DTS & DTS-PCM

BOCA
Unregistered guest
What is the DTS-PCM stands for and what does it do
different then DTS only? What is PCM any way?
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 45
Boca:
PCM is "pulse code modulation" and is the straight, unencoded digital stereo signal (not 5.0, 5.1, 6.1 etc.).

I have never seen the term "DTS-PCM" used before.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 476
PCM is the basis of DTS. and "DTS" does not need "PCM" after it; there is no other sort. PCM is also the format in which the data gets through to the processor for CD and DVD-Audio. Dolby digital AC-3 (5.1) does not use PCM, but something else, SACD something else again. DTS, DD, and SACD all use one or other way of compressing the data, like compressed computer files, in order to get more on a disc. Cd doesn't, it just takes raw PCM, but the quality of sound is limited by the sampling frequency and size.

For my money, DTS is the best DVD-Video sound format. But DVD-Audio beats it hands down. DVD-Audio (aka "DVD-A") uses the much greater capacity of a DVD disc, takes a whole side just for audio, and shoe-horns the PCM data in with Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP), which itself has no audible effect.

I've been thinking DTS was the best thing, until last week, when I got a DVD-Audio player. The sound is completely incredible. In my opinion, DVD-Audio is the most significant development in home sound reproduction since the introduction of stereophony, about 45 years ago.

Unregistered guest
Please help me for the activation code of surcode premiere dvd dts plugin. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 588
ahem...handy, you are in the wrong forum. Try vcdhelp or dvdhelp.com! DTS-PCM discussion, where in the world did you come up with activation codes???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us