A/V receiver for KEF KHT 2005.2

Username: Marvinbeaverdip

Post Number: 1
I'm considering (very likely buying, after hearing them today) the KEF KHT 2005.2 setup. However, I don't have an A/V reciever, and from reading this forum, it sounds like these speakers need a bit more power. What can you recommend for UNDER $500? if not $500, what's the closest thing? and why?

p.s. spelling counts.
:-)

Phoenix Dave
Unregistered guest
I have the KEF 2005.2 speakers and the Denon 2805 AV receiver. I'm pleased overall. These speakers are rated at 100 watts and the 2805 delivers that. If there is an area for improvement, I think the front center channel needs more midrange and bass.

the lizard
Unregistered guest
I agree with phoenix dave.The 2805 is a pretty nice machine.It's really good with movies and DPL2x.Probably a pretty good as a pre-amp unit if the power reserves no longer satisfy you in the future.The yamaha rxv657 is definitely one to watch though.I always liked the silent nite feature they have,crossover points at 40,60,80,90,100,110,120,160 and 200....unusual at this price.Yamahas never dissappoints movie wise and this one supposedly is very good in stereo and two channel.That makes sense because of it's XM ability(they know you will have the radio on all the time) wich by next year will be on all the recievers.Good speakers(kef's sub is great)are good speakers but recievers are always getting better every year.You're making a good choice with the kefs.If your space is small and the kefs will not graduate to larger spaces then the rxv657 is a valued choice.I personally always felt that if i purchased the 2805(probably a bit more gusto the the rxv657), i would be selling myself short of the superior 3805.Either save up for the 3805 or invest in really good cables and a nice power supply to enhance your quiet or black levels.Check out ps audio....check out ebay or audiogon...

Username: Marvinbeaverdip

Post Number: 5
Ended up buying a Marantz SR7400. Yeah, these speakers need some power behind them to really sing, and they definitely sing. Had a real chance to turn it up this weekend and listen to some good tunes. I'm VERY happy with my choice. I listened to the Denon as well. I liked it quite a bit, but liked the Marantz just a bit better. The only question I still have with this 2005.2 setup is, should I set the sub crossover point to the highest setting on the sub itself and let the receiver act as the crossover, or is it common to adjust the sub to a desired level manually?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us