Question about the HT-S650 remote

Anonymous
Why do people think the remote sucks?

Anonymous
because it does. They system is great, but the remote is terrible. It looks like the remote that came with my 10 year old Pioneer receiver.

Anonymous
Will the remote work with multibrands -- eg., Toshiba 35" PIP TV (about 9 yrs old), Cable TV box, and Toshiba VCR?

If not, do I need a learning remote?

Any feedback on the Sony RM-VL700 5 Component Learning Remote? Costs about $23 at
http://www.aaxes.net/products.mpl?id=2002-07-15_5046&act=pd

Anonymous
I have the Onkyo HT S 650 & the remote DOES learn functions of major brands.

I have Sony TV, DVD & VCR, plus AT&T dig cable--the Onkyo remote controls all of these just fine!!

magyar
God d*mn anonymous mode...

Hey Anonymous #4, where did you get the codes for the AT&T Cable? I live in Pittsburgh and have AT&T but can't find the codes for it.

Thanks,
M

magyar
I agree with Anonymous # 2. All the buttons look the same, they are all tiny and placed poorly. I like big buttons for certain things(volume for 1), and I like the remote to fit nicely in my hand. This remote probably cost 5 cents to make.

I'd look for a learning remote. That Sony looks nice.

Anonymous
Try the Philips 7 device remote $25 at Circuit City.
Cool silver color with glow-in-the-dark keys for use in darkened room.

Paklid
I don't care so much about how a remote looks, but it's just the fact that the HTS650 remote is kinda hit and miss when it comes to supporting a wide variety of components.

It didn't have the codes to control my dvd or my tv. I was getting sick of having a bunch of seperate remotes all over the place so I bought a Phillips universal learning remote for $25 from Sears. It had codes to control each component; receiver, tv, vcr and dvd. There is a similar Phillips remote for $20 that I saw at Best Buy, but it didn't have a seperate switch for receivers, whereas the one that I got, does.

I picked the Phillips remote because it supported all the brands of components that I have, plus it was a learning remote. The price was reasonable; I don't see a need to spend any more than 25 bucks for a stupid remote control. The buttons were large and varied shaped for tactile control without having to look at the remote. Also it looks kinda cool; silver finish with rubberized multi-colored glow in the dark buttons.

Anonymous
I get all the devices ok -- except the fact that I do not how to get the code for my cable ? Mine is Cablevision cable with GI box. (Gen Instrumetns) any help ? Thanks

Anonymous
I just bought and set up the Onkyo HTS650. I also bought and set up the Sony RM-VL700 universal remote because I felt that the HTS650 remote was a bit too tiny and confusing.

I have AT&T digital cable, Sony TV, Sony DVD, and Sharp VCR hooked into the receiver. I've programmed the Sony RM-VL700 to work with all devices. The one problem device was the AT&T digital set top box, which is manufactured by Motorola. The codes for digital set top boxes listed in the remote's documentation did not work. The code for Motorola set top boxes was listed as 017 in the Sony remotes documentation. AT&T Broadband told me that the control code for the Motorola box was 092 or 093. None of these codes worked. However, the Sony remote has a "search" feature which I used to get the remote to work with the set top box.

I'm still in the process of trying to optimize use of the remote with the HTS-650, so I'll update this posting.

Anonymous
I posted the last message about the Sony RM-VL700 remote. Here's the update.

I found that while the Sony RM VL700 was useful, it did not have enough features. I went out and purchased the Sony RM-VL900 which has many of the same features of the 700 but adds programmable macros.

The 900 is MUCH better for home theater use because of the macro features. Last night I programmed the remote for one button operations to turn on and off the TV, VCR and DVD. For example, to turn on the TV I had to program all operations: power on TV, power on cable set top, power on receiver, set TV to correct video input, set receiver to correct video/audio output, etc. Now, my wife and kids can use the system with one button operation.

So if you're contemplating the Sony RM-VL700, you should seriously consider paying the extra $20 for the Sony RM-VL900.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us