LG Surround Sound system HELP!!

Anonymous

I have an LG home theatre system model LH-CX245 and all is fine exept I cannnot get any sound through the Subwoofer. I have attempted to go into speaker settings, but am currently unable to do so.

The manual states that speaker settings are only active on the analogue multi-channel output.

SORRY I am a bit dim when it comes to technical jargon such as this.

I am hoping that there is a technical Wiz out there who can guide me through getting this multichannel output active, so I am able to attempt to hopefully re-activate the Subwoofer.

Incidently, I have checked that the Subwoofer is ok by plugging it into one of the other speaker terminals. Seems ok and I have even had the main unit replaced, with absolutely no change. Any ideas Guys or Gals

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3394
Do you have an "LFE" or subwoofer output in the back of your home theater?

Unregistered guest
I've got exactly the same problem. Have you found a solution?

Username: Mikeyboy

Abingdon, Oxfordshire England

Post Number: 1
Sorry!

Messaqge to Berny. Thanks for your reply.Sorry for the dalay in my response, but i have just returned from my Hols.

What is an LFE. Yes! I am afraid a I am that bad on technical jargon

Gold Member

Post Number: 3789
Look in the back of your equipment and check for one single output that is marked "LFE" (Low Frequency Effects) or "Subwoofer" out.

Unregistered guest
Message to Berny,
I suspect that this one is driving Michael nuts same as me!The subwoofer connects to the speaker terminal marked as "W".there is no LFE output. I think it's known as a passive subwoofer.It's an all in one home cinema system.i have also tried the subwoofer in another speaker connection and it sounds fine. the problem is when you go to audio menu the option 5.1 speaker surround simply doesn't appear, which it should according to the manual, so there is no way to check/change the speaker settings!Everthing else(DVD picture,connection to cable box and sound from the other five speakers is fine.)Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.
p.s sorry to butt in Michael but your problem sounds identical to mine so hopefully we will both be put out of our misery!

Post Number: 2
To Paul,

Cheers my man, you asked the right questions and knew the problem i was facing so, no probs butting in. Thanks a trillion. I hope we can both, at long last get theproblem sorted.

Many thanks.

Post Number: 3
To Berny,

Just as Paul suggested my connection at the back of my system is just a subwoofer out marked W.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3832
When setting up the unit, make sure that there is no disk in the player. Go to the Audio set-up menu and tell me the options that you encounter.

Username: Cregganman

To Berny,
Manual states this is what should appear when you press set up(no disk in)and press audio option,
5.1 speaker set up - select
DRC - on
vocal - on
This is what actually appears
Dolby digital - bitstream
DTS - bitstream
MPEG - PCM
sample freq - 48khz
DRC - on
Vocal - on
This unit has very basic connections - two scart sockets and a s-vhs connection.I am connected to a Goodman's widescreen TV va good quality scart lead.
Many thanks,

Post Number: 4
To Berny,

My set up is excactly the same as Pauls.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3849
Gentlemen I have to apologize as I am now out of my element. I just flew in to Korea from the US on a grueling 15 hour flight. SIGH!

I am rather out of resources at the moment. But I will still try albeit at a very limited capacity to sort out your subwoofer dilemma. My responses will probably be far between as I have not settled in as of yet. But I hope that in the meantime someone will be able to help you sort this out.

For the meantime, what happens when select the 5.1 speaker set-up. Does it ask about the size of the speakers i.e., small, normal, large? It should also ask about a subwoofer set-up.

To Berny,
Thanks very much for persisting with this especially after a 15 hour flight! Anyway just to make things a bit clearer-The problem is that the option to select the 5.1 speaker set up simply won't appear after selecting audio in the menu options.Instead it appears as I stated in the post above. Therefore unable to check speaker size subwoofer set up etc.The manual is no help whatsoever-it simply states "speaker settings are only active on the analog multi channel output"
Thanks,

Gold Member

Post Number: 3860
Ah, I think I see the problem.
Since you are not using any of the dedicated outputs of your home theatre(am I correct in assuming this), try resetting the the bitstream and all your digital outputs to off. I am thinking that whne you activated those features, it was set up to ouput to a separate outboard amplifier. Turn off the DTS and Dolby digital output and see what happens.

