When i turn up my speakers

Username: Seekanddestroy

Post Number: 1
i just bought the logitech Z5300e 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System, and i never noticed it before, but i turned it up for a while and took a shower and when i came back whenever the bass would be real deep or real high it makes a rattling noise. does this mean its blown?

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1081
Adam,

What film was it that you had playing, or music that you had plying then I can determine what has happened?

Ashley

Post Number: 2
i uploaded what it sounds like http://home.comcast.net/~s33kanddestroy/a.wav if that helps any

Post Number: 3
i was listening to war pigs by ozzy, but it does it on just about any song that has a lot of bass

Gold Member

Post Number: 1082
Jesus F##King Christ?

What in the hell, that has so much distortion on it, man I've done an audio college course, and I tell you that I only listened to that for 4secs, I can say this you have no ear for sound, and one wonder it has destroyed the speakers its raw and it stinks too the abyssal statistic depths of hell.....

Ashley

Post Number: 4
im assuming that means its blown? these are THX certified speakers, i dont know why they would have blown that fast...i only had them 2 days. some of that distortion is the song, its from the 70's

Gold Member

Post Number: 1083
Adam,

I would sooner listen to sine wave sweep than listen to that again man, just for seconds of that all most brainwashed me, talk about that film "Brainstorm" but that, thing you call music, no edit the post where you have placed the Quick-Time like

"Warning before playing turn the fader down to (1) has this can be very damaging and can result in loudspeaker damage"

Ashley

Post Number: 5
thats real helpful...anyway, i was looking online and it said to push the center of your sub but its completly sealed, no screws to take out to get to the sub. isnt there a way i can test it?

Post Number: 6
if i have it turned up like half way its fine, but when i turn it up any more it doesnt play bass very well. and it didnt used to be like that that i can remember.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1084
Adam,

I'm a former cinema projectionist, and let me tell you there is no loudspeaker, on the planet that I know of that will not give up the ghost, I'm running JBL control 5 monitors for the most part of my home cinema with a JBL 4645 professional "THX" cinema approved, had even that can give up the ghost in the careless hands of someone that doesn't understand what home cinema really means, I'm sorry that you have had this misfortune, and seeing it new and still under warranty, get it replaced.

I tell the Hi-Fi salesman if it can be possible that they can install the home THX sound system with it been calibrated to within the restraints of its technical tolerances.

Ashley

Post Number: 7
ok, i think i got it fixed now, the volume on the master volume control got changed around.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1085
Adam,

That's right if the sub bass makes a scratching sound its been pushed beyond its technical tolerances or the voice coil has welded itself to the inner housing of the structure, gee man I'm so sorry if this is the case really believe me, this is why I've done a thread called "The LFE test" looking at the highest levels on the LFE or subwoofer track, and its not wise to run a sub bass driver to the point where it overwhelms the motion picture soundtrack, because sooner or later Adam, it will give up the ghost, trust me....

Ashley

Post Number: 8
the reason it sounded so horrible in that clip was because 1. the song is from the 70's and 2 my microphone definately isnt the best and 3 i had it infront of my sub only.

heres whats its suppost to sound like http://home.comcast.net/~s33kanddestroy/02_War_Pigs.mp3 (yes that is the real song right off the cd)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1086
Adam,

Also buy a SPL db meter for setting up and calibration and alignments of the sound system, this is just a basic tool that's affordable at "Radio Shack" for around $24.00 dollars, indispensable.

Also there are other items like an RTA Real time analyzer Oscilloscopes and voltmeters that any field sound serviceman would use, so looks like the sub bass or possible even the amplifier as well as been damaged due to the voltage input distorting the electronic circuitry with that hellish raw sound, why, oh why would you be into that type of music is quit beyond me at this time.

Ashley

Post Number: 9
i said i got it fixed, it was just volume levels, i have no idea why the master volume being turned up and the wave volume turned down would make any difference, but i switched it around to the way it was yesturday and now it works. and obviously your not an oldschool rocker like i am.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1087
Adam,

Has I'm waiting for this to load-up and the Quick-Time for this one is so slower than the first horrifying first and last, this is not loading but I get the picture Adam, so replacement of the sub bass it looks like.

Also there was no other damage to the sound system, is there, check it out...

Ashley

Gold Member

Post Number: 1088
Adam,

No not that old, former cinema projectionist, but I'm never that careless with the fader level, even on any new film or music, hears a tip always start at the lowest volume level, if it's going to play fine on the sound system that you have then increase the level, bearing in mind SPL db level on your hearing? 85db Weighting for 8 hours, the higher the level the less time you should be exposed to it?

Ashley

Gold Member

Post Number: 1089
Adam,

Anyway I'm going let someone else reflect on this topic, I'll be back later, and happy

Upload
"THX" The Audience is Leistering!

Ashley
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us