How to connect tivo with cable box, receiver and plasma tv

Anonymous

Need help. Just got the system and lots of advice on how to connect with tons of pictures for set up but none show a dvi connection....

Here's what I want to do. I want to hook up my HDTV using a DVI to DVI/HDCP cable. I was told to do this directly from the cable box. Easy enough.

I have a TIVO series 2 DVR and a HD cable box that I want to use in home theater. How do I connect these to my Yamaha HTR 5890 receiver to get the best results and an easily manageable system.

I have my surround sound speakers hooked up, no questions there until I get everything else hooked up to see if they work right.

Username: Hhuffman

Post Number: 2
I am no pro, but have a similar set up as you. Hook your DVI directly into the Video One jack on your TV (Tivo cannot play HD-TV so it woundn't benefit from the DVI cable anyway). Run audio and video cables from cable box to Tivo and then from Tivo to TV Video 2. So when you are watching Tivo, turn your receiver to Video 2. When you want to watch HD programming, or On Demand cable, bypass the Tivo by switching receiver to Video 1.

There is more to the complete setup, but the point is that you should have your TV and amp set up so that you can bypass the Tivo when you don't need it for better viewing. Now you know why Tivo doesn't talk about DVI.

Anyone else want to pipe in?

Heath

ysh213
Unregistered guest
Actually, Tivo can play HD if you have an HD DVR.

Username: Hhuffman

Post Number: 3
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Series 2 box does not handle HD. I just looked around the Tivo site and found no mention of HDTV which leads me to believe that they do not yet support it. In fact that is one of the reasons I am thinking of leaving Tivo for Concast becasue Comcast can record in HDTV.

Anonymous

DirecTV has a HR10-250 which records in HD. Not sure if Dish network has one.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us