Need Advice for Good Receiver/Speakers

Username: Tonis

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 4
I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to this stuff, which is why I hope one or many of you can offer some advice. I'll soon be purchasing the 50" Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK and adding an HDMI board to it. I've been looking at the Yamaha HTR-5760 receiver and some Klipsch speakers, but am unsure of the true quality and performance of these products. Can anybody offer some advice here on if I should go with something else? My budget is somewhat limited to around $1500 for HT equipment. I need a receiver, subwoofer, and center speaker. Currently I have a 5.1 setup, though have considered expanding. I have some Infinity rear speakers, along with some mid-1980's Marantz speakers with 15" woofers that still sound pretty good. Any thoughts on the Klipsch F-3 tower speakers? Would the 15" woofers in my Marantz and a subwoofer be overkill on the bass? Should I look for a receiver with an HDMI port? So many questions I know! I great appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Username: Baseballfan

Post Number: 1
Tony,

I have a slightly earlier Yamaha (5650) that I have been pretty happy with.

Klipsch does make some good home theater speakers, but I am not a fan of the Synergy series. And while the Reference series is great it is probably over your price range.

You might want to take a look at the Acoustech 5.1 theater package from BIC America. The package can be had for < $1000, includes a very good subwoofer, and in my opinion is a better buy than the Klipsch Synergy series. Couple that with the Yamaha and you should be happy, plus you might even have a few bucks left over from your budget for some new DVDs.

http://audaud.com/audaud/MAR04/component/comp1.html

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the information Eric. Aside from your recommendation, I have heard others speak highly of the Acoustech system. I read a few favorable reviews as well that echoed what you said as well in regards to the comparisons with Klipsch. I think I'll go take a listen for myself. Considering the size of the woofers in the towers, in order to get good base, would you need to listen to music CD's via the surround mode using the sub-woofer? Or do you think listening just through the towers would provide enough bass?

Username: Baseballfan

Post Number: 2
My opinion is that the speakers were designed to be used with the sub. You won't need to listen to CDs in surround mode, if you set your speakers to "small" in the receiver setup then even when listening to CDs in 2 channel stereo the bass management in the receiver will route anything below your crossover (I think mine defaults to 90Hz) to the sub. There are of course lots of variables (your room, placement, etc.) but in my room I think they sound better set to small with the sub handling the lower bass.

I use mine about 90% movies/TV and only 10% for music. If those percentages were reversed I'd probably look at different speakers as I think these are really designed for home theater.

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 8
My music/movie watching ratio probably balances out at 50/50 or so. I haven't measured, but I would guess that my room is around 35'L x 20'W, so good base is important. While just listening to music, in addition to running the main speakers (towers), would I be able to also use my existing speakers to achieve a four-channel environment, while setting the speakers to 'small' in the receiver? And not utilizing the second set of speakers while watching movies in the surround mode? Hmmmm, did I just make sense? Thanks for your help Eric. Its appreciated!

Username: Rickshaw

Hartford, WI USA

Post Number: 9
Check out the Marantz line for receivers. Then check out the B&W speakers. They are awesome, and it's a great combination of gear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us