Post Number: 3
To berny,
Many thanks for the update,
I should have mentioned that I bought this system second hand so it may well have been originally set up to output to a seperate amp.However I don't know how to reset the bitstream and all digital inputs to off.The only option in the audio menu is Dolby bitstream or PCM. Same for DTS.So am unable to turn off DTS and Dolby digital-Presume it is the same for Michael-any ideas greatly welcomed

Post Number: 4
Sorry forgot to add-not sure what the dedicated ouputs are but at the moment I have all six speakers connected five of which are working(not the subwoofer)Cable tv box is also connected and working fine.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3867
yes try changing the dolby and dts to pcm. Then see what you get out of the speaker select.

Post Number: 5
Tried this-no luck I'm afraid, still no access to speaker select.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 434
Gentlemen,
Assuming "DRC" means "dynamic range control", I would turn that off. I have no idea why there's a "vocal" setting, but just for fun turn that off as well. This probably won't change the sub problem, but it won't hurt to try...

Also, is there any kind of control for the volume level for each individual speaker? If so, is the sub's volume turned up?

Post Number: 6
Message to John,
Tried turning off DRC and vocal but makes no difference. Unfortunately there is no volume control for each indidual speaker just the overall volume control,
many thanks,

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 435
I'm guessing there's no controls of any kind on the subwoofer itself?

Also, don't forget to go back to "bitstream" on DD and DTS, which is where it should be set.

Post Number: 7
To John,
went back to bitstream on DD and DTS with DRC and Vocal off but still no joy. No controls on the subwoofer as it is a passive sub part of the all in one system,
thanks,

Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 6
I searched the internet for your model but could not find the exact one. I did find a similar one. This one does have a test tone function.
http://us.lgservice.com/jsp/common/download.jsp?DOC_ID=KROWM000030409&FILE_NAME= KROWM000030409.pdf&ORIGINAL_NAME_b1_a1=DT-587M_NA1UZZ_58B.pdf&FILE_GUBUN=I
=======================
Test Tone
This function allows you can easily adjust the sound
balance of the speakers from the listener's position.
1 Select the test tone mode by pressing TEST
TONE.
• A hiss noise comes out for 2 seconds from each speakers
in the following order;
FL (Front Left) ->; C (Center) ->; FR (Front Right) ->;
SR (Surround Right) ->; SL (Surround Left) ->;
SW (Subwoofer) ->; FL (Front Left)
2You can adjust the sound level during operating
the test tone, first press LEVEL then press v/V
buttons, so that all speaker's sound level is
same from the listener's position.
• During operating the test tone, if you adjust the sound
level, it will be paused in the current speaker channel.
==========================
If it's true that you can't control individual levels, then the only thing I can think of is that you might have somehow set the unit to Virtual mode (using only 2 main speakers to simulate surround sound)?

Post Number: 8
message to Hank,
many thanks for the help.greatly appreciated. This system does have a test tone function and a way of adjusting individual speaker volume. Problem is I can't access 5.1 speaker set up as indicated in the posts above.At the moment the speakers(apart from sub)sound fine using DD or DTS for DVD and Dolby pro logic2 for TV

Gold Member

Post Number: 3875
aaahh, this is really stumping me

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 436
Me too. Believe it or not, I woke up this morning thinking about this. This is not rocket science! The damned thing should be working...

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3901
I think they are offering a new curriculum at the university.
HT Sciences...

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 437
LOL Berny--not a bad idea. Sign me up. I need to burn some midnight oil on room acoustics.

One might conclude that the sub amp isn't working, but since there's two people with the same problem it seems very unlikely, although not impossible.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 438
The manual states that speaker settings are only active on the analogue multi-channel output.

