Yamaha or Denon?

Username: Ns158

New Haven , Ct Usa

Post Number: 1
I am currently running a Sony STR-DE895 and want to take it to the next level. I have a pair of Yamaha NS-707 towers up front w/ a Klipsch RC3 Center and a pair of B&W's in the rear. I have read mixed reviews about both the Yamaha and Denon. Maybe there is another product that I should concider. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 314

Denon and Marantz. You may also want to look at the NAD.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1091
"I have read mixed reviews about both the Yamaha and Denon. Maybe there is another product that I should concider." Stof, I don't think Denon qualifies as another product. Just a guess.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 23
What kind of receiver budget? You might want to go to "The Good Guys" and audition these different brands. Even within a brand, say Yamaha, the products they make range from junk to great stuff, depending on the price. In order to go to the next level from your Sony...for Yamaha, you'd need to get something like a RX-V1500 or better. The RX-V1500 list price is around $800, the RX-V2500 is around $1000. You can get them for $500/$700 if you look hard enough.

New Haven , Ct Usa

Post Number: 2
I want to keep it around $700-$800. I'm leaning towards the Denon 3805. Just looking for some honest opions from people that own either the Denon 3805 or Yamaha RX-V2500. I don't like going to the stores until I have a good idea of what I want.I always feel like they will tell you anything to make the sale.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2457
The reviews for the 3805 and 2500 are ALL good. Those were my finalists when I recently replaced my old receiver, and the 2500 won. Sound quality wise, I graded them as equals, but I liked everything else about the yammi better.

Username: Pc9840

Ledyard, CT USA

Post Number: 1
I just bought the 2500 and love it so far, can do everything I want it to do, and sounds great.

Username: Tmoore

Post Number: 9
I bought the denon 3805 last year and still loving it. Its driving all paradigm speakers with no problems.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2552
Yea good choice.
Thank goodness you didnt choose one of those defective units like NAD or some of the others.

Username: Bfloeyes

Post Number: 2
I've had problems with Yamaha (and Sony) shorting out. The Yamaha was an Natural Sound integrated amp back in the late 70's - early 80's. The Sony was just about the same unit you're replacing. The left channel shorts out almost instantly on on every input except the tuner. The right channel shorts out eventually. Very annoying when you're watching a movie and it goes from surround, to mono, and then eventually no sound. I'm looking at denon and harmon kardon

New Haven , Ct Usa

Post Number: 6
The only problem I've had w/ my sony is it would go into protect mode if I cranked it up too loud. It only happened 2 or 3 times in the 3yrs I have owned it.I had a Denon AVR-1700 and loved the it. It had such a clean sound. That's one reason I am leaning towards the Denon rather than the Yamaha. Even thought tha Yammi is THX, I think the Denon will produce a better sound. I still have some time to decide, I'm not planning on buing one for a month or so. The Denon price just dropped a little, maybe they are going to release a new model. Time will tell.

Post Number: 10
Tracy you will love the 3805 ,such clear sound and plenty of power,little tricky at first figuring it out ,has so many functions.the only thing is it does'nt come with a calibrating mic like the denon 2805 ,but the sound makes up for it...the mic cost 65 bucks and makes it simple to phase in your speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
by the way what speakers are you using.

New Haven , Ct Usa

Post Number: 7
I am running a set on Yamaha NS-777 up front w/ a Klipch RC-3 Center, and a pair of B&W's in the rear (to be replaced after the receiver upgrade) and a Velodyne DSL 4000 12" Sub (I think thats the model#). I just found out that a friend of mine gets Yamaha at cost so thats not helping me make a decision. I was almost 100% set on the Denon till I heard that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I think you will be happy with either receiver both great products but i still would pay the extra for the dennon. Your setup sounds nice.

Bronze Member
Username: Hallen1007

Charlotte, North Carolina USA

Post Number: 28
Do not forget the Marantz 7500. Great sound. I preferred it just a tad better than the Denon 3805.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I like the Marantz 7500 also but the 3805 has a little more watts per channel if thats a concern of yours.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us