotions at work here. That would be an interesting story if you care to share it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us