Need help!

Charleswm
Unregistered guest
I have a universal dvd player with built-in dts/dolby decoder. I am plan to buy a 5.1 speaker system with built-in amplifier for my dvd player.
I found a subwoofer speaker systen with an active subwoofer (100 watt rms) and 5 (each one has 100 watt rms) speakers which use for front, real and center speakers. But it has no digital/optical input/output. It has 5.1 analogue input only.

I would like to know whether this speakers system can output the dts surround/dolby 5.1 when I play the dts dvd on my universal dvd player. Do I need the optical/coaxial input on the subwoofer system for this purpose?

I have a budget limitation and I don't want to spend on the expensive av receiver when my dvd player has built-in dts/dolby decoder.

Please give me some advice whether I should buy this 5.1 active subwoofer speaker system (without digital input) or should I better buy the av receiver and 5.1 home theatre speaker system.

thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 423
you will still need a receiver. A universal DVD player is still just a DVD player, unless it has a built in amplifier, you still need a receiver. A decoder is what reads the audio information in the disc and it is then sent to the receiver for amplification and control.

Charleswm
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your suggestion.

The active subwoofer has built-in amplifier and 5.1 input. I think it will amplify the 5.1 output from the dvd player if the cables connect directly to the subwoofer input from dvd player 5.1 output.
It also has the SW, main, etc. speakers control.

Do I still need the receiver?

Silver Member

Post Number: 424
what kind of speaker system is it?
Brand, model no., etc???

Charleswm
Unregistered guest
It is not the brand name one. It is local make (I think from China) and sound quite good. FYI, I live in Asia.

It has a remote control for Main, Front, Center, Surr, SW.
It has no decoder. but the seller told me it is 5.1 ready. (DTS/Dolby)
The Subwoofer has 5.1 input connector (Fr, Centre, Surr, and SW) which you connect them from the dvd 5.1 out.
And there is a input selection such as AC-3, VCD, Aux, FM tuner on the SW display menu.

But one thing I don't understand is, when I play dts/dolby dvd on the dvd player with 5.1 connection on the Subwoofer, the SW needs to conect to the AV output from the dvd player with RCA jack together with the other 5.1 connection. And also need to select the input to VCD on the SW display menu to get the Sub Woofer output.
If I select the AC-3 input on the display menu, the Sub Woofer is not working.
Is it not a true 5.1 speaker system?

Do you have any idea?

Unregistered guest
i have a "regular" DVD player, and it has no output for 5.1 speakers, it only has the usual RCA stereo jacks for left and right. I recently bought a 5.1 speaker system. How can i connect them? and also, will it produce the DTS 5.1 sound? (My DVD is DTS-ready) thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 853
charleswm,
did you ever get this thing to work. i forgot about this thread altogether.

speed-stick,
You DVD player is "dts-ready" and yet no output for 5.1...very confusing?!?
Does it have 6 outputs in the back? I.e., Left, Right, Center, Right Rear, Left Rear & Subwoofer??

what DVD player is it??

Anonymous

Help!

I'm a Rookie here. I purchased a sub-woofer with speakers new in the box KLH- to start a HT. I have a Sony reciever 6.1. What I need to connect is.
SAT/DVD/VCR/CD/. My Sat- pictures is not clear anymore since trying to install this.
ALL Speakers arent playing when watching TV, I've
done the Test- all speaker and the sub has sound.
I'm so lost... I'm not getting any "Love" from my new system. Please help.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 859
check your Sony receiver manual on how to connect all the peripherals. Best bet is to connect all your video output to the TV and connect your audio ouputs to the receiver.
If your SAT is not putting out digital surround, not all your speakers will produce sound, unless you manually override the DSP setting to pro-logic or neo.

speed-stick
Unregistered guest
berny,

my DVD is a JVC XV-N312S, it is DTS ready, but only L/R audio output jacks at the back
you can see it right here: http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027152&pathId=10&page=2

Silver Member

Post Number: 923
speed-stick
there is one jack in the back that is orange in color, it should say "digital output". You use a coaxial digital cable or a regular RCA jack to connect to the digital input of your 5.1 speaker system.

speed-stick
Unregistered guest
the speaker system has only 6 ports (5 for speakers & 1 for the SW).. i was wondering if i have an amplifier, would it work??, with this, the connection will be DVD L/R audio out <to> Amplifier L/R audio in, then... amplifier <to> speakers

Silver Member

Post Number: 925
speed-stick, you will need a receiver that is capable of decoding digital surround formats that can accept digtal audio and/or optical audio inputs. By just using the DVD L/R audio out, you will only get a stereo signal.

