Mixing ohms

Hotdaysofsummer
Unregistered guest
Can you mix ohms with no ill effects? My 2 rear speakers are 4 ohms 100w bookshelf speakers.

Username: Maximillian

AucklandNew Zealand

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony Home Theatre system with micro satellite speakers.
1. The sound quality is very 'tinny'from the front and center speakers. I suspect that I am getting mainly high range from them with plenty of low range from the sub but no mid range. So, I bought some further, larger, Sony speakers (complete set of 5.1), only to find they were 4 ohms rather than the 8-16 ohms of my amp. While they seem to work fine, what are the limitations and what should I be aware of?
2. The center speaker is still not producing a great sound. Should I be looking for a speaker with both tweters and mid range speakers.
Yes I know I should get rid of the amp and trade up, but that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4062
Yes they will seem to work fine for a while until you write back and ask why the protection light came on. Sony is not famous for handling 4 Ohm loads and as such your receiver will suffer a quiet death. Maybe not now but soon. And the "protect mode" really mean the receiver will not recover.

Get speakers other than what Sony has to offer. First we have to have budget!

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2562
Hot,
Providing your receiver isnt a weak and underpowered receiver, there will be no ill effects. I, in fact, do exactly that. My front and center speakers are 4ohm, and the rest are 8 ohm in my 7.1 setup. I push my reveiver hard during movies, and it doesnt even get hot.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 460
Personally, I like my ohms shaken, not stirred.

HEH
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us