This statement bothers me. Do they mean via the scart out?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3902
hmmm...look in the back of your receiver and describe all the output jacks.
When they say "analog multi-channel output", it usually means that there are line level outputs that need to be coupled to an external amplifier. In you case, you should have 5 different coloured output jacks at the back of the ht system, along with regular speaker outputs. Please check this.

Post Number: 9
message to Berny,
There are six output jacks on the back for attaching the speakers. These are of the clip on variety.No different colours apart from the red and black connections on each one for the two seperate wires. they are labelled Front left Front right etc.That's it for speaker connections I presume because it's an all in one system there is no need for a seperate amp.
Thanks,

Gold Member

Post Number: 3915
That is it? No other, RCA type outputs nor optical outputs?

Post Number: 10
reply to Berny,
That is it.The only other connections in addition to the speakers are as follows; FM/AM ariel connections for the radio tuner,connection for TV ariel, two SCART, one s- video connection.No optical or RCA outputs surprisingly for a fairly recent model.
thanks,

Gold Member

Post Number: 3925
OY! (again)
I am really at my wits end!

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 440
But...how can there be a test tone for the speakers without a way of adjusting the levels?

Is there some sort of switch on the front of the unit like "internal/external" or something like that?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
message to John,
Basically by selecting 5.1 speaker set up in the audio menu you then have access to both the test tone and volume adjustment for the individual speakers.The problem is that for some reason this option simply does not appear although according to the manual it should.(See previous posts). Can't see any switch on the front of the sort you describe.
Many thanks for your continued assistance.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 442
I keep thinking it's something simple and right under our noses, but I just don't know what it could be.

Sorry :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Looks like the end of the road. my guess is that the previous owner has done something they shouldn't with the settings(probably why it ended up for sale second hand).If anybody out there knows how to enter the service menu-like you do to change the region setting I believe-that might be a way of restoring the 5.1 speaker setting or at least checking if's it shows activated.I think it normally involves inputting a number sequence with the remote.Any ideas on this greatly welcomed,

Anonymous

Yuo must to rewrite firmware. The problem is only in the software. I had similar problem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Many thanks for the reply,
Can you tell ne how I rewrite the firmware?

Anonymous

This is the problem, because it know make only service.

Username: Totegs

Did you get this sorted out ?
I bought this system new from Richer Sounds it has been working fine up until last week and now I have exactly the same problem, as far as I know I haven't altered anything. I can't access the Dolby 5.1 Set up. I'm going to try something tonight if I have any joy I'll let you know otherwise its going back to the shop to be mended maybe for this firmware rewrite business !

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Message to Totegs,
No luck with this I'm afraid.I bought this system second hand on e-bay(advertised as in full working order!)so have no warranty and I guess I'll be better off replacing than forking out money for a repair presuming it is the firmwear.Curious that three of us have had the same problem. Also I've noticed that the speakers are interfering with the TV screen, producing a noticeable flicker when playing DVD's, despite being magnetically shielded. Tried another DVD player with my TV and it was absolutely fine so it might be worth your while keeping an eye out for that problem as well. Anyway let me know how you get on with your attempted fix,

Username: Totegs

Edward,
After contacting the LG Website I was given a number to ring. Basically, as another member mentioned previously they say it is a Firmware problem and they will replace the unit, the one I have is about 3 months old so I am not sure if they are doing this under the guarantee or not or if they will replace any unit affected by this problem ! I'm sure it would be worth giving them a ring.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
To Totegs,
Many thanks I'll give it a try,

cedric
Unregistered guest
hi there!
i also bought this all in one system last christmas... since then i brought it three times back to the shop... always because of the same probs as you three guys had... it always worked fine for 2 or 3 weeks and then the software resetted itself...

Fudged
Unregistered guest
I have had to have the firmware reloaded twice after contacting LG UK direct, but the second time the engineer promised in writing that would sort it for good, as the first engineer had loaded the wrong firmware image!

