RCA RT2250 Left and Right Speaker Icons are Flashing

Username: Jeliel

Post Number: 1
Greetings to all.

I hope someone can help me. I was given an Audio/Video Receiver (RCA RT2250) and this being my first Receiver and not being a connaisseur of such electronics (I'm a PC tech, but a nothing when it comes to A/VR)

> Now I tried the full set-up --> NO GO --> Left and Right Speaker Icons are Flashing

So I reduced it as much as I could to isolate the problem. I only have the power cord, right, left and SW speakers plugged in and tuned in to a radio channel.

So the radio is TUNED properly and I'm getting the channel, except theres no sound.

> Swapped speaker cable --> NO GO
> Swapped speakers --> NO GO
> Swapped speakers from a small audio system with built-in wiring --> NO GO
> Yes I RTFM :-) and followed all the instructions --> NO GO
> tried multiple online solutions I could find --> NO GO

I just can't get anysound. I succeeded in getting a little bit of sound from my CD player, but it was very low and extremely choppy.

So what does it mean when the icons flash and what can I do to make the damn thing work. I'm just dying to play my Matrix Collection :D

TIA for the help.

Unregistered guest
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME ISSUE! L and R speaker icons flashing in unison and no sound... did you get a fix yet? if so email me

mystereys
Unregistered guest
I have a similar problem here, with one change. Sometimes, instead of the sound cutting out all together, it cuts out in time with the flashing icons--so, 1 second of sound, 1 second silence, repeat. Really annoying. I've done everything except taking the thing apart and seeing if there's something wrong with the wires inside the unit. It seems as though this is a common problem.

rwainwright
Unregistered guest
I have the exact same problem with the same model receiver. Did anyone else find a solution?

O.O.T.P
Unregistered guest
try resetting to factory defaults ; you do this by pushing in sequence ; stadium;night;dspoff;club

Unregistered guest
Hello, I also have the same unit RCA RT-2250. I don't use it anymore because of the problem, but keep it. I found other leads to resolder some of the voltage regulators. That didn't help. I tried the reset mentioned above and I might be doing it wrong as I don't get the feeling is being reset. Could you expand on that.

Unregistered guest
Hi guswin95,

from the manual on page 9 :
Restore to Factory Settings
You can always restore all settings back to its original
state. When the receiver is in STANDBY mode, press
accordingly to restore all settings back to factory
default :
STADIUM -> NIGHT -> DSP OFF - > CLUB

here is the link for the entire manual :

http://www.rca.com/documents/RT2280_700610_25.pdf

good luck !

Pierre

Username: Rudie33

Hello Everyone.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Ihave the receiver and I hate to just throw it out, but it's drivin me nuts...

thanks
Rudie33

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7809
Throw it out or have it repaired or you will go nuts. :-)

The unit is broken and you cannot service it yourself.

Username: Rudie33

Post Number: 2
has anyone had it repaired? if so what did they say was the problem???? if it's replacing ic's or soldering I can handle that...

Rd33

Username: Cem

I have the same, infrequently works, often no sound, often sound comes and goes. Model RCA RT2250R. Can handle most repairs, need HELP finding the source to this problem.
TIA Chuck

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1771
This is one of the worst products I have ever seen from the large response that came about!

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 376
Andre, it is still better than the "white van" home theater speaker systems that create threads that are pages and pages long.

Username: Sandman71

After having the unit for 5+ years, this problem started happening to me. I bought a new DVD player, tried to use the optical input and boom, no more sound. Even with the old DVD player plugged back in (in the coax input), the sound no longer works and the left/right speakers are flashing. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Username: Cowboyjohnjohnhotma

Humboldt, Saskatchewan Canada

i was able to determine the chip that causes the problem... the problem lies in the chip with the green light that was the optical and coaxial input. i had the same problem pulled the plugs on that chip chaecked everything then put it all back together and voila it worked and the green light was gone then a few days later i moved it and everything crapped out and the green light came back on only this time no choppy sounds at the moment i get nothing just the flashing speakers and that green light that just loves to sit there laughing cause theres nothing i can do to fix it when i can afford it i'm sending it to this guy i know that is an electronic engineer from japan i will get him to explain what was wrong and post it bare with me it probably won't happen till june and this guy can repair anything i've sent him so far from car audio to house appliances you name it he's fixed it