Unregistered guest
I have a thomson dvd player with built-in dts/dolby decoder. I am plan to buy a 5.1 speaker system with built-in amplifier for my dvd player.
I found a subwoofer speaker systen with an active subwoofer (100 watt rms) and 5 (each one has 100 watt rms) speakers which use for front, real and center speakers. But it has no digital/optical input/output. It has 5.1 analogue input only.

I would like to know whether this speakers system can output the dts surround/dolby 5.1 when I play the dts dvd on my thomson dvd player. Do I need the optical/coaxial input on the subwoofer system for this purpose?

I have a budget limitation and I don't want to spend on the expensive av receiver when my dvd player has built-in dts/dolby decoder.

Please give me some advice whether I should buy this 5.1 active subwoofer speaker system (without digital input) or should I better buy the av receiver and 5.1 home theatre speaker system.

Unregistered guest
Can anyone help me pleeeeez!!!?

I have a Goodmans dvd player with 5.1 surround sound system but unfortunately the player is on the way out. I bought a "Super" dvd player to replace it but cannot use it as connections are different. Input to original system is through 12 fittings where you just put wires in, but the new dvd player has only 6 input fittings. What do I need to buy to make them compatible??
Any help gratefully received!!! Not up on all this modern technology!!!

Unregistered guest
hallow iam jayan
iam ghoing to buy a onida dvd player
and i have a akai 5.1 speaker system with built in amblifier in its subwoofer .and all the surround speakers are connected to the subwoofer via pin.how i connect it to the dvd's 5.1 out put
please help me with a diagram of connections

Unregistered guest
I bought a Onida DVD Player that plays only Region 5 DVD's. Does anyone know how to break the code in it so that i can use it as a region free DVD? Pl mail me at endemail@gmail.com. Thanks in advance

Aman Oberoi
Unregistered guest
I have a local dvd player with an amplifier built in, it has 5.1 output jacks at the back, I plan to connect it to a 5.1 DTS home theatre system, will there be any problems.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1976
You'll find out once you put it together.

Username: Jwilly1

Post Number: 2
Klegg (www.kleggusa.com)makes an excellent speaker system that will allow you to connect a dvd with 5.1 outputs directly to the speaker system. This will save the cost of an expensive AV receiver.

Unregistered guest
I want to buy hometheatre with- 1. pioneer DVD player 578A-S.
2. Denon 1604/ 1705 Receiver.
3. A set of 5 speakers of CANTON make recommended by a website with following Specs- 2ea LE 109 3way as front L/R speakers (150-250 Watts), 2ea LE 101 surround speakers and 1ea LE 105 as centre speaker.
Will my system be as good as a 5.1 home theater without a sub woofer? I wonder why they have not recommended a subwoofer?

Unregistered guest
Can anyone help me please !!!!!

I had a sony DVD player. I brought a 5.1 speaker system. Then I found that I need a decoder to attach it with the TV or DVD. I brought the decoder... http://www.xmselectronics.com/Search/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=12.
I dont understand how to connect the decoder and the speakers. The subwoofer has 3 outputs. I connected with the 5.1 output of the decoder and with RCA jack with TV but the speakers doesnt work. When I directly attached the speakers with the decoder the speakrs work but the suboofer remains idle. I am confused what to do and how to attach the thing.

Senthil
Unregistered guest
Hi guys,

I have a Onida DVD palyer which has 5.1 DTS output. Suggest me a good and cheap 5.1 speaker system. Speaker system need not have a DTS decoder as my DVD player does that.
I am in Chennai, Tamil nadu.

Thanks,
Senthil

Senthil
Unregistered guest
Hi guys,

I have a Onida DVD palyer which has 5.1 DTS output. Suggest me a good and cheap 5.1 speaker system. Speaker system need not have a DTS decoder as my DVD player does that.
I am in Chennai, Tamil nadu.
If you can mail me to my yahoo ID mail_to_psk@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
Senthil

Bronze Member
Username: Tipstir

Post Number: 58
Try the HT-391 or HT-3915 from Wal-Mart or Wal-Mart Super Center for $39 to $49. Power Output is 100 to 140 watts per channel. If you find the HT-391 would be a better purchase.

If you want to spend more you can get the RCA system at Wal-Mart $148.

Unregistered guest
Hey, im from England. Sorry i think im having much the same problem, but if anyone could suggest an International Dealer/Model that would be great.
I have bought a Pioneer DV-575 DVD player, which has DD/DTS decoders built in and 5.1 phono output on the back. I was wondering if anyone can suggest any good 5.1 Speaker systems with the amp built into the Sub, so that i could hook it straight up. At the moment i am looking at the Acoustic Energy Aego5 Speaker system (the package without the decoder) but it is a bit expensive, is their any simular quality solutions anyone can think of?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us