Onkyo HTS 650 scratchy (clicking) noise with some DD DVDs

CHTFan
Bought my s650 for about a month now. I've found one weird problem with the HT-500 receiver recently. When playing certain DD DVDs, there is a short scratchy noise. (DVD player to receiver through OPT1 or coax). Have tried the same DVD on different players, receivers and speakers with no problem.

DVD: "13 ghosts" (many places), "spider man" (most obviously with the MIIB trailer and the beginning of spider man trailer), and titanic (ending credit). The scratchy (more like a clicking noise) is reproducible on the exact same spot.

Anyone having the same issue?

CHTFan
I'd really like to know if this is a common problem with the receiver included in HT-S650 or not. The receiver seems to be identical to the stand-alone TX-SR 500 model, but it is NOT. It is heavier and slightly more powerful than the TX-SR 500. So far I haven't heard anyone reported the problem on SR 500, while I have seen this problem reported a few times on 650.

Anyone who owns this system can easily test it out using the trailers (DD) on spiderman DVD mentioned above.
Other than this problem, it is a great system.

OahnMacleod
I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH WATCHING THE MATRIX and Starship Troopers!

Matrix - Chapter 15 - when they are in the Dojo and Neo gets beat first round. When music layer and sound effects layer gets going, I hear weird clicking sound from around all speakers. It sounds like, "ffflliitt, ffllit, flllitt". I brought it to a well known reputable dealer and they could NOT reproduce the problem, go figure! I am having a guy come out to the house tommorrow after reading these posts, this is BULLSHIT! Also, chapter 28/29? where they go into the lobby, when he 1st fires the mp5's and when they begin firing m16's. Same clicking, flit sound around all speakers. PHUCKING ANNOYING!

THanks

Just trying to help
Any scrathes on the DVD? There is also a feature in DVD players to turn off sound when seeking so that when forwarding or rewinding (main audio cds)you will not here the annoying sound.

OahnMacleod
Don't Just Try to Help when you can't understand the message. CD scratches, get real you noob...
The problem I am having has to do with the processing of the audio signal in the 5.1 DD format. It is eliminated when I switch the DVD player's output to the D-PCM format and process the sound in PLII on the receiver. This clicking noise is like the sound I described and does not sync up with any of the action on screen. This is reproduced in 2 identical systems I bought from Circuit City within a 2 month period. And last night, after reading the posts in this forum, I tried the LFE 5.1 test using the THX Optimizer and got the same faint heartbeat, no sound to the Subwoofer that so many described. I have my receiver in the Car from just getting it back from the local repair shop and I have to hook it all up again, just to run the same test so I can prove it out on my system as well.

Anonymous
it most likely is the broken LFE channel on infected models. I'd be curious to hear what happens when the LFE is fixed and you test it.

Anonymous
OahnMacleod,
Lighten Up, sounds like user to me.

Oahn Macleod
IT WAS THE LFE channel.

They did the fix and AOK! Even the clicking noise I was getting from the Matrix and Starship Troopers. I think it was the way the bass was not being fed properly, and it almost sounded like a speaker clipping noise.
And no, I am not using the wire that onkyo shipped with unit, (before any anonymous helpful suggests the wire is too thin a gauge).

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us