Cross fingers... ;-)

Unregistered guest
I bought from Germany a Home cinema Lg(combi dvd-vcr)LH-CX247p.After 3month the sound from the rear speakers is off(the rear speakers are not to be see in the audio menu).Also the speed(2x,4x..)doesn't work.After a week the subwoofer doesn't work no more.The sound in subwofer is availeble from the speaker's test.I can't find enywhere a softwere or firmwere to rewright the soft.Can someone help me?

Bronze Member
Username: Stevizard

Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Post Number: 17
Hi Anonymous,

Everyone has been working overtime on this one. I have just one simple suggestion . . . set your front speakers to "small". Some receivers will not output any subwoofer signal when the front speakers are set to "large". Instead, they route all bass signals to the front L/R. Give it a try, it can't hurt.

Steve

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 35
u say u checked sub and it works and its passive. u have six "channel" if u will amp.
ur "w" channel doesn't work w/ ur sub. try the sub in an audio channel such as ur front left or vice versa and try a front speaker in ur "w" jack. this will tell u if u have a blown channel. if any channel is gonna blow w/ ur htib, it is ur sub channel as its more demanding. maybe i missed something skimming over everyone's posts. but seems to me this should be first thing u should check is whether ur getting power from that specific channel, cause to me sounds just like the channel is dead

-jeff

Username: Fudged2005

*** This is due to a firmware problem ***

Don't try to fix this yourself, as LG told me that there was nothing else I could do but return it to them for a firmware reload. I have now had to send my unit back three times over a period of six months and have just received it back again today, hoping that my formal complaint to LG's UK head office has finally produced a result.

There appears to be a firmware loaded that was designed for two different machines. The problems happen (nothing in particular triggers this, it seems completely random) when it changes all the menus and operating modes to the 'other' machine. No surround sound, or speaker set up menu. No DPL II and on mine the DVD video output changes from 50hz to 60hz. Some extra options do appear, such as sound equaliser settings of POP, Techno, Rock etc. With no subwoofer output, or DPL II, these are not very useful.

So contact the store you bought it from, or LG direct, as this is an 'inherent fault' with the machine, not one due to normal wear and tear and in the UK you can claim on this for up to six years after purchase.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7015
3 times??? I think it is time to replace that with another brand.

Bronze Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 42
ya no kidding sounds like a bit too much of a headache over a $300 htib. i would just put it in the trunk and go to some field and pull an "office space" on that mofo.

Bronze Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 43
o ya, don't forget ur louisville slugger or u may hurt knuckles :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 7051
LOL
Having beer again jeff???

Username: Reubenleung

I used to have the same problem with my model, namely LH-T250, but have sovlved it unexpectedly.
I tried to switch terminals between the subwoofer and one of the other speakers. It turned out that all five speakers sounded, although the sounds from the two speakers concerned were misplaced. I switched them back and, surprisingly, the problem was gone. I reflected and found that the only difference before and after was that now the red and black wires of the subwoofer were not pushed too deep inside the jack. In other words, the cut ends of the wires just protruded a very short length beyond the clip of the jack, in a way that they were not in contact with the inside lining. Out of curiousity, I reversed the situation and tested the speakers again. Bingo! The problem came back again. I couldn't believe it was so simple. I wonder if it would work on your models, but as you all said, it is no harm trying.

Username: Sud

hello
I have the same problem ...
did you manage to fix it ??

thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 84
my sister has got a new lg system and the woofer was. out so the wires looked a bit tarnished on the contacts i reclipped the speaker wire re striped and inserted them and woofer came to life giving nice rich full sound.

Username: Sfischo

Carbondale, IL United States

I had the same problem, returned system once, same subwoofer problem (no sound)and tried the solution of lengthening the subsoofer leads and, lo! it worked, as advertised. Lord knows why LG doesn't surf forums to find out what's wrong with their product(s)and fix it? Bad business model, I guess.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us