Home Theater Noobie needs advice

Username: Youngster

Post Number: 1
Hi All, I am planning a home theater set-up on a somewhat limited budget of approx. $4,000 to $4,500 for a TV, A/V receiver and speakers to be placed in my den which measures about 15'x18'. The back wall and one side of my den consists of large windows. I'll be using this system to watch tv from a satellite as well as to watch DVDs and listen to CDs. Any help from you pros will be greatly appreciated.

I am currently planning on getting the Sony KV-34XBR910 for video and am thinking of getting the Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX or 55TXi. This will probably leave me about $900 to $1,200 for home theater speakers. Currenly I am thinking of the Cambridge Soundworks MC100.2, MC200.2, MC200 or the Bose Acoustimass AM-10 or AM-15 which seem to fit into this price range. How does this set-up seem to you? Are there better speaker systems which fall into this price range? I won't have room for any speaker package with tower speakers so something compact would be good.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 421
The Pioneer Elite 55Txi would be an excellent receiver, but I would skip the Bose Acoustimass. I had them before and they performed very poorly (AM-15)...great for video games, my kids seem to like it.
Check out these home theater speakers
http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicmidi.html
one of the better speakers that I tried
cheers

the duece
Unregistered guest
Check out Paradigm also, great speakers!

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 379
Paradigm's are great but not a good match with Elite. For your budget check out Monitor Audio Bronze series. Much better match.

Username: Feot

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 3
Looks like you are satisfied with just 5.1. I am a little late responding but i have a package that would work and sound great. 2 pair of NHT SB1, 1 SC1 center and a SW10, all new, sealed with 5 yr warranty for $1075 + shipping. Check out NHT at http://www.nhthifi.com/2004/
hope this helps...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us