Looking for opinions to buy speakers for ~ $4000 and a receiver for ~ $1000

steve p
Unregistered guest
Well after reading this site, I' ve seen that everyone says hear for yourself, but with that being said, I would like someone to point me in the right direction . I' d like to save some time ( precious ) by not listening/ auditioning to speakers that have a decent reputation but sound bad, like Bose (IMO). I live in Albany, NY and I seem to have 3 stores to look through. One of the stores, the guy seemed shady by raising the volume when I wasn't looking on the sound to try to make it seem better. The other 2 are just small. So I'll probably be driving to another big city to listen to speakers. If anyone knows of a good store around the area, could you enlighten me.

Jazz, Blues, and piano are very important to my girlfriend so it will be used a lot for that. I like big explosions in my movies, so that is important to me. I' m not sure about this, but explosions are easy right, music is hard?

I' m looking to spend about $4000 on the speakers. I think I want towers for the front and smaller for the surrounds. It will be for a 5.1 or 6.1 system. For the receiver I' m willing to spend around $1000 for. The sub(s) will be seperate from those prices. Those are just round figures that I' m thinking about that fit into my budget. If you guys point me towards some great speakers but there is not a receiver that is good enough at the $1000 mark, then I' ll upgrade into a higher bracket for the receiver. Also, with any of the speakers you guys recommend to me, could you give me an approx price?

Some speakers that I' ve seen on the site that everyone seems to praise are the Paradigm 100's. Some other speakers that my friends have or have told me about that I' ll think about getting are Totem Acoustics ( friend has these, I like these a lot ), B & W, and Energy/ Mirage. I' ve done a little bit of internet research and found just too many speaker to look through. This is where I hope you guys will help me.

For the receiver, I don't even have a clue. My friend with the Totem's has a British Arcam, only because the guy that sold him the Totem's said that they were a great receivers. I found out through you guys that a receiver makes a big difference. I' ve read that Denons are good, NAD's are good, but Onkyo have an ELF problem. ( frequency? ) I found out that THX is a marketing ploy so that was an easy solution for me. Thanks guys. So what should I get?

These will go into my living room which will be big ( currently living in an apartment until our house is finished ). The big living room is where I' ll need 2 subs, or so " THEY " tell me. So I guess the break in period will be easy with the apartment. Break in is where you do not tax your system with hard sound for some hours correct?

Now that I' ve said everything that I think might be important, reply away. If you have any questions, I' ll reply. Thanks a lot for the effort and responses.

Username: Mike_ks

Rogers, Arkansas USA

Post Number: 2
Steve, I am just sitting up my Theater Room in a new home I'm building and I'll share what I have come up with after several weeks of research on the forum.

AVR will be the Denon 3805
DVD will be the Denon 2900
Projector will be the BenQ PE 8700
Screen will be DaLite Cinema Contour HDTV 45X80 with HC Da Mat and Pro Trim
Speakers will all be Paradigm
Fronts will be Monitor 7's (towers)
Center (I already had this)CC-350
Sub PDR-12
Surrounds will be ADP 370's

Hope this helps.

Mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »