Radio Shack Sound Meter

Davey
I am new to the HT market and bought the analog sound meter as suggested in the sound & vision HT setup disc. I have set the meter to 70, weight to C and response to slow as instructed by the video. When trying to calabrate the speakers I set the receiver to the volume I would normally watch a moive, and am holding the meter in the listening spot at ear level. When the test tones come on the meter does not move, like it's not picking up the sound from any of the speakers. Although I can hear it by ear just fine. I have tried to play with the each speaker settings and still nothing. When I move closer to the speaker the needle starts to move. Am I sitting to far away from the speakers? I am about 10 feet from the mains and the surrounds are 4 feet from each side and 3 feet above ear level. Please help as I would like to try get this right. Thank you.

Dimitri
RESPONSE TO SOUND LEVEL METER PROBLEM (BY DAVEY)

Hi Davey,
I have a sudgestion which may or may not be useful. I got a sound level meter recently from Radio Shack. It's the digital model (the only one offered at the time). It has a frequency selector. Each selection measures 10db higher and lower then the selected level.
If yours has the selector, try to set it lower.
you mentioned that the needle moved when you got colose to the speaker, that may be the problem.
Dimitri
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us