Sound cuts off completely when silent (sounds daft i know)

Username: Mikeoh

Post Number: 1
Hey folks (my 1st post!)

I have a Sony DVD NS405 connected via fibre optic cable to an Eltax avr200 wired into a Gale Movistar 5 speaker package using cheap maplins speaker cable (i've some better stuff in the post).

When i'm listening to a film and there is silence on the audio track you can hear the sound from the speakers noticeably abruptly stop with a quiet 'pop' the same thing happens as the audio in the film picks up again yet the 1st few fractions of a second of audio are lost. It is very frustrating. It seems like the amp is just cutting out all together.

I'm not entirely sure what to put this down to as occasionally when there is silence in a film it doesn't happen. I think it may be due to the poor quality of my cable which i've used to wire up the speakers, which is why i've ordered some much better 326 core oxygen free stuff.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this will cure the problem, or if i do have a problem with my amp.

Cheers all,

Mike

scottro
Unregistered guest
I think I had a similar problem in the past. You might double check the optical from the DVD to Amp. My problem came from having both the optical cable and the RCA style analog plugs connected at the same time from the same device - don't ask why but when I unhooked the RCAs the sound stopped dropping out from the digital (5.1) signal. Regardless it's gotta be a source connection problem rather than from the amp to the speaker. Good luck.

Username: Mikeoh

Post Number: 2
Hmmm, the only RCA plugs i've got connected are from the tele. It gets complicated now. In order to play DVDs we have to swap teles over cos the one that we keep in the lounge is small an naff and we swap it with a better one that one of us has in our rooms (it's a student house btw). The naff tele is connected to the amp from its headphone soccet via RCA analog plugs. It remains connected in this fashion as we play a DVD through the other tele and shove the naff one out of site. These are the only analog plugs connected to the amp.

Thanks for your reply!

PS; i got the new cable n the problem stll remains.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us