Username: Cowboyjohnjohnhotma

Humboldt, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 2
i found out how to fix it it's not the chip i thout it was it's a bad solder connection on a different bored email me at jemoltechnolive@hotmail.com and i will tell you how to fix it

Username: Tsr2

I was given a RCA RT2250 this weekend by a friend that said it needed a little work. This unit was having the same problems as described above. I noticed the post above narrowing the problem down to the card that controls the optic / coax input. This might sounds stupid but I started tapping the different connections on that card with a screw driver. When I got to the actual optical plug on the back and tapped it, the green light went off and receiver came to life.... Grant you when I moved the unit the infamous green light came on, but with a tap of the plug off it went and the receiver works again. I ran out of time tonight to actually determine what the actual problem is but I think it's one of two things. 1 a bad solder on the optical input causing a short or 2 something in the optical plug that tells the unit that something is plugged in is bad.. As soon as I figure out the fix I will post it.

Username: Chiefjoe

I wanted to come on here and share how I managed to fix my RT2250. I got this receiver for free at a yard sale, got it home, plugged it in to find out that it had this flashing speaker problem. Mine has the sound that cuts in and out. I messed around best I could (which wasn't much), looked it up online, didn't find any way to fix it, and put it away on a shelf for 2 years.

Recently, I've gotten much more into electronics, and saw the poor thing sitting on a shelf, and decided to give it another go. Looked all over the thing for bad caps, or maybe an obviously bad solder joint. Nothing. Took off the major heatsink in the front of the unit, checked it over, nothing. I put it all back together, and turned it back on one more time to check if maybe something got fixed in taking it apart. Still doing the same thing.

At this point, I was gonna put the lid back on and chunk it so it'd be out of my way. Before I did that, I figured I'd try D. Blanton's idea of tapping connections. When this didn't get me anywhere, I started hitting components, and lo and behold, after about the 9th or 10th hit, the green light went out, the speaker icons quit flashing, and the sound stayed on. After I power cycled it, the problem came back, so I began, let's say, scientifically hitting stuff.

What I tracked the problem to was a row of 7 voltage regulators, and the heatsink attached to them. (To find where I'm talking about, look for the vertical piece of metal in the middle of the board, right next to the 2 big capacitors.) If I pressed the heatsink toward the power supply side of the receiver, the green light went out. Press it the other way, the light comes on. Thinking i had found my bad solder joint, I started testing voltages on the regulators, and found one that acted a bit funny when I tested it, although it did give the proper voltage. I touched up the solder on all 3 pins of the voltage regulator, and, at least so far, it seems to have fixed the problem. Even when I push the heatsink, I'm unable to make the green light come on.

I realize that's a long story for a short fix (and I even left out the bit where I accidentally shorted 2 pins on a voltage regulator with multimeter probe and blew out 2 fuses), but I hope this will help somebody out there.

Username: Jheinz

I have a rca rt2250 - at first it powered up the front all functioned - I just dont get any sound, I repaired the regulator connections - i then get sound on stereo only, no surround functions - the speaker lights flash for 5 minutes then go solid - i tried the reset - it still doesnt work.
It shows on the front that its selected and the speaker icons flash showing that its in surround mode, But no sound, If i switch it back to stereo all work fine. Any other clues?

Username: Breadpeg

RCA rt2250b audio/receiver/amp
flashing speaker icon, no sound
anyone have a repair manual or trouble shooting chart ?
can you send it to pegbread@yahoo.ca

Username: Ddown

RCA RT2250B: Solution I found for flashing speaker icons.
Tested: Volume setup of speakers. Test sound was present on all. Therefore power amp is OK and is an input fault.
Action: Removed the Digital & Optical board and resoldered cracked joints on the two inputs jacks and reseated board. Unit powered up with no flashing speaker icons and sound returned to normal. Tested 2 days OK

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15927
A better solution would be to trash the unit and get a better receiver.

Username: Cgeissler

Folks:. I just got mine working. Unplug it first.
Take the cover off. On the right right side of the transformer (large metal cube thingy almost directly behind the "source" buttons) sits two small glass fuses. Check them. One of mine was blown. Replace like for like. Mine came right back up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us