Help - Low signal strength & poor bass

Username: Kevin303

Post Number: 1
I bought a Yamaha HTR-5830 receiver recently. The problem is that its not reproducing bass anywhere near my liking, and the overall signal strength from my sources seems to be low.

Currently, as a starting setup, I have 2 large speakers that are capable of pounding low bass. I have gone through and set LFE to play through Front speakers, and set these speakers to Large size. I have set the bass to +10db (max) and increased the receivers front graphic equalizer to the max for 100hz area. The bass is still weak and sounds like its not reaching low frequencies. My former system was only a 50w x 2 shelf system, and could make these speakers wow me with all ranges of sound, including bass. I've tried all different sound field programs.

For sources, I'm using regular 2 channel input from my PC and have tried both the 2 channel and the digital coaxial from my DVD player. For the PC, I increased all output volumes to near the max and set the software equalizer to higher bass. This was never required on my previous system, and all it appears to be doing is making the signal sound over-amplified and drowned out, and only slightly louder. A normal listening volume is around -20db, and i'm unsure how this compares to others, but I would expect more power from that point considering it only goes up to +16db.

Any help with figuring this out would be much appreciated. This system seems to have good specs, and I don't want to return it if I'm just doing something incorrect.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1615
I don't know how loud you listen to your music. I've got the 5740, and it's hardly on at -20. -20 to -15 is where I have it for movies, I don't crank TV too much. 0 to +5 is where I have it for music.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1616
Make sure you have the ohm switch in the back set right.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2390
The impedence setting isnt going to fix his problem. He either has something connected wrong, or needs a better source.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us